1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Markbass combos - What's your favorite?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pedulla-Player, Jul 9, 2018.

1. CMD 151P Jeff Berlin

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  2. Mini CMD 151P

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. CMD 102P

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. CMD 121H

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  5. Mini CMD 121P

8 vote(s)
    32.0%
  6. 121 Lite Alion Caron

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  7. CMD Super Combo K1 Alian Caron

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  1. Pedulla-Player

Pedulla-Player Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Northern Wisconsin
    I'm just curious what people's favorite Markbass combos are? I saw a band at an outdoor festival (in a pavilion) this past weekend and the bassist was using a Markbass CMD 102P vertically stacked on another MB 210 cab. I thought his bass had nice warm tone and it fulled the area very nicely. I recently got a TC Electronic BG250-210 combo and I like it, but I don't like the fact that I can't add an extension cab. I am still in the widow for being able to return it for about 2 weeks yet. I'm currently not in a band, but am looking to getting back into gigging if the right situation would present itself. Due to previous back and hernia surgeries from hefting large heavyweight bass rigs in my younger days I would like to stick with lightweight combos that still pack a punch. Thanks

2. I bought a CMD151P combo (1X15) about 10 years ago, and it's still going strong. Love the tone. Added the matching 15 cab. I'm set for everything from quiet coffee shop to small theaters and outdoor stages. Pretty transparent, so if you like the tone of your bass, you may like what the MB does. Plenty of headroom and I can pin the ears back on the loudest drummers I've worked with. I'm 60 years old and can still one-hand the CMD151P into the venue.

I sub a lot on guitar and a couple of the bass players I work with have gone with the MB 1X12 combo with a matching 1X12 extension cab, or the Ninja 2X12 cab with matching Ninja head. They are moving some air and sound great too.

I think you owe it to yourself to audition some MB gear while you have the return window of opportunity. You may prefer what you have right now, but if a more modular flexible rig is a goal it sounds like you're stuck with your current combo.

Good luck.

Element Zero and Pedulla-Player like this.
  3. mojomike001

mojomike001 Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    After having heard and played through a CMD 121p, I was was so impressed by what it could do for it's size and weight, that I wound up buying a couple of NY 121p cabs since I already had a few decent heads around.

Xibolba, jcerio and Pedulla-Player like this.
  4. Pedulla-Player

Mar 5, 2009
    Northern Wisconsin
    Thanks for your input! Did you get the Jeff Berlin Signature 151P with the amp in front or the Mini 151P with the amp on top? I was looking at them on GC's website and saw that they had two different 115 models in the 300/500 watt range.

5. Pedulla-Player

Mar 5, 2009
    Northern Wisconsin
    I guess that I should add that 'if' I take the TC Electronic back I would be buying a used Markbass combo (Can't afford a new one!!).

I was reading the MF reviews on the CMD 102P and one of the few negative reviews said that they switched the speakers that they use in the amp from B&C to Yellow Line speakers and that the Yellow Line speakers tend to 'fart out'. Never really heard of either speakers, so I don't know if the guy knew what he was talking about or not.

I noticed when I was looking at used CMD 102P and the CMD 151P Jeff Berlin combos that the head looks different in the older models than the newer ones. Is there any difference in them that would make one better than the other? Thanks...

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  6. Jeff Berlin model. I bought mine gently used and saved some coin.

I auditioned a 102P with one of my loud-azz drummers. It couldn't keep up and started farting out when pushed. Unless you are playing with volume-controlled drummers and no chance they turn up the heat, I would advise against using the 102P by itself, especially if you don't have good P.A. support. I know some players who elevate their 102P's to ear level and can monitor it on stage, but I like to feel a little more than that on stage. Of course, 102P plus 2X10 extension gets you where you want to be easily. With the 12" and 15" combos, you have a better chance of keeping up without using the extension cab on small to medium indoor stages.

EDIT: I'm not sure about the differences in the heads you are seeing. Maybe some early models were the LMI head and then they upgraded their combos to the LMII head? The main difference between the two is the II has the dedicated DI output knob? (I think.)

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  7. Berlin with the NY151 extension cab. Easy to transport, 2 separate compact light weight pieces , sounds great (to me) with all my basses.

8. Pedulla-Player

Mar 5, 2009
    Northern Wisconsin
    Even though I have been playing bass a long time (33 years) and I'm no speaker expert by any means, but I am surprised that a 210 couldn't keep up with a 112 or 115.

9. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I dint own markbass combo, but I love the tone from CMD121, warmth and juicy as EBS classic session 120 combo. Hahaha....

Pedulla-Player likes this.
  10. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    A9D9E862-B7F7-4119-8069-0FC2C28DD2B0. Been loving my cmd121p combo paired with a Traveler 12 cab for years now.

TN WOODMAN, TrevorG, Xibolba and 2 others like this.
  11. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    CMD121P. Tiny but mighty!

12. So was I. The only way to know for sure is to give it a try. YMMV as they say. But the one I auditioned would not keep up with a loud drummer.

If there is any possibility of playing with a heavy hitter like I do sometimes, the best thing to do is pick one up at GC, take advantage of the return policy, and rehearse with your drummer, asking him to turn up the heat for you and see what happens. Better yet, full band with hard-hitting drummer.

There is something about those 112 and 115 combos that gives them a little more headroom and edge. I get away with the CMD151P all by itself in all club settings, only need the extension in large stages, theaters, and outdoors.

13. leonard

leonard

Jul 31, 2001
    Yurop
    I did hundreds of gigs with the 121p. Sometimes paired with the NY 12 inch. Very good and very loud. No problems never.

Now I play the 102p combo. It's a bit tighter and a little less boomy than the 121p. I always have it in the wedge position.

I never had any problems with either of them being loud enough. You might run out of headroom if you boost the bass frequencies or play crazy loud. If that's the problem you can get an extension cab. That way you get 500W instead of 300W and more speaker surface area.

TN WOODMAN and Pedulla-Player like this.
  14. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    112 combo with 112 extension.

I do gigs with that rig and EUB or BG.

One trip in ( hand truck required), one trip out.

TN WOODMAN and Pedulla-Player like this.
  15. ccfalkner

ccfalkner

Sep 19, 2016
    Dallas, TX
    I have told most of my MarkBass (MB) story in a few other forums, but this thread looks like the best place to do a full confession, plus I think it will contribute a lot to answering your question. First of all, I don't have the expertise of a lot of the people on this forum, but my starting point is a corporate professional with a decent budget to burn for a hobby. I also have a very good ear with relative pitch, so I am picky about my sounds.

I started my MB trip when I decided to get a bass about six years ago. I had a decent amount of money, so I bought a $750 used six string, and a new CMD 121H, at which time GC was touting as the best brand out there. Since joining TB, I now doubt that was the case, but I did drink the Kool aid, and I am still filling my glass cause it is at a quality level that I have not outgrown and realistically never will. To insert a bit of honesty, I like to give my son bass gifts for his birthday and set him up over the years with a Fender Rumble 100 and a BTB 505. I am many times jealous of the sounds he gets out of his rig. (No, I don't need to adopt any of you out there. I have limits to my funds.)

When taking it to gigs, I found myself getting lost in the mix, but not being able to turn it up too much before it would distort. I found myself at near-full volume on my guitar, with pre-amp at a third, and my volume 3/4s, but still being lost. My B string never felt rich enough either. (I would say anemic.) I decided to extend it with a used NY 151 due to the lesser weight, but still high quality. (1 wish they still made the 151 front port cab, but who knows why they discontinued it. I would have then had a frequency response of around 33Hz. I think the NY 151 is around 36+hz. (I am being lazy on the facts.))

So now I have a 15, 12 and horn. I now have the watts and frequency range to reproduce all my strings at every fret, but I was also bored with sounds I was getting, plus I wasn't getting that initial hard thump/attack in the chest I wanted for just about every note, even at lower volumes. I happened to have a generic "Art" $50ish tube pre-amp from (GC seems to be a common thread here), so I put that inline. That gave me that warm punch I was looking for. The last two items I purchased was a Boss ME-50B which gives me the effects to switch up with, plus some more pre-amp. One last note: I noticed that once I adjusted my chain of effects and pre-amps to not clip, then no matter what master volume, even up to 100%, the speakers could handle it very cleanly. That is because each speaker set is rated at 400 watts. With 500 watts being split, they never get more than 250 each. I was very impressed with this setup.

I also realized I was playing in old warehouses, and other buildings with questionable power, and after investing at least $2.7k, I wanted to protect my investment plus filter out any hum/noise that could be out there, so I purchased a Furman power strip. I believe it may have true sine wave, or some equivalent technology, plus it has surge cut off, which means, if it can't handle the spike, or any power event, it just cuts it'self, and all the equipment behind it, off to not be affected by the event. Very nice technology. If that sounds like a good idea, I think mine was the power strip just before the rack model. The lower models have diminishing features.

Wrap Up:
    I have a post-surgery back, so weight is important. With both cabs coming in at roughly 45 lbs, I keep a fold-able hand cart with me (the $20ish kind) and put a small nylon strap on it to keep the cabs from taking a dive during transport. I have way more power/volume than I need before the venue is big enough to plug into. I can get feedback at every note, so I can play around like a guitar. If you look at my picture, I have my amp set at 1/4ish pre-amp, 40ish% at master volume. At this setting, I can barely turn on the bass volume before things start falling off the walls in the house and the cat starts freaking out because she thinks there are critters everywhere in the walls. (I like to crank it when others are not around and use a headset when they are.) Even when going to other locations to practice, I don't like bringing just the combo, because I miss the richness of the MB cabs and effects together. I do turn down the master though. I am at a very happy place in regards to my rig.

IMG_20180710_045228067. IMG_20180710_045207306.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    Pedulla-Player and TrevorG like this.
  16. BassGH

BassGH

Sep 13, 2015
    Seattle
    I'm a big fan of the 121p. I also bring a 1x12 extension cab to gigs, if for nothing else to get a speaker closer to my ear for monitoring purposes.

17. Medicine Man

Medicine Man

Apr 10, 2015
    none
    I use a 102 for a ton of bar gigs, and it's good for keeping up with my hamfist drummer, but not with much headroom to spare. Easy, loud and portable with pretty decent sound quality, I've gotten my money's worth out of it, for sure.

Pedulla-Player and TrevorG like this.
  18. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    The 121H.

Russell L and Pedulla-Player like this.
  19. TrevorG

TrevorG

Nov 30, 2012
    U.K.
    I always chime in on these threads because I'm a real fan. Tried the 102p combo. Thought it was amazing. The tilt back this a great idea. I have a CMD K1 Supercombo. 1000watts with the 102pcab I bought recently. It has a 12" and a 5" along side a tweeter. Nice combination. Heavier than the other combos but much louder.
    Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 18.42.47.

20. T-boneParish

T-boneParish Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Austin, TX
    +1, same here.