Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Josie

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, I finally talked the band into playing Josie. Y'know, there's a lot going on in there. I've managed to learn all the licks and chain them together, now all I have to do is practice, practice, practice until it is smooth.

Ya' reckon Chuck Rainey invented that part, or did Fagen and Becker write it?

2. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I remember a few Rainey interviews where he said he was upset that the powers that be would not allow him to use portions of SD tunes in his educational materials. He felt he should be allowed because he said he had a big hand in writing them.

SD lore describes Fagen and Becker always had some idea of what they wanted, but allowed the hired guns to contribute their particular "flavor", within limits. "Josie" is an excellent example of the Rainey style, especially evident with the Em double stops.

3. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Yeah, the double stop in the intro is quite a jump but, luckily, the low E before it can be played open (is played open on a 4-string), giving you time to get up to the 11th and 13th frets for the little slide up and down.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    That's a good tune.

5. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    This is very true.

6. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    LIEK OMGH!!!!!!!!1111 TAHTS TEH BESTEST BLINK 182 SONG EVAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111 IT R0X0RZ My S0X0rZ!!!!!1111111

I'm sorry, I had no other choice.

7. I think it might be a different song.

8. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    I'm sure it's a different song, that's why I said it...err, typed it.

9. I was waiting for it ;)

10. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I understand. Now you will be shot at dawn. I have no other choice.

11. Chuck told us a story at WootCamp a couple of years ago; they were on retainer in LA (?) working on the record. Kinda like being on vacation, but on call. Anyways, he's out golfing, or something, and gets a call from the studio...'Can you be here today from 1-5? We want to work on bars 69 and 70 of (whatever the tune was)'.

Four hours to work on 2 bars of bassline??

I heard a similar story about when Mark Knopfler was in the studio...they had him do the take like 99 times, Mark said he couldn't figure out what they were after.

Maybe they hear things that no one else hears.

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The intro even kills me(right after the cool guitar part)...
    F-F#-G-G#

There's a DVD to 'The Making of Aja. IIRC, Rainey demonstrated what Becker gave him...IIRC, it was a basic figure in "E".
    The doublestops are so Rainey as are the little slapped/patted parts.

13. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    They dropped it to Dm live in recent years (check the live CD). Tom Barney covers it on 5 string.

I sing lead also and covering SD tunes (including this one) is always fun (playing Bass while singing the Vocal).:bassist:

14. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Wow, everyone else singled in on the exact parts I was thinking of as 100% Chuck. Did this with my old classic rock band. Learning the tune was the first challenge. Getting a rock band to get anywhere near the groove was another. That band finally dropped the song at my request, because although we got the song down just fine, the groove wasn't there, and the "rock version" we were doing was something that needed to be put out of its misery.

Hope you do better with it, Munj. Great tune. :cool:

15. Re: Josie

The song is brilliant, as is the bass line, personally didn't find it difficult to play (with all due respect to the composition - that's where the magic is ;) :) ). With my band it grooves like a mutha, general audience members really liked it. People who really appreciate music absolutely loved it and always personally express their compliments and thanks at break.

God I wish I could write music like that.

16. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    Josie's on a vacation far away!

17. Aja= great album!

18. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I think you're out in left field myself....

;)

...I was just jamming on this tune with a friend this weekend...awesome tune, just like pretty much every one of the tunes Becker & Fagen have written.

19. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Definitely!

20. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    t4bz

G:---------------------------------------------------
    D:---------------------00000000-22222222-----------