Jazz bass color

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by butterfingers1, Oct 6, 2022.

1. Black

86 vote(s)
    40.2%
  2. Black and white

49 vote(s)
    22.9%
  3. Antique Sunburst

79 vote(s)
    36.9%
  1. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

Not crazy about that particular burst. So black/white.

butterfingers1 likes this.
  2. GregT

GregT

Jan 29, 2012
    Southwest Missouri
    I would only choose the black with the dark fretboard because I am not a fan of maple fretboards on most basses. I would change the pickguard to black also. But then I'm a bit biased. Both of my Fender basses are black on black with rosewood fretboards.

3. sonic 7

sonic 7

Aug 10, 2011
    Queens, N.Y.C.
    My favorite Jazz bass color is white/ tort pick guard/ matching headstock. Close second would be Antigua.

aus_bass and butterfingers1 like this.
  4. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
  5. Alessandro Cruz

Alessandro Cruz

Jul 23, 2018
    Until you coat them with clear finish...

6. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    Get stuck with? Nothing wrong with Ferro at all.

7. Alessandro Cruz

Alessandro Cruz

Jul 23, 2018
    Some people will keep whining about Pau Ferro for the aesthetics, while for me the main thing is functionality.

If one's the main concern, I present you the following... [​IMG]

8. CallMeAl

CallMeAl

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    I like the first, black n white.

normally I’m a big fan of burst/black/maple… but if that’s the exact bass you’re looking at I’d pass. Too much black, not enough burst. Looks whack!

garp and butterfingers1 like this.
  9. butterfingers1

butterfingers1

Apr 22, 2019
    Montreal
    I know what you mean about the sunburst, it’s part of the new Squier 40th Anniversary line. But the more I look at it the more it’s grown on me. Aged, dignified, solemn.

CallMeAl likes this.
  10. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Waterloo, ON Canada
    Black is great if you want to disappear even more on stage.

CallMeAl, Marko 1 and butterfingers1 like this.
  11. rickwrench

rickwrench

Oct 29, 2016
    Golden State
    I see nothing green.
    All meet minimum expectations.

Rick

12. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    Indian Laurel can look amazing too! Just take a look at Gretsch guitars! But like you said, with Fender/Squier it can vary a bit. Some of them look very nice, others are rather bland and grey. I guess Fender must go for for the cheapest wood they can find. With a Fender/Squier I would take laurel over their ugly pao ferro any day though!

For what it's worth my Epi Embassy is pao ferro. They now seem to have changed the specs to laurel. If yours looks like rosewood, is it possible that it's an older Embassy? Mine looks VERY much like rosewood and is a great example of how beautiful pao ferro can be, even on cheap instruments. Just not with Fenders.

13. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    No it's not. Pau ferro is much closer to the rosewood family than indian laurel, at least from a biologial perspective. But none of them are true rosewoods (although pao ferro is sometimes referred to as Santos Rosewood, as well as some other names with "rosewood" in it).

Last edited: Oct 7, 2022
  14. Marko 1

Marko 1 Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    If you do see anything, it'll be a bunch of smudge marks. :D

15. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Well, you're not wrong. (...says the Aerodyne owner. :whistle:)

N4860, Marko 1 and butterfingers1 like this.
  16. Doug4321

Doug4321

May 29, 2017
    Oregon
    Normally I’d say sunburst but the black and white really looks best of those particular three.

17. I’m not a fan of black bodies (on Fenders at least), so the sunburst for me.

18. butterfingers1

butterfingers1

Apr 22, 2019
    Montreal
    2017 Epiphone Embassy, first year of production, pretty sure it’s laurel. And this is before I oiled it, it’s now darker.

FC6F9043-584D-446B-932B-3D833DD18CD8.jpeg

S.F.Sorrow likes this.
  19. pepj

pepj

Mar 25, 2021
    I'm into custom colours atm but the sunburst out of those 3.

20. badinage

badinage Supporting Member

May 25, 2021
    ^^^^
    I agree with this. Jazz basses look good to me white/lean vintage white, or some lighter variation of blue/green, (but not LPB, it's too common now and seems to often now lean too "royal-blue" in hue).

As a fan of dark boards, I also dislike the "Fender-version" washed-out corrugated box-looking Pau Ferro. Indian Laurel is acceptable, kinda sorta. F-1 Oil helps kinda-sorta. I'm about to try "Mohawk Fingerboard Oil", I hear it infuses a more permanent darkening. I have two 2022-version Squier CV60s Ps with Indian Laurel for a good side-by-side comparison. We'll see.

I wish Fender would get the message on the super-dry washed-out Pau Ferro being a turn-off (to the point of "deal-killer") for (apparently) some considerable portion of us.