1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

McCartney Sabotaged Lennons Songs?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Hobbayne, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Hobbayne

Hobbayne

Aug 19, 2010
    London England
    in an interview with I think Rolling Stone magazine, Lennon was really nasty to Macca, accusing him of ruining his songs by recording them with a boring and unimaginative bass parts, while his songs were adorned with beautiful lines crafted for them.
    I for one cannot understand what he is talking about!
    Macca laid some lovely lines for Lennon including Mr Kite and most of the white album especailly the slow version of Revolution!
    Lennon played bass on Long & Winding Road and made a right hash of it! At least Macca never left any blemish on a released recording! :ninja:

2. when was the interview from? they had a bitter relationship for a long time after the breakup, sounds like he's just talking poopiee

3. TimmyBoomBoom

TimmyBoomBoom

Apr 10, 2007
    I seem to recall hearing a bootleg of the Beatles recording Paul's song Teddy Boy. You can hear John mocking Paul by doing a sing along at the end with some changed lyrics. At the end Paul says something like "I don't think this was given fair consideration...". Cuts both ways ya know

4. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    Paul didn't ruin anything.

5. For all the Imagine, Give Peace A Chance, St. John kind of way society and the media tends to remember John he was actually often a mean-spirited ****.

6. barebones

barebones Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I have a Beatles fanatic friend who claims that Paul's "busiest" bass lines were played over John's vocals, while more "laid back" lines were used when Paul sang. Maybe John thought the busier lines cluttered things up or something, I don't know. All I know is I get schooled every time I sit down to learn me some Paul lines!

7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    John did not like busy bass lines. When he hired Tony Levin to for some of his solo work John told him "I hear you're good but just don't play too many notes"

8. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    I believe there was an inherent jealousy and competitiveness between the two from which we all benefited. I recall a post-Beatle article in which Lennon complained that, knowing McCartney would come into recording sessions with a boatload of songs, Lennon felt pressured to bring in as many of his own as he could so that he wouldn't be underrepresented on the album.

Thankfully we had George Martin to help sort it all out :)

9. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    john lennon didn't really have the fake enthusiasm and no opinion thing down that dominates the entertainment industry today

10. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    +1000

Every time I sit down to learn Paul's bass lines note for note, I always end up looking at the CD player and saying "wow!"

11. The John Lennon I will forever like best is the self-deprecating John Lennon.

12. I'm no expert but you might think the bass lines would naturally be more involved if the bass player isn't concentrating on singing.

When he is singing, he may have played less simply becuse he was doing two things at once.

I don't think I would be too quick to call it delebrate.

-eSmith.

13. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Listen to a lot of the songs that Macca is signing and the bass lines are still crazy. I don't know how he does that...The guy is a freak.

14. travep

travep

Apr 16, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I am a huge Beatles fan. Not to start a flame war or anything but I have always been of the opinioin that Paul McCartney would have been a star without John Lennon but the converse would not have been true. Both were clearly better than the sum of their individual parts but I always found Lennon to be less talented than PM. That is not to say that Lennon was talentless but next to McCartney, few musicians look like stars. He's so well rounded...bass player, pop vocalist, songwriter, personality.

As for his personality (at least what has been on display), Lennon always seemed petty, childish and the kind of guy I probably wouldn't want to spend time with. So, I guess this comment doesn't surprise me.

I'm sorry to the JL fans out there...all opinion, of course...

15. Hobbayne

Hobbayne

Aug 19, 2010
    London England
    I Think it was late 1970 to Jann Wenner, but was also mentioned in the book Revoution In the Head by Ian McDonald :bassist:

16. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    Yeah, its the Rolling Stone interview. I have a bootleg of that tape--its pretty surreal.

17. The 1970 Wenner interview is full of things John would later regret saying.He and Paul lashed out at each other in interviews and songs for about 4 years after the Beatles broke up.

Here's another quote from Lennon that is probably closer to his true feelings on the subject: “Paul was one of the most innovative bass players ever. And half the stuff that is going on now is directly ripped off from his Beatles period.”

18. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    From what I gather, Lennon didn't really care for creative bass parts.

19. Paul gets mocked because often his lyrical matter is absurd or non-serious, while John was often trying to "say something" with his lyrics. But lyrics aside, Paul was definitely the most all-around musically talented Beatle. And I think all of the other Beatles would agree. Paul was just born with that certain natural magic. Which is not to say the others weren't talented. Paul was just the most musically gifted.

20. Couldn't have been all that long of a time. Relationships generally require two living participants.

I'd generally take Macca's side anyway, but whenever I hear that "wonderful christmas time" song I think some awful stuff. Regardless, there was obviously a number of musical disagreements between the two, and I think its safe to say they were the creative force in the band.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021