1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for specific type of 5-string bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Whitenoise17, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Whitenoise17

Whitenoise17

Aug 6, 2016
    East Side
    I’m looking for a 5 string bass with 2 dual coil pickups that has coil tap switching and maybe a 3 band EQ.
    I’m looking at things like the Schecter CV-5, the
    MM Stingray5 HH, and the
    G&L L-2500.
    I just want to learn how many options there are out there so I don’t miss out on anything really good.

Bassist Jay likes this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Sire M7 should be on your list to consider. I love mine. Still want to try an L-2500 though. drool

Timmy-Watts likes this.
  3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
  4. Whitenoise17

Whitenoise17

Aug 6, 2016
    East Side
  5. Ampslut

Ampslut Supporting Member

May 15, 2017
  6. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    There are a lot of options on the market. What price range are you trying to stay within?

wes stephenson and Leo Smith like this.
  7. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Stingray 5HH sure fits that bill.

Watch the classifieds here on TB and you can find a great deal on one.

8. Whitenoise17

Whitenoise17

Aug 6, 2016
    East Side
    I don’t want to go too far above $2000. Anything below is fair game.

Bassist Jay likes this.
  9. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Again, watch the TB classifieds and you can at times only be half of your budget for either a used SR5HH and easily especially an L2500.

10. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    Casting my vote for the L2500. Had an L2000 years ago that was great. Sorry I ever let it go...

audreycashin likes this.
  11. Systolic

Systolic Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    You could make a Spector that easily enough with TW emg pickups.

dpaul and asands like this.
  12. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    After having owned a G&L L-1505 and trying numerous 2500s (all thoroughly A/Bed with my Stingray 5ers) I'd stay away. Uncomfortable to play, noisy preamp with a ridiculous layout (calling these active electronics is a hell of an overstatement), etc. Now, I've also thoroughly tested HH Stingrays and Sterlings and I'd get an HS model over an HH. In fact I've owned a Sterling5 HS. The problem with HH Musicmen that work with a switch is that they can only produce 1 of the "traditional" Musicman tones (parallel in the Stingray, Series in the Sterling) while an HS will produce 2 (parallel and single coil for the Stingray, series and single coil for the Sterling). Apart from that I've NEVER seen the need for a full coil humbucker in the neck position (with a single coil Musicman pickup there you have more than enough P-ism available). HS Musicmen basically give you 1 P tone, 2 Jazz flavors and 2 Musicman tones. The history of my Sterling5 HS was not that happy indeed, as it sounded thin at the strictly Musicman game (compared to other 2 Stingray5s I own -old single 3 coil ceramic humbucker-), don't know what's up with post-2008 Stingrays and Sterlings but all I've tried sound naturally thinner to me (can be EQed to thicken up, of course). My most likely guess is the redesigned preamps are the culprit. Anyway, I ended up selling that Sterling5 HS and getting both an indo Yamaha BB-615 (P+J) and a MIK Ibby ATK-405 (J+MM) for "non Musicman" sounding 5ers that play and feel similar to my Ray 5ers. Together they costed about half the money I got for the Sterling5 HS. Somebody already suggested 2 pickup ATKs and I can see why, there's LOTS of versatility in them. You have to be selective as some of their necks can be on the chunky side. Still any ATK I've played plays better than any L line G&L. BTW, my problem with G&L is only about the L line. I could use a Kiloton5 or JB5 which come with a good (THIN!) neck profile (in line with what you get in Stingray 5ers) and no nonsense electronics.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    LightGroove and AlexanderB like this.
  13. DavetheDude

DavetheDude

Nov 28, 2014
    Germany
    Maruszczyk basses. Lots of Custom options, well in your price range! Excellent basses. drool

gln1955 and andruca like this.
  14. Warwick Corvette $$ has all that and a bit more, but it's 2-band. Still, hell of a bass. I miss the one I sold sometimes.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  15. image. I've been looking at this one. MTD Super 5, around $1100. 2 MMs, check, 3 band pre, check, Assymetrical neck, bonus! I believe it has the switching you want. I've never owned a MM type bass but this one is calling me lately.

16. Apolicious

Apolicious

Jan 16, 2014

Attached Files:

17. jaysbass2002

jaysbass2002 Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Northern New York
    I had the L2500 tribute. Sound was amazing, the neck was not to my liking. It was too thick D shape. Now my Ibanez SRFF805 with custom MAMA pickups is amazing!!. I could mod it for coil tapping also if I wanted.

18. jaysbass2002

jaysbass2002 Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Northern New York
    I second that. Uncomfortable to play is correct.

19. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    A couple of points about the G&Ls mentioned. The L-2500 comes standard with series/parallel switching for the pickups, but can be ordered with a single coil setting called "K-wiring" or "K-switching." It does not have three-band active EQ. The M-2500 DOES have a traditional three-band active system, but the pickups are always wired in series, which produces a balanced tone because they're not as hot as the L-series pickups.

I suspect the comments about uncomfortable necks are about G&L fivers from before about 2011. At some point around then, G&L slimmed down the rear profile, and newer the necks are more comfortable IMO.

I learned this when I was shopping for a G&L five in early 2014. A local shop had two USA L-2500s, one brand new and a NOS example from a few years before. The neck profiles were different, with the older one having the fatter rear profile like G&L fives I'd tried previously. I preferred the newer one, but it had expensive options I didn't want. So I bought a new M-2500 on line, and got the same comfy neck. I'm not sure about the necks on the Tribute line.

Edit: Forgot to add that I completely agree with andruca about HS MusicMan basses. That neck single coil sounds surprisingly close to a P-bass, and would be very useful IMO. I'm generally not crazy about MusicMan basses, but love the HS Sterling.

FantasticFour, joebar and asands like this.
  20. Whitenoise17

Whitenoise17

Aug 6, 2016
    East Side
    Huh. I didn’t think they made HS Stingrays. I’ve always been a fan of Stingrays. They sound and play GREAT, and they’re built like absolute tanks. I’ll have to check out that HS