Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Martial Arts

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by God_of_bass, Mar 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Recently I have noticed that I've been spending more time in the Dojo, than in the woodshed. I was just curious to know if any other fellow talkbassers are martial artists?

Personally I study traditional Jiu Jitsu (WJJF), Judo and a small amount of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, what about you guys? Are you spending more time training than playing?

2. I'm 17 and have been interested in martial arts for years but I'm unsure what I want to take, and I may feel weird taking it considering most people will be older and younger then I am. I was thinking of the form where you use your opponents moves against them and a few others. I'm not quite sure but I think that is Jiu Jitsu isn't it ? It would help me get out more and be good exercise, not to mention great help if I ever got attacked.

3. jivetkr

jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    NJ
    I used to study Jiu Jitsu & its a very effective system. Its also a killer workout. So is Judo...But FWIW, i thought judo was more fun to study.

This is all very subjective though....You really need to try out a few classes & see whats a better fit for you.

4. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    I have studied Tae Kwon Do but am looking for something new. I did well with this due to long legs. Tae Kwon Do keeps the opponent away instead of up close grappling. I've been investigating Kenpo and Jiu Jitsu. My son is taking karate at the local YMCA, he has learned persistance along with many other things. The martial art chosen will include other things with the 'moves' so be sure it's where you want to go. We don't do Zen or spiritual guidance or stuff like that.

5. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    My screen name was not self-given :) . I've been studying Krav Maga for about three years (about 10 hours a week).

Anyone heard of it?

It's basically no rules, i want to destroy you street fighting. It was developed in the Israile army. It is hands down the most effective form of hand to hand combat you can take. It basically takes all the simple effective stuff from every fighting style and combines it. The thing about Krav is it's REAL...if it doesn't work they don't teach it. It's also different because where martial arts has been the same for years....krav is always changing depending on what's happening in real fights and real attacks. Let's put it this way: a first level krav student would destroy a black belt karate student.

The classes are really fun too, and it's the best work out around.

check it out

www.kravmaga.com

6. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    I've heard of Krav Maga. My instructor was starting in it when I left Tae Kwon Do. Too violent for me. I guess I'm looking for structured forms though this style would deffinitely be good self defense.

Bayou, do you study in Detroit?

7. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI

exactly.......if you want to learn an art form take a martial art....if you want to learn to fight and defend yourself take krav.

krav is structured and full of technique though.....

i really like it because it's an insane workout and a lot of fun (i'm a pretty chilled out guy..not really into hurting people).

it is pretty violent....i can't imagine the damage that i could inflict on someone........but believe me the guy trying to hurt you is going to be just as violent

i take classes about 10 miles outside of detroit....i'm moving back to houston and plan on continuing there

8. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I used to be enrolled at a great kwoon where I took Yang style Tai Chi, Pekiti Tirsia Kali, and little bits of Wing Chun and Chin Na that were thrown in with my Tai Chi lessons. When I left because I couldn't afford to keep taking lessons, I was trying to decide if I wanted to drop my Kali class for the Pentjat Silat class.

I miss it, but I do keep practicing my Tai Chi forms every night.

9. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Krav's a strong art. If you like that and you like very to the point, violent, get the job done as brutally as you can and get out of there just as quickly kind of styles, look into Pekiti Tirsia Kali or Pentjak Silat.

Kali's mostly weapon styles, concentrating on knife fighting and with using sticks (since it doesn't make much sense to practice with a real sword). Extremely violent. You beat and stab your opponent into submission.

Silat's mostly hand to hand forms, but it does teach knife and sword work in the higher levels. It's concentration is on breaking your opponent badly enough that they're not able to get back up to fight more.

Tai Chi's actually a very good art, too; but it doesn't seem like it's what you're looking for. It takes a long time to get proficient enough to use confidently, if you're willing to put in the time and work it's very effective (especially as a defensive art. Tai Chi's stylistic hallmark is to start after your opponent, but to have your strikes hit him before his get to you). It's not just for old people, trust me. :)

I'd LOVE to take Ba Gua Zhang one day. Maybe I can start back with the arts once I'm out of school and actually have money and time to spend on it.

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

sounds *a lot* like traditional wing chun, where advocates also claim WC is "hands down the most effective" martial art ;)

personally, I've never formally studied any martial art, but I have had a couple classes with Capoiera and wing chun. And I have read much about Jeet Kun Do and Bruce Lee.

11. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I always thought Capoeira would be a really cool art to take, but I'm not sure how effective it is.

It's funny, but I've never met an artist that didn't say that whatever art he was taking was the best.

12. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI

WC.....i don't really know anything about it.......

the reason krav is the most effective is because it is the only form that is street proven and street tested (i can go into more detail later if you like)....minor adjustments are made on a regular basis depending on what is happening on the battle feild and on the street....this is very different than most art forms that haven't changed in thousands of years...

13. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    :) again this isn't an opinion..it's a fact

i'm not saying krav is the most fun, the best for you, or the best art form. i'm saying that krav is the most effective at winning and surviving a fight or attack.

14. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    It's not really about effectiveness these days. most Modern Capoeira is more about just having fun, than actually hurting someone.

15. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i don't even know if you can compare krav to a martial art....

i know nothing of traditional martial arts.

don't they teach respect and fair fighting in martial arts????

16. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    This is where WC relates to krav, Wing chun is all about efficiency, maximizing your potential and minimizing uselessness. It's also about "what works in the street/real world" I don't know if it compares to Krav in terms of keeping it real, but I do know that it is very iconoclastic compared to other martial arts, in that, it's not about belts, or competitions or self focussing, it's about whooping ass quickly and effectively.

For reference, Bruce Lee studied Wing chun for a long time, and when he developed his own style, he borrowed much from Wing Chun, his style, which is more of a lifestyle than a martial arts style, Jeet Kun Do, is all about adaptability and effectiveness. It is referred to as 'the style without style' or 'the form without form' way of fighting. Lee's famous analogy, and philosophy is "Water. When water is put in a cup it BECOMES the cup, when water is put in a bowl it BECOMES the bowl. Water can flow gently, and it can CRASH!....Be like water"

In his movie 'the game of death' he symbolically denounces all other martial arts as inferior to his. Each level of the pagoda that he fights in represents another style or school of combat. When he reaches the top, he fights his student(in real life) Kareem Abdul Jabar, This fighter fights like Lee doe, and it is only by taking advantage of his opponents weakness(light sensitive eyes) that lee manages to win.

17. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I took Tae Kwon Do for 7 years when I was younger, nearly made it to black belt.

Recently I just started studying Jeet Kune Do. I really like the approach - it explains the WHY of what you're doing, and not just the HOW.

That, and it advocates using just about any technique, if it works for you. Makes sense, seeing as how certain people are going to be good at certain things, and not others.

18. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah, I've been trying to find a good place to study JKD, but so many places are taught by hacks, leeching off bruce lee's fame :meh: But I guess that's the real beauty in the form, in that it differs person to person, and it's all about the WHY. But, I'm not looking for the WHY, I get that much(For the most part) I'm looking for the HOW :p

19. Bayou_Brawler

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    sounds a lot like krav

another thing they do that's pretty cool is stress managment....the instructors put you in very real situations and play their roles very very well....a little too well

krav also works at making you very aggresive whn you need to be

20. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Actually I'm studying it mostly on my own and through a friend who's had an instructor.

WR, you should pick up a copy of The Tao of Jeet Kune Do. That covers quite a few bases - then it's just a matter of getting up and doing the physical part of it... :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.