Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jack Read Update

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fretlessrock, Aug 24, 2005.

1. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I had to drop a line to Jack today and he is well but:
    His website is down for the count, expect something new soon.
    Some of his basses are being sold via Bunnybass.
    He is concentrating on the Purity preamps.

You can contact him by phone at (978) 779-0075

No commercial interest here, but I am a customer, and thought that i'd share an update since Read Custom is going through some "growing pains" at the moment.

Pete

2. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    I hope that nothing really important.

The Read Purity is one of the best preamps out there. I love mine and Jack was a pleasure to deal with when I bought it. A+ customer service.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I am sorry to see that Jack won't be building basses anymore, but I do love my Purity, and I'm thrilled that he's going to keep at the preamps!

Tom.

4. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    That's too bad that he's not doing basses at all anymore, he was one of my favorites. But you have to do what you have to do. I'm just glad I was able to get a creation of his. He has a Lake Placid Blue Model J coming up on Bunny Bass soon, and of course there was the Zebrawood fretless I posted. Thankfully someone put a hold on it and stopped my temptation :)

5. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    what everyone else here said. Jack is a nice guy that treats his customers right. The Purity is an AWESOME pre.

I hope the changes work out for him.

6. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I'm not trying to put words in Jack's mouth, but I would be surprised if he didn't pick up with building more basses at some point. Right now I think that it is all he can do to keep up with the Purity operation.

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That would be great! He builds a darn good instrument!

Tom.

8. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago

+1 to everything here.

I love my Purity, and have nothing but great things to say about dealing with Jack. He's aces in my book.

9. I spoke with Jack last night and he said that he would be packing up the Model J along with two Fenders and shipping them out to me this coming week. So, hopefully the Model J LP Blue will be here by next Friday. I will post a note on the basses page on the BB site when it arrives. :bassist:

Jimmy @ BunnyBass

10. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    To echo everyone else's statements here, Jack Read is a wonderful man to do business with and he's a genuinely good guy. The Purity preamp is worthy of every bit of praise that it gets. I wish him all the best in the future.

- Art

11. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Great, I can't wait to see it. I'm the guy who bought the white P-bass a few weeks ago. My gas is settled (well, now that the Zebrawood fretless has a buyer ;)) but I love seeing his work.

12. Wow. I just saw this and had no idea that he is no longer (or at least for a while) building basses. The only bass I own is a Read Custom that he built for me 5 years ago. It is a four string with mahogany body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard, Hipshot bridge, Schaller locking tuners, and.... Lane Poor passive soapbars! (The LAST pair Jack had laying around as Lane went out of business around that time). The bass is super sleek, has tight string spacing, and weighs a mere 7.5 lbs. My "one and only" and I do not mind it that way at all.

13. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    has there been any word from jacks camp? is he still in business, or at least is he well. while i had not had the chance to become a customer, he was always very helpful via email, on this board, or via other bass mailgroups.

i hope he is doing ok.

i think i have permanent gas for his basses, and purity pre's.

14. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    It's nice to see Jack's name on this board again. I also hope he's doing well. I havn't spoken to him in quite a while. He deserves the best. He's definately one of the good guys out there.

15. well, he did such a good job on them...i would hope that one day he starts basses again

16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I'd gotten away from my Purity for a few months... I was using my dirtier preamps (RBI, IOD, SVP). But I've recently rediscovered the beauty of the Read... it sounds so perfect through my Berg HT cabs. I'm glad to hear Jack's back (or will be shortly).

One of the very minor but still cool features of the Purity is the Fender amp jewel. I have replacement jewels in five different colors: amber, red, green, blue, purple (yeah, I'm a geek...)

17. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I spoke with about 2-3 months back. He is still trying to get the preamp business off the ground. Stay tuned.

18. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Always groove.... Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Good news!

19. brandonwong

brandonwong

Dec 16, 2003
    This is the first time i read about Read's preamp.
    Can someone enlighten me? Why is it one of the best in the business?

Brandon