1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jason Newstead might perform with Metallica!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by bassist 4 life, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Cool.

2. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    why did he leave in the first place?

3. Allmanfan456

Allmanfan456

Jan 23, 2009
    Connecticut
    Holy ****! That's awesome! I love Trujillo but Newstead is amazing!

4. Such a simple question, such a complex and elusive answer

5. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    If James could just pull his head out of his own Arse, perhaps they could get something done... Jason rocks!

6. TheHegemon

TheHegemon

Feb 20, 2009
    Amarillo, TX
    Sounds good, thanks for the link

7. i find that very....................interesting :confused::eyebrow::bassist:

8. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    He should be there. He was very important to Metallica during the era that made induction into the RRHoF possible. He deserves to be recognized and rewarded for his contributions.

As for why he left, well I think he finally figured out that he had made enough money to not have to put up with the BS he was constantly subjected to by James and Lars. He wanted to do a side project while Metallica was on hiatus, James said no, Jason said Adios. Thats it in a nutshell.

9. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    They were getting crappy - mainly by indulging the stupid ideas and diversions of Ulrich, Hammet and their old producer. Hetfield was drinking a lot and Urich was sucking at drums and playing nowhere near the level he used to ... so Jason was doing other things and Hetfield tried to be super controlling / possesive and Newsted said adios.
    Later when Metallica (3 plus producer) were in touchy feely group therapy to try to pull their heads out, Newsted responded with something like '***! See what I mean?'
    I think they have since pulled their heads out to a degree and also acknowleged (in so many words) that they screwed up with Newsted.

10. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Jason reminds me of Michael Anthony. He didn't make any trouble, played his heart out, & HE is the one that is missing.

11. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    They also invited Dave to be there, and he couldn't be there because of scheduling reasons, which I thought was cool

12. Psychicpet

Psychicpet Guest

Mar 13, 2004
    Friend and Endorsee of Larry
    cool that Newstead will be there as he totally deserves to be.

that being said, I do believe that Trujillo has brought Metallica back from the brink and enabled them to be the band they could have been with Cliff.

period.

13. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    So what's with the new guy.
    I have not heard him with metallica ( last thing I heard of trujillo or whatever his name is -I sincerely am not sure of it, so , sorry!) was infectious grooves which was kind of a decent outfit I thought at the time.
    He's got that funny and quite possibly deceptive caveman aesthetic going on which makes me think that he may actually be rather good.
    It strikes me he must have a sense of humor too.

Which metallica album(s) would those in the know recommend to someone like me whose knowledege of the band is very limited.

14. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    Master Of Puppets is regarded by critics as their best. It has Burton playing on it.

Self titled (black album) was commercially the most successful. It has Newstead playing on it.

Death Magnetic is the last and first one with Trijiilo on it.

15. WarThumb

WarThumb

Dec 13, 2005
    Norway
    St.Anger?

16. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I beleive Bob Rock played bass on St Anger.

17. JeanBG

JeanBG

Dec 28, 2008
    Belgium
    Bob Rock recorded bass for st. anger...

18. FYI that the induction ceremony will be broadcast live on April 4th on the "Fuse TV" channel. You can go here to lookup whether your TV provider carries it:

http://fuse.tv/channelfinder.html

19. yup, although trujillo is on the dvd that came with some editions of the cd, in the uk at least. the dvd also lacks the awful snare sound.

jason's collabs with unkle and sepultura (on the against album) were great, really showing a side to him that didn't get expressed enough in metallica. it would be interesting to see what direction they would have taken if he were still around.