Let’s talk coffee

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jmattbassplaya, Sep 1, 2019.

1. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Jan 13, 2008
    Ive become a huge coffee fan over the past couple of years and greatly enjoy a good cup whenever I can get one. The only problem is that my at home coffee skills are severely lacking.

Any tips and tricks for someone looking to up there game?

champbassist and MJ5150 like this.
  2. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    SW VT
    You have to figure out what works for you, and that may change over time.

My current approach, influenced by the flavor profile I like, and ignoring the "coffee industry association offical brew temperatures" (way too hot, and good luck finding a machine that will allow you to adjust that) is to use a large French press (cafetière à piston), put in about 1/4 cold water, add coffee, add sugar if I feel like sugar, or not if I don't, and fill the rest with boiling water, stir - lower temperature brew, less bitter extraction, works for me. 4-5 minutes minimum, but 10 or 15 is not a problem since the temperature does not tend to over-extract bitter parts as hotter water will if left longer.

The same equipment filled all the way with cold water and stuck in the fridge the night before will do you cold brew without any fancy over-priced cold-brew stuff.

If the tiny amount of grounds the French press screen lets through bother you, pour the result though a paper cone filter before drinking. I do NOT bother with any particularly coarse grind for the FP, a few grounds don't bother me, and my temperature adjustment limits over-extraction as a problem.

I recently revisited my inherited Lavazza stove-top steam "espresso" (not really) maker, and put it away again - brews too hot for my current taste.

Aside from the flavor profile, I figured out that the reason I used to add a lot of milk to coffee, and then changed to adding ice in coffee, was simply that "standard" coffee was too darn hot. Starting from a lower temperature, no need.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
    DrMole, Element Zero and MattZilla like this.
  3. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    @MJ5150 is a coffee aficionado.
    He is very knowledgeable in both the roasting of beans and the preparation of the beverage.

He offers beans, selected and roasted personally, for sale. I have made several purchases myself and have been well pleased.

Which reminds me, my pantry is almost bare. PM incoming, Mike.

4. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    Cafetiere, 2 big spoons ground south American coffee, brew for about 5 mins - is my favourite. I don’t have any particular coffee knowledge though...

5. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Rancilio Silvia here. Using fresh roasted beans sourced from a small roaster in Montreal.

Double shot to make a flat white first thing in the am keeps me going!

MattZilla likes this.
  6. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I'm in the Bialetti stovetop espresso maker camp.
    Strangely I don't find it makes too hot a coffee but that's obviously a subjective thing.
    Freshly ground beans are good...but I find Lavazza gold label ground coffee excellent.
    I must hit up MJ5150... didn't realise he sold the stuff!

Picton, Erik Asma and pie_man_25 like this.
  7. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    SBassman likes this.
  8. rufus.K

rufus.K Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    15673519069468448195057631940682.jpg
    Instant from Sprouts (or Mt. Hagen)

9. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Not a coffee snob but I do like my espresso like coffee I make in my Aeropress. Just finished a shot. I get my beans at Costco. I like a brand called San Francisco Bay Gourmet, the French roast is good. Plus it costs $15.00 for three lbs.

10. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    French Press. Easy and excellent.
    But if your roast is too dark you may summon dark and eldritch beings.
    ct-cup4.jpg

spiritbass, JRA, champbassist and 6 others like this.
  11. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    My advice: lower your standards. You'll have more options.

12. Mmmm... coffee.

I like whatever's on sale. Hot and bitter like my ex-girlfriend.

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I have some suggestions to start.
    First, only buy whole bean fresh roasted coffee. By fresh, I mean roasted in the last 1-2 weeks. You can accomplish this by finding yourself a small roaster in your town and getting to know him or her. If you need help finding someone around you, let me know. I know roasters all over.
    Second, get yourself a good quality burr grinder made for coffee. You can spend upwards of $400 for a grinder, and they are worth what they cost. You don't need to spend that much, but that one for $15 with the blades is just going to tear the beans up inconsistently.
    Third, only grind the beans moments before you're ready to make and drink the coffee. Oxygen and light are enemies of good coffee. As soon as you grind a coffee bean the quality begins to deteriorate.

When you get yourself situated with a grinder and brew method, or maybe methods, let me know. I'll send you some fresh roasted coffee. That's a little side business/hobby/passion of mine.
    Y'all play bass, I roast and drink coffee.

-Mike

14. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    "So let me ask you this: is it impossible to get a cup of coffee-flavored coffee anymore in this country? Huh? What happened to coffee? Did I miss a ******** meeting with the coffee? Huh? You can get every other flavor except coffee-flavored coffee. They got mochaccino, they got chocaccino, frapaccino, capuccino, rapaccino, al paccino."

–Dennis Leary

Alik, Chad Michael, ahc and 2 others like this.
  15. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Ha, reminds me of the Jim Gaffigan bit on milk.
    Here we have this new milk that comes from cows.

-Mike

48thStreetCustom likes this.
  16. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Dennis Leary has a long bit on coffee-flavored coffee but I can't post it here because of all the f-bombs.

Oddly and MJ5150 like this.
  17. themarshall

themarshall

Jun 26, 2008
    cochrane wi
    I like a nice whole bean, fresh ground, good water and pour over or drip. It seems obvious, but if you start with meh water, your brew will suffer.

18. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Coffee is 98% water, so you make a great point.

-Mike

19. I bought into this until I actually tried a 200gm preground pack and didn't miss a thing. The first coffee out of a new bag is a little zinger than the last out of the old one but not by enough to make me miss grinding.

I keep the bag sinched up at the top and it doesn't get over 25deg too often.

Bialetti 'machine' took some getting right. The right level of water is critical and once you find it you will know. When my coffee liquor comes out only just hot it is coming out the tasiest and faster than with a little too much water. I add a little water that goes on cold on the stove at the same time as the machine. Boom

The right amount of stuffing the cup is also critical. I make a volcano and rapping the side until it collapses in leaves it set to I can level it off with back of a knife and no excess no further tamping down.

I think @Oddly would approve of my brew. Even MJ5150 might not spit it out.

How do I know I have it down? I have had a few enthusiastic espresso buyers spontaneoslly give the thumbs up. Plus I only recall one long black I bought since I got it all down that I would hang up my gear for if it was 50c and on the way to work.

Mine is near dammit as good as that crazy good one if I get it perfect but it's still slighltly variable. I think it's the amount of coffee that makes it into the machine. I might have to start weighing it.

MattZilla likes this.
  20. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021