1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jazz with flats as main bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sigmafloyd, Jan 20, 2012.

1. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

May 1, 2011
    Who out there rocks a jazz with flats as your main bass?

2. ajn

ajn Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Me.

3. Neener

Neener Grumpy Old Dog

Feb 25, 2007
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Me too.

American Deluxe V with Labella's

BassCrap069.

4. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I'm getting in a Jazz as we speak & I'm thinking of going right to flats to mellow it out for church. My ASAT is my in your face cut through the mix beast, I want the jazz to be different.

5. TripleDouble

TripleDouble Guest

Aug 5, 2008
    I did what Tunaman suggests about 3 years ago - A jazz with flats for my go-to bass, and a MM sterling with rounds for when I need to slice n dice. MM hasn't been out of the case in about 2 years...

6. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Sterling HH with rounds CRUSHES the rest of the pack, ASAT, Bongo, Jazz and is clearly my 1 & only bass if forced to choose. I'd take a Jazz over a Sterling H though.

7. played a VM jazz with Fender 9050's for over a year, it was my one and only.

8. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Qu├ębec
    Going on 8 to 9 years with my G&L jazz bass with the same flats as my main player.

9. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    got a couple of sets of flats coming next week...either those or tapewounds are about to go on my jazz.

10. BrBss

BrBss Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    Not a Fender jazz, but yes.

11. Peace Cee

Peace Cee

Feb 9, 2011
    Just put flats on my Highway1 P. I tried flats on a MTD Kingston Heir a while back, and I didn't like it. I put some ghs flats on my P and it rocks. Unfortunately, none of my present projects allow the P to shine. If I played in an rnb group though, I would rock the P...constantlee.

12. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    TI's on both the '78 and the '69

DSCN0097-1.

13. BassBob1

BassBob1

Dec 21, 2010
    I just posted in your other thread about your P bass. Anyway here is my 07 American standard with Chromes:
    photo-3.
    photo-4.

14. I do. This one will be with me and my band Super-Unknown, tomorrow night....

006-2.

15. Jwood

Jwood Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Richmond, Va
    I just put a new set of flats on my jazz today. Figured i'd give it a whirl

16. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    I don't play a J but flatwounds allow a bass to speak in an authoritative accent found nowhere else on the bandstand. The more percussive notes, the ability to dial in a crisp edge without loud finger noise and how un-guitar-like flats make a bass sound are the attractions for me.

Jazz bass - Flatwound vs. Roundwound
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfnczjJW-WU

Black Nylon Flatwounds GHS Test (on a Jazz Bass)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d6lb0-VZ5Y

There's enough selection in flatwounds for four stringed electric basses to find something suitable to one's tastes and ensemble needs. For five stringers pickin's are more slim with Chomes seeming to lead the way in terms of string gauges that appear to be aimed at producing a balanced five string set of flats instead of just being a four string pack with a B thrown in as an afterthought.

17. jkramer5

jkramer5

Jul 14, 2008
    Fairfield, CA
    Lakland Joe Osborne with chromes here.

18. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

I have from time to time.

19. ceruer

ceruer

Aug 27, 2011
    Central Florida
    My main bass is indeed a jazz with flats!