1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just a question regarding effect design

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Rumblefisher, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Hey everyone.

You know how there are P2P wired amps, PCB, and turret boards? Is there an equivalent of these types of designs for effects? Or do they, for the most part, utilize microchips?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. You can get PTP pedals (not as common), PCB pedals, terminal strip pedals, eyelet board pedals and turret board pedals as well as SMD technology.

PTP:

CIMG0871.

Terminal Strip:

P1010015.

Eyelet Board

vh3ji9.

Turret Board

[​IMG]

FuzzFaceGuts_800.

PCB

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SMD

[​IMG]

Hope that helps :)

3. Breadboard, Veroboard and Perfboard

some crazy folks "dead bug" prototype, ie; tape/glue components upside down and solder the ends together.

i prefer perfboard personally.

Many effect pedals utilise microchips in the form of op-amps, and other ICs. All the prototype boards above accomidate IC's as well as all your discrete components.

here is a good place to start

4. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    They aren't mutually exclusive. You can have point-to-point wiring using integrated circuits. If anyone tells you that there is any difference in the way a point-to-point pedal sounds or works, don't listen because they don't know what they're talking about.

5. Don't you just love tone purists? :p

Some of the posts in here are quite amusing:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=474787

6. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Thank you very much!!

@ gnasher1993: Fantastic post!! Thanks a lot for taking the time to post those pictures.

@ mrslunk: Excellent as well, wiki is great :)

@ conical johnson: Smart advice. I'll be sure to keep it in mind.

7. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    They can be neat as sort of a "look what I can do" deal, sort of like "can I make a usable bass out of nothing but plywood?" but I personally wouldn't buy anything made point-to-point because of the increased noise and lower reliability. They also have to be more expensive because of how time-consuming it is to work that way, so it's paying more for something noisier that's more likely to break.

That said, some of the craftsmanship in this kind of work is admirable. This is eyelet board, not true point-to-point, but the build is of really nice quality:

[​IMG]

Edit: Although, looking at it again, I do see exposed high voltage, which is very bad practice, and I believe this device is rendered illegal to sell because of it. :meh:

8. You can't see the pictures on freestompboxes unless you're a member IIRC, that's why I joined...

9. True.

10. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Right, oops. Fixed.