Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jazz Bass or Precision Bass, and why?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Dec 29, 2004.

Jazz Bass or Precision Bass?

Poll closed Jan 1, 2005.
  1. Jazz Bass

162 vote(s)
    70.7%
  2. Precision Bass

67 vote(s)
    29.3%
  1. Which do you prefer: Jazz Bass or Precision Bass? Why?

2. This topic has been done a lot and recently...so do a search, as I sure you are going to get some ribbing, as this is perhaps the most posted topic on these forums. Nonetheless, without really answering your question. I love my P because it has a nice fat tone and I love my Jazz because it is versatile and has that wonderful growl. I guess if I had to chose, I would go for a P with frets and a Jazz that is fretless.

3. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    If you do a search, there a tons of threads on this.

But, I like Precisions...mostly becuase I prefer the neck on them as opposed to the Jazz neck.

Jazzes, with two pickups, are more versatile sounding. The Precision has it's own unique sound and it doesn't vary much from that.

Generally, if you like a straightforward, punchy, solid low end bass sound, the Precision is the one to get.

If you like to slap, or need a variety of tones, the Jazz is the one to get. Both of them are great and only you can determine which feels and sounds right to you.

4. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    P = gutsy, ballsy, authoritative, barks like a big dog.
    J = refined, growls in a nice way.

I much prefer the Precision for my uses.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Get a Jazz, drop in a J-Retro pre. Your search for the perfect bass tone will be over. :)

-Mike

6. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I like both... I choose the Jazz though. I just like how it sounds in the context of my music.

7. i love jazz basses!!

8. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I like the tone and the neck better on the jazz.

9. what does a J retro pre do?

Like both the P and J. If I had to have only one, then I'd get the J. Sex appeal, versatile, comfy and great tone out of the box.

Either the P or J make great fretless basses. I actually like the body style of the J better. The Mark Hoppus bass would be cool in a fretless.

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I prefer P-basses for three big reasons:

1) Playability (the 4-string Jazz neck is too skinny for me)
    2) Tone. For J-like tones, I use P-J basses.
    3) Looks

...and one little reason:

4) Basses with offset waists can be difficult to set on a stand or lean against a wall. :)

11. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Jazz bass. A P doesn't cut it for me, and a P-J just buzzes all the time..

12. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I like the Jazz because I can get a P bass sound out of it if needed but the P bass can't get the Growl that the Jazz has.

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA

It is an aftermarket pre-amp. It is amazing. I love it to death. You can switch from an active tone like Marcus Miller, to the typical passive Fender tone we all love. It gives you the traditional Jazz tone, and opens the door for all kinds of other tones. When on, it made the bass deeper, and "thicker".

They come from the UK, and the guy who makes them, John East, has his own forum over at the Pit. He is easily accesible, and will answer your questions.

-Mike

14. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA

that's a good way to put it!
    I can never choose....so it has to be both!

[​IMG]

15. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    P

16. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Jazz, then get a P. :)

17. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I have both also... Matter of fact I have 4 jazz basses. The P bass works great for many things, but it does not growl. It's got big bottom... Doesn't seem to "cut". What it does it provide a solid foundation. Definitely not a slapper's bass, but you can't beat it for fingerstyle and with a pick. Prefer the necks of the Jazz bass. Slimmer and faster (IMO). Can't go wrong with either one

18. I figured that this had been covered, but when I did a search I coudn't find it. Sorry about that guys, and you can rib me all you like!

19. Well - currently I would choose a P because it's all I have and it's doing everything I need. I plan on getting a jazz in the near future, so my mind may change then :) I used to use a MIA Fender Jazz V that suited everything very well...but I like the sound of my current P better then that bass. We'll see what the new 4 string jazz does for me!

20. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hey Pickebass,
    I see you also own a Walnut p-bass! That bass is the shizznit! Again I say p-basses for the fundamental stuff and a bunch of jazzes for the rest! :hyper: