major rabbit problem

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slick519, Jul 12, 2004.

1. slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    I am in an unfortunate situation. I have a friend that released 6 rabbits into the wild surrounding her farm. BIG MISTAKE. There are now over a hundred of these little critters that live and dwell right near the house, and romp around with the rest of all the animals (goats, horses, sheep, poultry, etc.)

I have been contracted to eliminate these ferocious furry felons. I would use a gun (.22 or shotgun) but it is too close to house and animals. It seems like poison is out of the question, as well.

how am i going to do this?

::edit:: these rabbits are more than annoying, they are a health hazard. Thus far, they are little disease bags who dying and could possibly infect the local wildlife and other livestock. at this point, the MOST humane thing to do is to kill the little animals, for the sake of the other animals.
  2. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Any Coyotes around? They do a good job of moving the course of nature along with rabbits where I am.
  3. Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Dauchens! ( sp? ) AKA Weiner dogs! They were/are breeded to kill badgers I think. And I got one, and whenever he see's a rabbit he attacks it, door in his way or not.. :D Fiesty little creatures.. lol
  4. slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    There ARE coyotes around. But, the little buggers wont come near the house. Cats were employed by my friend, but these get eaten by the coyotes. i guess the cats stray further from the house than the little bunnies. stupid catch 22 :mad:

5. Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Mind you weiner dogs WILL take on coyotes.. Mine did once damn thing nearly got eaten, good thing we had a german sheppard, and another big dog. So just get em in numbers.. :smug:
  6. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    Have you tried using any sort of traps? Maybe get one of those trap-cages where you place the bait in it, and once the rabbit gets in there it is locked inside.

Or, instead of using a real firearm since its so close to the house, how about a pellet gun?
  7. Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Automatic airsoft gun for teh win. :ninja:
  8. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Traps sound like they're gonna be your best, cleanest bet.
  9. slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    haha, i gots me a nice little mp5 AEG. The 6mm pellets just arent heavy enough.

I have been thinking about the pellet gun idea, but i would have to lay down some serious cash to get a high velocity .22 pellet gun. Dont think that the normal .177 would be enough for this mission. What i want to do is go out there with my .22 handgun (ruger mk. I) loaded up with shot shells. The shot would have no chance against going through a wall, so i could shoot it at close range if i wanted too. the no. 16 shot is nice and small (i think it is either no.16 or no. 18) hell, i wouldnt be afraid to be shot at if the person was about 50 yards away with those shot shells.

10. slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    hmmm..... i may be onto something.

You know those little darts that you can put in your pellet gun? i wonder if i could somehow put poison on the darts.....

Any ideas on what kind of poison to use?

11. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    I don't understand why using a gun is out of the question?? If you're responsible and safe with it, there's nothing that could go wrong. Other animals in the house or chained away from the area where you'll be shooting, and make sure everyone knows what you'll be up to.

I also have a hard time believing that you're going to get close enough to a rabbit to use the shot-shells in that .22.
  12. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    get you guitar player to bring his amp and turn it up as loud as he would at gigs and practices if you didnt protest - problem solved - the rabbits should all die
  13. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun

Are bunnies also nocturnal? If so, rent some night vision goggles and clean house.
  14. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    +1 on both - Ty nailed it.
  15. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada

Use dogs, good dogs (not like mine) hunting dogs.
  16. Find someone who has an AK, get some night vision goggles....and....TARGET PRACTICE!
  17. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Have you considered hiring a pwofessiono? Somebody who is quawified to take on dem waskiwy wabbits?

18. use carrots to attract them, then use your bunny-b-gone spray/flame thrower
    And FEAST :D
  19. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Release Miximatosis, nothing can go wrong with that... hey aussies?