1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Keep or sell my Warmoth Telebass? Advice needed

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thurisarz, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Sweden
    I bought my Warmoth Telebass exactly 7 years ago and it's been my no 1 bass all these years. But during this time my taste in basses has changed, and i'm not so sure what to do with my bass. Alot of basses has come and gone thru the years but i tend to hold on to this bass. One of the reasons is that it was a gift from my father, which passed away a few years ago.

The thing is, i'm not so sure if i like the estethical shapes of the body, neck and head and the overall sound. Thru years of bass testing i've come to like "ergonomic" basses like the Ibanez SR which is lighter in weight, has a flatter neck shape and offers a 2/3-band EQ instead of my bass V/T controls. I bought a Washburn 5 string RB bass a couple of months ago, and to be honest, it fits me like a glove. It has that sound i want, nice body shape, love the neck and the 5th string is what i have been looking for.

The positive things with my bass is that it holds the tuning superb, the intonation is perfect and it has a nice old school neck which produces nice bends. And when i try Fender basses and look-a-likes in stores i always come back to my Warmoth thinking it has the best sound for these kind of basses, but still, it doesn't offer My sound and tone.

Should you keep a bass that doesn't play the way you like it but is emotionally connected to you? I don't want this thread to be a discussion of the ups and downs of the telebass, i would like to get objective views of my gear struggle.

2. in your case, sentiment would be the ONLY factor that would matter... but that is just me.

you could try popping an active eq in to see if that makes you want to keep it, but like i said above if it were me sentiment would hold that bass to me more than money ever could.

3. bassdude51

bassdude51 Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    A gift from your deceased Father! KEEP IT!!!!!!! FOREVER!

4. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Sweden
    Thanks for your comments! After some thought, i have decided to keep it. I will try popping in an active eq in it (it has a MM pickup instead of a scpb pickup).

5. Mirios

Mirios

Dec 29, 2010
    Boise, Idaho
    If it has a MM pickup in it you may be able to put a switch on it to if it's a pickup that has different coil options. If you're still not happy with the sound.

6. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Keep it unless you really, really need the money. Play it now and again for the memories. There are some things that are priceless.

7. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist

Sep 10, 2009
    Manhattan
    If you are attached to it, I'd keep it. You never know when you'll come around to wanting to play it again.

Plus, with a Warmoth, you'll take a bath on the resale value.

8. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Aug 20, 2004
    Sweden
    It's a Nordstrand 4.2, IIRC you can't wire a push/pull on to it.

9. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    +1 for the "if it holds sentimental value, keep it!" camp.

Secondarily, I have lots of variants on my tone across bands and genres. I change basses, EQ, amps, and everything else. I've got a bass or two with high action to get more dynamics, one with low action for slapping and tapping, one with a big mudbucker for old school tones, and everything inbetween. I'm a jack of all trades but my point is try to make the bass work for you no matter what it is. If nothing else, find inspiration in it. Find challenge in trying to master it as a unique instrument, not as something that's just not your main player or familiar. I have things that I like playing more than others but they all have their little characters and quirks that brings out something different from me. Make it your something different bass!

10. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    You don't want it to be another 'one that got away', do you?

11. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i'd personally, leave it as it is and keep it (it was your father's bass afterall!), but you can wire a series/parallel push pull pot on an MM4.2. (in series it'll have more low end and volume)

if you want it to be more 'modern' you could also install a 2 band stingray preamp (Nordstand makes them or you could build one of them) and run a stacked treble and bass pot instead of the tone control.

12. Keep it, please. I sold the '69 Precision my father bought me for my 18th birthday (for a whopping $295) and have regretted it ever since--even if it couldn't realistically compare to a modern MIM.

13. MarcMurder

MarcMurder #IIAmerica

Mar 9, 2010
    El Paso, Texas
    keep it.
    you can always get a new pickuguard and try out many preamp options as your taste in music changes.
    on top of that the sentimental value is worth more than any new bass.

14. Aside from the priceless factor of it being attached to your father, you will, as stated before, get next to nothing for it due to it being a Warmoth. This is in no way attibutable to the quality of the components or playability, just 'cause it don't say 'Fender' on the headstock.

P.S. I think that many 'build' basses (Warmoth, U.S. Parts, builders liike Atkinson etc.) do a more consistent job regarding Q.C.-- I have bought such basses at a great $$ and value. My current favorite P is an Atkinson ;)

Would love to see a picture of the bass your dad gifted you.

Marc

15. dejv

dejv

Jan 5, 2012
    Hi!
    I have a bass for you.
    It is a Jonas Hellborg signature "Sound of Sweden Bass"
    Think abouth....

16. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Gift from your father? Keep it.

But... got pics???

17. sgtpepper

sgtpepper

Jan 22, 2010
    Mexico City
    Keep it. The thing with that kind of instruments is the sentimental value they have. For example, in my case, I'll always regret selling my first bass, it was an Epiphone P/J not so much but a gift from my grandfather. I repeat, keep it.

18. Bro you gotta keep it. Your tastes may have swung away, but you will eventually come back to it. Plus, just because you don't love the tone doesn't mean that tone isn't useful.

I wish my dad gave me a bass...

19. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Replace it. You said you really dont like its sound nor asthetics, playbility etc. Time to replace it then. Upgrading pup would solve sound problem provided you could get the right pups. But the rest isnt fixable really.

20. Bass_Thumper

Bass_Thumper

Oct 20, 2009
    Madison, MS
    +1 At some point you'll probably wish you had it back.