Listening back to old recordings

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by -Asdfgh-, May 10, 2019.

1. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    I am doing some archiving of old things on four track, except that some things are just quick ideas and just solo bass. I was struck by the amount of chording and relatively clean playing. But more than that I was doing things in one take 20+ years ago I'd have to double-track now!

2. I came across a bunch of stuff from around 20 years ago i had on cassette a while back. When I was a guitar player. When we played, we had a cassette player for break music, but I would put a blank in for the set and record the show. I thought we (ok, I) was the shiznizzlebambizzle, but wow...what a bit of perspective time gives you.

BnB

MonetBass likes this.
  3. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    All guitar players think that.

bound'n'blocked likes this.
  4. Yeah. Then when I took up the bass and listen back to my guitar stuff, I realize I wasn't all that and a balogna sammich. Now that I'm a bass player, however, I know I'm the shiz...:bassist:

BnB

deernaes and bolophonic like this.
  5. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Yes, I've heard live recordings of me from back then and it wasn't always as good as it felt like on the night!

garp likes this.
  6. And I

And I

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    I saw a video of a group I did a show with during my senior year of high school. I was a guitarist at the time. I remember us playing some pretty "high-minded" avante-garde stuff that seemed fairly complex / intelligent / ahead of our years... but... yeah it was kinda just bad. we weren't very tight. the songs (original compositions in the jazz/rock/fusion sorta vein) weren't as high-minded as I remember them being. We jammed on a 2 chord minor blues thing for like 20 minutes and i solo'd way too much for how good i was at the time. Not to mention, 1980s Crate half stack amp... tone sounded awful.

getbent likes this.
  7. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    How true. On the other hand, occasionally, there's a diamond in the coal pile. I just watched an old video of myself from a forgettable bar-band gig. Most of it was absolutely pathetic, but on one particular tune, I played an interesting 2-meaure fill that had me wondering: "Wow...who is this kid?" ;)

bound'n'blocked likes this.
  8. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

i have a band recording from 1964.

9. Listing back to some old recordings of my old band, I thought: "that bass sounds so good". Only to realise that I played my entry-level cheap PJ copy on those recordings, not the expensive custom basses that I have now.:bored::rollno:

-Asdfgh-, JRA and bound'n'blocked like this.
  10. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    This thread reminds me:
    - After I'd been playing bass for 20 years, when I would listen to 10-year-old recordings of me I'd think "Gosh, I sucked! I could play that so much better nowadays!"
    - But then after I'd been playing bass for 40 years, when I would listen to 20-year-old recordings of me I'd think "Gosh, I was pretty darn good! I wish I could still play that nowadays!"

-Asdfgh- and bound'n'blocked like this.
  11. deernaes

deernaes Guest

Feb 1, 2012
    I realize how much my ear has developed in the 35 years that I've been playing.
    Back when I started, I had a tendency to just double the guitars.
    Probably 5 years in I discovered that there were actually distinct bass parts that I should be playing.
    Now I can pretty much tell where a song is going just by listening, even if I've never heard it before....