Jazz bass color

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by butterfingers1, Oct 6, 2022.

1. Black

86 vote(s)
    40.2%
  2. Black and white

49 vote(s)
    22.9%
  3. Antique Sunburst

79 vote(s)
    36.9%
  1. butterfingers1

butterfingers1

Apr 22, 2019
    Montreal
    Help me choose between these 3 jazz basses, based mainly on the colour.

(Although they range from Squier Affinity, to Squier 40th Anniversary, to Fender Player, they are all fine for me.)

7B529CA5-EFFE-4F74-947F-5E5B359F4AAD.jpeg 576368D3-1715-4194-9F14-709E29C8BED1.jpeg FF1D8106-AFB3-48FB-B214-74D1F643EB45.jpeg

ELG60, Squittolo and CallMeAl like this.
  2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Black and maple is the objectively best color combination for a bass guitar. It's just true.

3. Go black on black, with a maple neck, always a classic, and one of my personal favorites.

The Sunburst looks a bit wonky to me, two color, not three, (looks like a rattle-can paint job too) and I have never liked rosewood (or any dark wood) on black.

ThudThudThud, garp, DJ Bebop and 4 others like this.
  4. Basslice

Basslice Supporting Member

May 11, 2008
    Western Massachusetts
    I don't like your limited choices.

Henry Ford: "Any customer can have a car painted any color that he wants, so long as it is black
    ."

5. butterfingers1

butterfingers1

Apr 22, 2019
    Montreal
    Choices must narrow down to one. It was hard enough getting to these three.

C’mon pick one. The comments say black, the votes say black white.

Basslice likes this.
  6. Anything but that burst.

Rezdog, garp, ashtray and 6 others like this.
  7. Mike Vee

Mike Vee

Oct 8, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I'd def say go with Player but with maple neck so you don't get stuck with Pau Ferro.

8. Mike Vee

Mike Vee

Oct 8, 2012
    Los Angeles
    lol yea that is quite horrible

Rezdog, Basslice, garp and 3 others like this.
  9. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Daphne blue. You’re welcome.

sotua, dbbltime, DJ Bebop and 3 others like this.
  10. butterfingers1

butterfingers1

Apr 22, 2019
    Montreal
    What’s wrong with Pau Ferro?

11. Mike Vee

Mike Vee

Oct 8, 2012
    Los Angeles
    it doesn't look good compared to rosewood

12. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    There's nothing is wrong with pao ferro in general. It's an excellent wood for fretboards and it can look gorgeous. A nice piece of pao ferro can look more or less like rosewood. Not like the really dark pieces of rosewood but more like the "brown with black streaks" varieties of rosewood. Beautiful! It's not as oily as rosewood though and will feel different under the fingers. Personally I prefer pao ferro with a finish.

FENDER instruments with pao ferro is a different matter. They look like :vomit:. I don't know where Fender get their ugly, pale (and sometimes even ORANGE) looking pao ferro but they must have gotten a huge batch of B-grade pao ferro for cheap. No-one does an ugly pao ferro like Fender. Every Fender pao ferro board I've played has also felt horrible under the fingers. It feels like they dropped the final sanding. Nails on chalkboard. The can look/feel SLIGHTY better with a bit of oil (Fender ship them out bone dry) but they still feel rough and look very bland IMO.

Before Fender started using their sub-standard, ugly looking pao ferro on cheaper MIM models it was considered a boutique choice used by many top luthiers. It still is (to some extent) but it has probably become more difficult to sell pao ferro as a top quality wood after Fender ruined it's reputation.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2022
  13. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    Looks like crap.

teh-slb likes this.
  14. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

If it were my money, and I could only choose from those three, I’d go for the black-on-black Fender Player with the all-maple neck. However, to make it look more “complete” to my eyes, I would immediately throw on some black pearloid Jockomo inlay stickers to give that rather plain-lookin’ fretboard a bit more pizazz. :cool: :smug:

DJ Bebop and butterfingers1 like this.
  15. butterfingers1

butterfingers1

Apr 22, 2019
    Montreal
    That’s interesting. I have a white Player precision with Pau Ferro, I like it, it has its own look, I oiled it new last spring.

I had a 1985 Ibanez with rosewood, yes darker softer oilier (and I never oiled it).

My Epiphone Embassy is supposedly laurel, but it looked like rosewood, and since I oiled it it’s downright luxurious, like ebony.

I had a Squier with laurel that was awful, looked like grey plastic. Yet other Squiers with laurel can look quite nice, it’s very variable.

S.F.Sorrow likes this.
  16. butterfingers1

butterfingers1

Apr 22, 2019
    Montreal
    The black is the Squier Affinity, black white is the Fender Player.

17. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Sorry, my bad. :oops: Still, my vote for “Black” stands.

Also…

There’s an old saying; “There are no straight lines in nature.” (…Japanese, I think.)

butterfingers1 likes this.
  18. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Mascoutah, IL
    Rosewood with the right tort looks pretty good with a black bass IMO, but that was not one of the choices given on this thread. But to your point black bass with a white or black pickguard needs maple finger board.

You know, now that I think about it, I’ve never owned a bass with a maple fingerboard. I’ve use a lot of them, but never owned one. And that’s over 50 years… Huh! My Strat has one, but no basses, ever. Huh.

19. OnTheDownLow

OnTheDownLow Gold Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2020
    I'd say that black and maple looks great on guitars as well. It's just an excellent classic combo, with chrome pieces / ashtray covers it reminds me of an old Cadillac sometimes.

20. I would have to agree, but Squiers don't come with Pau Ferro. They come with Indian Laural, which I understand is from the Rosewood family.