Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jackson JPB-9 bass - ever seen one ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jimfriar, Feb 21, 2006.

1. I have a chance to get one of these guys - has anyone ever owned one ? or have any info on them ? I think they are MIJ - and only for a little while in the mid 90's ? Any info at all would be appreciated.

Thx

Jim

2. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    I've never played that particular model before, but I have a soft spot for Jackson basses (being a Jackson exclusive guitarist myself) and that thing looks stunning!
    Just to clarify: it is this that you mean, yeah?
    [​IMG]

3. yakesm

yakesm

Jan 25, 2006
    Ionia MI
    Never seen the JPB-9, I have an 8 looks almost identical, body shape, pups, neck etc. How about a JPB-8 anyone have one of those?

4. sorry - my bad - this one is a JPB-8

5. yakesm

yakesm

Jan 25, 2006
    Ionia MI
    To my knowledge this was a three month run by Jackson. A lawsuit by a german luither put a halt to the production. I am also looking for more information as you do not see many of them. It would be nice to know how many jackson made.

6. doti

doti

Feb 23, 2008
    I actualy own one, and have been playing it for quite some time. it,s a good bass but has trouble with the neck.. too weak.

7. farfadet

farfadet

Jan 26, 2008
    Paris, FRANCE
  8. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    They do look pretty similar, but I think these "shape copy" lawsuits are such a load of tripe. Look at all the Fender rip offs! :rollno:

9. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    People can copy Fenders because they don't have the body shapes copyrighted.
    Personally, I'd be pissed if I was a small luthier and some massive company stole my design.

10. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Your first point is indeed true but...

if people want a boutique bass, they will go to a boutique luthier like Marleaux. If people want an "off the rack" bass, they'll buy one of those. Either way, stopping Jackson making these basses never changed anything, and, regardless of the quality of basses made, I doubt Marleaux will ever be anything more than a "fringe" luthier, and never one of the "big boys" of the field.

11. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    All the more reason to defend what is yours IMO.

12. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Like I say, fair enough, but at the end of the day, I doubt Marleaux would have ever lost even one sale from Jackson making those basses.

13. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx

Don't know the histories but the Jackson is quite old. I remeber seeing one back in the ninties and they were being discontinued. One of the nicest feeling necks I've ever played.

14. freakinded

freakinded

Dec 4, 2011
  15. I owned a JPB7 for years. I loved that thing to death. Skinniest neck on any bass Ive ever played and I loved the body shape. I also used mine for death metal. Killer sounding bass.
    Everything people said is correct, kinda. 1 year run, (1995 I believe) about 1200 made, ended because of a lawsuit by Marleaux. There were 3 models JPB7, 8, 9.
    Heres some pics for comparison and difference
    JPB7
    http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad86/analpoundingpoopiehammer1/JPB7dmv.jpg
    Notice the different bridge and tuners on this model (though still factory parts for this model)
    http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad86/analpoundingpoopiehammer1/jpb7.png
    JPB8
    http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad86/analpoundingpoopiehammer1/JPB8npb.jpg
    JPB9
    http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad86/analpoundingpoopiehammer1/JPB9nat.jpg
    And here is mine
    http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad86/analpoundingpoopiehammer1/1995JacksonJPB7-1.jpg

If you any questions I would be more then happy to do my best to answer them! And hope this info was helpful!

16. freakinded

freakinded

Dec 4, 2011
    I own 2 - Best friggin neck and pick up tone ever. I have a $2000.00 Brian Moore next through that pails in comparison. You can see me playing one of them on the link below, i play it every day and want to buy as many as i can find!

enslavethecreation's Channel - YouTube

17. Well heck, if you ever want to get rid of one let me know! I mean that!
    Got any pics of the ones you have?

18. freakinded

freakinded

Dec 4, 2011

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      188.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      142.9 KB
      Views:
  19. Very awesome! Jealous indeed!

20. amimbari

amimbari

May 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    wow talk about an old thread. here's my jpb7.
    [​IMG]
    there have been 3 jppb9's for sale on ebay in the past 4 months, if you wanted to buy every one why didn't you pick one of those up?

( yes freakinded I am also an exclusive Charvel/Jackson player and have a ton of Jackson units over here )