Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Maceo's Jerome Preston

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jerry, Nov 12, 2005.

1. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Anybody out there hip to Jerome Preston from Maceo Parker's band? Man!...he has the grease!! If you want to funk, check out the 'My First Name Is Maceo' DVD :bassist: It's worth price of admission for Bruno Speight's funky guitar work.

2. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

Aug 17, 2005
    Maceo's other bass player that he uses is also great, names Rodney "Skeet" Curtis. He was a member of P-funk during their hay day.

3. yourmatze

yourmatze

Jan 4, 2009
    Jerry really is the groovemaster himself. But does anybody know what kind of bass (brand) he plays? I like the sound of it.

4. funk_in4

funk_in4 Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario strings
    hey- I was just checking out the marvelous "Shake Everything You Got" Maceo clip, and Mr. Preston is playing a B.C. Rich bass. Another groovy player that favours those traditionally rock instruments is the amazing Prakash John.
    I realize that this thread started 4 years ago, but to anyone who reads it and hasn't checked out these great grooving monsters, do yourself a favour and get to it!
    :bassist::bassist::bassist::bassist:

5. Stifflip

Stifflip

Jan 20, 2006
    I'm bumping an ancient thread for great justice (and to post this nice video of Preston with Maceo Parker)!

6. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    Oh man that is funkier than a funky thing with its funk boots on, thanks for posting.:bassist:

7. Bochafish

Bochafish

Jul 26, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Anyone know what kind of BC Rich bass this is? I like the two split p pickups, sounds great.

8. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Have mercy!

9. Stifflip

Stifflip

Jan 20, 2006
    It's a TJ Mockingbird. (I stole the picture from this thread)

[​IMG]

10. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen

Sep 29, 2008
    Rhode Island
    That's exactly what I was thinking, word for word. ;)

He has such good tone.

11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I enjoy seeing someone sound so good on a uncommon bass because it is a great reminder that we all need to just play, and not worry so much about the gear.:bassist:

12. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    Didn't Bernard Edwards also use one of these, or was that an eagle? It was a BC Rich double P of some description.

13. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I saw Bernard Edwards live and I think he had the one with double P-pups. I know he also used one with single P-pups too.:)

14. Stifflip

Stifflip

Jan 20, 2006
    Yeah, he did. Marcus Miller was such a big fan of Edwards that he bought a B. C. Rich only to find out that Edwards did all his recordings with his Fender Precision (or so the legend goes).

15. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    I thought Edwards recorded primarily with a Musicman Stingray with the original strings.

...:bag:

16. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    bass-wise - it's not a mockingbird. BC Rich Wave bass. The little cutaway by the bridge is the giveaway.
    And it don't matter a lick - he'd be fun-kay on the pointiest, metalliest bass or whatever the funk.
    But it is cool to see and hear him so funky on that "non-funk" bass.

I have listened to this so many times after opening this thread last night - just groovin' with this. It is a big fat funk lesson, y'all.

The "give the drummer some" in this is one of the coolest live arrangements EVER.

17. Stifflip

Stifflip

Jan 20, 2006
    I don't know which one he primarily used in the studio, but here's a quote from Marcus Miller's website:

18. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen

Sep 29, 2008
    Rhode Island
    Not to hijack, but I found this photo the other day...

Attached Files:

19. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I'm familiar with the Marcus quote, but if you listen to Bernard Edwards, he is using a Stingray.:)

20. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    There is a video of Chic playing Everybody Dance live with BE playing the double P BC Rich, just can't seem to find it though.