1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lakland Owners Group #69

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Feb 18, 2014.

1. TedH

TedH

Dec 6, 2014
    Westchester, NY
    @Holdsg speaks the truth. Pure P out of a MM/J setup is not happening. Their 44-64 P-bass with EMG GZR's is off the charts good for a P sound; whether round or flat. I'll have one in the classifieds shortly.

basspraiser, Holdsg and JEDI BASS like this.
  2. TedH

TedH

Dec 6, 2014
    Westchester, NY
    Turned 50 last week.... Wife heard me talking about my perfect bass being a lighter version of my 44-64, and offered that as a gift. There is now a 44-64 "old guy" on order. The Old Guy (TM), is a chambered 44-64 with Hipshot UL's, a 1.62" neck and EMG GZR's with a candy apple red solid finish.

#Boom

3. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    CONGRATS !!!!!

That should come in at 7 pounds or lighter!!

basspraiser and TedH like this.
  4. MAXSPINRUN

MAXSPINRUN Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Knoxville, Tn
    Doug I knew you would like that! That is one beautiful bass! I know some players have a one in one out rule once the collectin gets to a certain size to accommodate the purchase of a new one.

basspraiser likes this.
  5. Tom P

Tom P

Aug 19, 2004
    Its giving me feelings...:drool:

basspraiser, scallster and JEDI BASS like this.
  6. overbybr

overbybr Supporting Member Supporting Member

the neck is definitely beautiful - not feeling the top though, but I don't like large/straight grain tops either.

7. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Not exactly a direct comparison but I can't get that close to a P with my 44-02.
    I had tried a buddies before I bought one and thought it was reasonably close but not good enough on the gig.

Talked to Bartolini and they agreed with Better Bass Gear Online that this pup is closest to a P:

These pickups are split coil hum-cancelling designs - think of them as a "P-Bass pair in box". These are wound to yield more "growl" from the Bridge pickup. They are very similar to Bartolini’s old 94J pickups, just ever so slightly brighter at the bridge. These have stronger lows and low mids than the typical "vintage" tone.

9 Jazz L/S (Long/Short) – 9J1 L/S, 59J1 L/S, 69J1 L/S, “4 String” size

OTOH, the exact placement is not the same and, I've never heard any J pup nail the P sound

My new to e 44-01 gets much closer to a P but the jury is out until tonight's rehearsal.

When I first tried this bass the neck pup didn't sound anything like my P's and I was disappointed.
    Oddly enough, running the mid control up to near max as well as a small bass bump got me MUCH closer and now the amp shares a very similar EQ to what I use with a P.

Of course, I don't get the same burpy bridge but perhaps a better choice for the music I'm working on right now.

8. TedH

TedH

Dec 6, 2014
    Westchester, NY
    Thanks JJ!

9. Fred312b

Fred312b Proof that gear doesn't make you a better player Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
  10. MAXSPINRUN

Apr 10, 2012
    Knoxville, Tn
    basspraiser likes this.
  11. Fred312b

Fred312b Proof that gear doesn't make you a better player Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    If it had a wenge 'board, I'd be in a lot of trouble... that being said, I suppose I could always order one...:bassist:

basspraiser likes this.
  12. JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    That's HAS to be an ebony board, not rosewood. I'd want to verify that before buying!

That said, I'd prefer an ebony board, on that bass. Ebony on wenge is known to sound fantastic, and is used by many builders... probably as frequently as wenge on wenge. And, the blackness of that ebony is aesthetically pleasing = it matches the pickups and knobs.

basspraiser and Fred312b like this.
  13. MAXSPINRUN

Apr 10, 2012
    Knoxville, Tn
    I wondered the same looking at the pic as closely as I could. Ebony would be my choice. I am not a rosewood board kind of guy. Have only owned one rosewood board over the years.

JEDI BASS likes this.
  14. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    OH MY STARS AND GARTERS!!

I was LITERALLY JUST thinking of this when I saw this post.. I love the Lakland build.. The bodies and necks just sit so so right with me.. and I was just thinking .. if only Lakland made a MM/P config.. because I have never had a P.. and i try to keep my basses practical. The "P" mistique has always eluded me because I have never played a P bass outside of a store.. and I was literally just thinking .. if only Lakland made a MM P config ...

basspraiser, Holdsg and JEDI BASS like this.
  15. Jamvan

Jamvan The Bassist Formerly Known As Meh Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    If only the P was reversed.

JEDI BASS likes this.
  16. JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Yup yup, it’s the best orientation for sure!

17. soundsupport1

soundsupport1

Aug 17, 2017

I dunno...

One thing I could never have is a two-pickup bass where one pickup is exposed polepieces and the other is enclosed. It just always looked like a mismatch to me - like a pickup died and you had to get a replacement quick and just grabbed one from the nearest music store.

I get that it's all to do with tone anyways, and that Lakland don't make an MM/P LH3 set (although maybe they could? LH3P?), but this just looks like a parts bass to me, even though I know that it's a handmade custom shop $4000 instrument. Messes with my head.

Anyhoo,

Peace,
    SoundSupport

JEDI BASS likes this.
  18. JEDI BASS

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    I agree. I can’t handle any out of balance looking P5 pickups either w/ the one side longer than the other, or one half only having poles for two strings while the other half has them for three. First thing I’d do with that bass is stick a set of Barts in it, or all EMG stuff.

19. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    put a Nordstrand Big Split man in there, and you'd be in tone heaven, and exposed pole piece heaven.

20. Holy crap. That sure doesn't suck.

basspraiser and JEDI BASS like this.