Jazz bass color

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by butterfingers1, Oct 6, 2022.

1. Black

86 vote(s)
    40.2%
  2. Black and white

49 vote(s)
    22.9%
  3. Antique Sunburst

79 vote(s)
    36.9%
  1. churchman

churchman

Jul 15, 2010
    I had a 63 Placid Blue jazz, painted head stock, always had a thing for placid blue. I really like Sherwood green. But greens run the spectrum in color. I'd have to see something in person to like it.

badinage and butterfingers1 like this.
  2. butterfingers1

butterfingers1

Apr 22, 2019
    Montreal
    Maybe the original photo didn’t do the black white justice.

BBEF87DB-6EE2-427D-8119-23AE9697E06C.jpeg

3. Heavy Blue

Heavy Blue

Nov 11, 2017
    Prairie Canada
    I concur.

Stuck? It's funny how PF was considered to be a boutique wood until Fender started using it on the Players Series basses and it seemed like half of TB lost their ever loving minds from the trauma induced ffs.:rollno:

I never heard anyone whining when the SRV strat came out with a PW board and it looked very similar to these ones to me. Oil does wonders in that regard too but it's oil, not dye lol.

I love mine. Great basses and a solid value. Mine is in the now sadly discontinued Sonic Red and the PF goes particularly well with it. Sounds good with Chromes.:thumbsup:

PF isn't magically an identical replacement for rosewood. Imo, it has also more "snap" than RW but warmer than maple. Yes, the edges could perhaps use a little rounding. Not hard to remedy that.

Folks are annoyed that MIMs no longer have rosewood boards so they're being pissy about PF. First world problems eh?

Anyways, to the OP...
    I ignored the colours. You can't hear with your eyes and the Player is just plain better than either Squier hands down.

I still have Squier VMs & CVs and they're alright for their price point but in no way are they equal to my Player (other than the godly VM70s Jazz neck which is nearly a perfect player).

One point. The first gen Squier CVs (pre-2019) were MUCH better than current production. Mine is NOT one of those and the 1st gen CVs were much closer to parity with the MIMs than current production. If you can find a 1st gen CV, I'd heartily recommend it if it's good order. Probably a bunch for sale on TB right now. The first gen CV series is near legendary around here among Squier fans.

I have a 2nd gen CV60's Precision and whoever passed it through QC should've gotten slapped. My VM70's Jazz blows it away completely in literally every way. Was really disappointed.

Looking at your pics, I'd recommend a Player Jazz in black with a maple board and white pickguard. Very classic combo imo.

Then after you get it and post it on here someone within the hour will tell you to put a tort guard on it lol.

Anyway, your choices are many. Enjoy!:thumbsup:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2022
    Bassinthemudd and butterfingers1 like this.
  4. butterfingers1

butterfingers1

Apr 22, 2019
    Montreal
    Sir, you said everything I thought and was waiting to hear.

Heavy Blue likes this.
  5. butterfingers1

butterfingers1

Apr 22, 2019
    Montreal
    Good sir, you prefer the maple fretboard among these? (Both Fender Player jazz bass).

779E2AA8-C698-438B-84D7-F63BE51A0189.jpeg B8A26EF8-79E5-4B27-908A-B7105FCB40C1.jpeg

6. Heavy Blue

Heavy Blue

Nov 11, 2017
    Prairie Canada
    What I prefer is honestly irrelevant.:) Either will be fine but if I had to pick just one it would be the maple one. Mostly because I already have a Pao Ferro one.

Or maybe Fender will eventually relent and return to rosewood thereby making the PF ones something of a future rarity making future resale potentially better. *Cue to TB in 2052 when the oldtimers are waxing nostalgic about those old MIM Fenders with the PF boards that they made for only a few years. I can hear it already, "I had one. It had a magical tone. I should have never sold it...":laugh:;)*

Honestly, the tonal difference here is not a lot at all if any. I'd just go with what you think looks better. Either should be a winner for you.:):bassist::thumbsup:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
    butterfingers1 likes this.
  7. butterfingers1

butterfingers1

Apr 22, 2019
    Montreal
    Like you I also have a Pau Ferro (Player white precision bass).

Thank you sir, I really enjoyed reading your correct opinions (;):laugh:).

Heavy Blue likes this.
  8. Heavy Blue

Heavy Blue

Nov 11, 2017
    Prairie Canada
    You're welcome as well Sir. Regards from SK.

butterfingers1 likes this.
  9. butterfingers1

butterfingers1

Apr 22, 2019
    Montreal
    Thanks all, I got the Fender Player with maple neck (on the right).

F4310FB6-9CFE-4B5B-A148-2F17572CD5D0.jpeg