Jazz bass color

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by butterfingers1, Oct 6, 2022.

1. Black

86 vote(s)
    40.2%
  2. Black and white

49 vote(s)
    22.9%
  3. Antique Sunburst

79 vote(s)
    36.9%
  1. Swampish

Swampish

Dec 31, 2015
    Quebec, Canada
    I would go with the black and maple. I used to go with rosewood boards only, but now I'm really appreciating the maple. Plus, aesthetically, depending on the body colour, it can really pop or accentuate to overall look. My Jazz Performer is a Seafoam Green with maple neck and I find it to be a really nice looking bass. So many cool colour combinations.
    JB.jpg

2. dalkowski

dalkowski It's "rout," not "route." Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Strictly based on color? Black/black/maple.

(I dislike black basses, but I dislike that burst orders of magnitude more.)

Malak the Mad and butterfingers1 like this.
  3. bmusic

bmusic

Oct 22, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Proud to be the tie-breaking vote (at this point, anyway). That burst is hot.
    And the tinting on the neck...*chef's kiss*

I have never lusted after a Squier so much in my life.

butterfingers1 likes this.
  4. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    I'd normally pick burst, but not that one! Of those three, I'd take the black/white fender. You can always slap a black pick guard on it.

5. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    I like a nice vintage tobacco burst - this is not nice by any measure. If I said that which we are not permitted to say, I think many would also not say the same thing.

TN WOODMAN and butterfingers1 like this.
  6. butterfingers1

butterfingers1

Apr 22, 2019
    Montreal
    I see it as looking like an antique string instrument, you don’t find? Most electric bass sunbursts look a bit 1970s cheesy to me.

7. Esteban Garcia

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    PXL_20211007_220213751.jpg
    On the left is my antique string instrument, flanked by some more modern implementations. I think what bugs me about the squier you posted is that the black on the edge meets the pick guard at the top. It just doesn't look well-planned to my eye. Nothing against a two-color burst per se.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2022
  8. BradH

BradH Gold Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Billings, Mt
    I got to play one of the new Squire 40th Ann. Vintage jazz at a local guitar store & the neck felt fantastic.

aus_bass and butterfingers1 like this.
  9. butterfingers1

butterfingers1

Apr 22, 2019
    Montreal
    I know what you mean about the pickguard overlap but that doesn’t bother me. I find interesting that the overall colour is subdued and unusual that way. Most electric bass sunbursts are more brightly coloured, although this is also very nice, as with your Fender at right.

10. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Given the price differential, a good, solidly built Squier that feels good in your own, two hands can be an excellent modding platform. Throw in some hardware and/or electronics to make it more pleasing to your senses and voilà...a satisfying player that costs as much, or even less than, it's higher-priced contemporaries. ;)

11. Esteban Garcia

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    Yeah, some three-tone sunbursts don't age well, and they definitely don't have universal appeal. If you like that one, go for it!

butterfingers1 and Malak the Mad like this.
  12. Malak the Mad

I can't speak for everyone, but I'm gonna take a guess that those of us who don't like that 40th Anniversary model find the burst pattern to be "sloppy" compared to the more discreet bursts we're used to. I, for one, can enjoy a nice two-color or Tobacco burst finish, but to my eyes, it's like they went a bit too far with the black spray.

At the end of the day, "aesthetics" are a subjective thing. We can't tell you what to like, just how we feel about it. :)

13. butterfingers1

butterfingers1

Apr 22, 2019
    Montreal
    I never modify, use as is or give away. The Squier Affinity is surely good enough for me, for a good few years anyway. Who knows how much longer I’ll be playing.

14. Malak the Mad

Do you mean, "I never modify. I use as is or give away."?

That sounds depressingly "final". :nailbiting:

15. butterfingers1

butterfingers1

Apr 22, 2019
    Montreal
    Sure, I use as is from store, only change strings and setup adjustments. I can say that, nobody here knows my address :roflmao:.

I really should make this my last purchase, it’s my 4th in recent years, my wife is starting to take photos of the basement to compare from month to month.

Malak the Mad likes this.
  16. Sunburst. Ditch the black guard and put on a fresh mint one. '50's kool, Daddy-o!!

17. Basslice

Basslice Supporting Member

May 11, 2008
    Western Massachusetts
    Ok, I don't really like any of the choices, but the sunburst is not well done.

p.s. Both black basses are interchangeable. Getting a new pickguard is easy-peasy. The fretboard is not something I care too much about, but I prefer blocked and bound with some kind of inlay if going for maple, not dots.

18. Bassinthemudd

Bassinthemudd It's all patterns Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2020
    Minnesota
    Well, since tort and flats are universally loved, we needed something to universally hate. Pau Ferro was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

19. butterfingers1

butterfingers1

Apr 22, 2019
    Montreal
    :laugh::thumbsup:

Bassinthemudd likes this.

20. You need one. At least one.

dbsfgyd1 and butterfingers1 like this.