Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kay Endpin Question

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by flyingmarcel, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Hello All,

I'll begin by saying that for anyone who read my old thread regarding a major repair to a chinese plywood - turns out the top was sinking and would require a fairly major repair. I decided to invest the same money in an old Kay which plays and sounds beautifully

Anyhow, my question is in regard to the endpin on this bass - I have included a photograph of the endpin/tailpiece cable area of the bass to make this easier. I'm sure many have seen this set up before, but I am unsure how to tackle this problem. The bass came with an endpin which is inserted into this wooden bracket - However the endpin is much too tall for me to use. Without the endpin in place, the wooden bracket puts the bass at the perfect height for me to play while sitting, but I am worried about damaging the wood and also about the bass slipping while I am playing. Also, it would be nice to be able to stand, rather than always sit.

I am unsure of what you all would recommend as a solution - I am guessing it would not be a great idea to replace the endpin - I kind of like the "originality" of this one, but would be open to suggestions as to a solution - Is there somewhere I can purchase a wooden attachement that would fit this bass? (I am not a big fan of the metal one!) The diameter of the bracket is 7/8"....

Any help is, as always, much appreciated.

fm

Attached Files:

2. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    If the height is good without the endpin in you could put a rubber crutch tip over that wooden bracket. Would help with slipping and also prevent damage to the bracket.

Kevinlee

3. Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the reply - I think that's a great idea, but I worry about getting a crutch tip over this wooden bracket - Sorry, you can't really tell from the photo due to scale, but the wooden bracket is about the size of a crutch tip, so I think it would be tough to find one that would be large enough to fit over the lower bump in the bracket.

As to my other question, about replacing the endpin - Is this common practice on these instruments. I mean, I know I'm not dealing with a 19th century, super rare instrument or anything, but does anyone see it as a major problem to replace this endpin format? The reason I ask is, I just inked a new lease this evening and will have to cart my bass a SIGNIFICANT distance to my new apartment - means I'll probably be in the market for bass wheel and doubt I'll find one that will fit this less than modern system. I have seen some "mini carts" that people push basses around on - Anyone know about these?

Anyone that can help with this quandry, please jump in.....

cheers,

fm

4. jb6884

jb6884

Jan 30, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    I had my Kay endpin replaced last month with a KC Strings one. Couldn't be happier with it. I don't know if it's common or not, but I don't see how it could hurt the value since it improved it's user friendliness... They will have to ream out the end block some, so you can't really go back to the original without major work. I say go for it.

Feel free to PM me if you want more info, or pictures...