1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking to buy a shortscale

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ron Welby, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Ron Welby

Ron Welby

Mar 27, 2019
    Newport, RI
    I'm looking to buy a short scale bass probably a Fender but also considering other brands. I originally had a vintage hofner and kinda liked the sound with nylon strings. Any input, suggestions and reasons you would recommend a particular guitar would be appreciated. Will be playing it through a '66 ampeg B15N. Thanks in advance for your help.

nateh415 likes this.
  2. walking Bass

walking Bass Supporting Member

May 24, 2005
    Northern California
    Fender American Performer Mustang with TI flats, Lakland HB 30, Reverend Dub King, Gibson SG... I own the Mustang and the SG, played and liked the Lakland and heard the Reverend recently and it sounded excellent.

A lot of others around now too. Ibanez has a number of bargains people seem to like. I tried Epi's and cheaper Fenders and didn't like them.

nateh415, jd56hawk and Ron Welby like this.
  3. Ron Welby

Ron Welby

Mar 27, 2019
    Newport, RI
    Lots to think about and I appreciate the input!

4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    A good one or a great one?
    [​IMG]
    Gotta love this one, too.
    Single, double or triple pickup models available...not to mention the piezo option.

jeff7bass, ErikP.Bass and Tommy V like this.
  5. What's your budget? I like Hofners, Club and violin with flats. Ignition series is great for the $.

Bill Kron likes this.
  6. ItsmeSantiago

ItsmeSantiago Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2015
    If you're looking for a great budget short scale, the Ibanez TMB30 is solid. I actually prefer the two I've played in stores over the $1000 JMJ that I owned.

macmanlou likes this.
  7. Duster

Duster

Jun 4, 2017
    Illinois
    I was going to mention the Squier VM SS Jaguar Bass that was on sale at MF earlier today. BUT, the site appears down and is not allowing me to put one in my cart. :(

8. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Guild "Newark Street" Starfire I & Guild "Newark Street" Starfire II (both MIK)

[​IMG]
    Fender Mustang re-issue (MIJ) & Reverend Dub King

9. ErikP.Bass

ErikP.Bass Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Great suggestions so far! I really dig my JMJ RW Mustang.

mbell75 likes this.
  10. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

Might want to look around in here... The Official Short Scale Bass Club -- Part 4

11. B-Mac

With the exception of my Gibson SG Standard my SS's are hollow or semi-hollow or chambered except for my Stagg ABG and my Ibanez Mikro. Quite a few here at TB like the Gretsch Junior Jet which is solid body passive available with one or two pups.
    IMG_5542. j2qrufqi3nllabtrbuql_wdp. IMG_5211.JPG lvugyl7urk5uzgk9bwdg_wdp. IMG_7302. l4xbdgol6vmj7nsvzwtr_wdp. s-l1600. IMG_2435.JPG s-l1600 2. a7od58clztzspyp79ibq.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  12. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    My favourite shortscale is a Dano Longhorn . Hollowbody , weighs next to nothing , really fun to play and sounds great . Next would be an Epi Flying V . Then an Epi Allen Woody followed by an old vintage Hofner . I used to have a Rivoli too , but sold that one .

13. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2008
    NY
  14. Just saw a friend of mine is selling this.
    57012536_10217568658223829_2269864665175556096_n.
    No idea what it is, he has it tuned ADGC.

dmt likes this.
  15. Skillet

Skillet Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Louisiana
    I love the old school but with a bite tone out of my Supro Huntington. Supro.

ErikP.Bass likes this.
  16. B-Mac

That looks like a micro type (sub 30" scale)?

17. My main player is an Epiphone Allen Woody with flats. Quality thump for sub-$500. (FWIW I run it through a GK MB200 + Ampeg 210AV and get a lotta love)

But Dub King, I want you....

jeff7bass, GlenParks and Oddly like this.
  18. B-Mac

The Ibanez ASB180 is SS. Only available used now, but they are pretty sweet looking.
    [​IMG]
    Definitely has a Gibson ES-335 vibe going on.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    DaveAceofBass likes this.
  19. The JMJ Mustang is nice but pricey. Jag VM ss, Ibanez tmb30, and Epi EB-0 are all under $200.

Ron Welby likes this.
  20. jpmcbride

jpmcbride

Aug 31, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    You can't go wrong with a Fender Mustang PJ with flats. Mine has a perfectly flat neck, easily adjust able for super low action (if that's what you like). The fit and finish are good, and the sound is excellent. It has that super deep short-scale sound, but with the PJ config and tone control it can actually produce a wide variety of tones. Don't get scared off by people claiming the pickup selector switch is a problem. Just spray it with some contact cleaner and any noise or static will go away. Overall a great bass for the money, about $575.

Ron Welby likes this.