McCoy Tyner "Trident"

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by godoze, Feb 22, 2005.

1. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Anyone else enjoying this recording ? This is the first time i've ever heard the harpsichord in a Jazz recording. The Jobim also threw me after the opening hard pop number.

Carter's work is decent also.
  2. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Aw yeah! Even for Ron Carter it must have been a gas to be between Mac and Elvin in 1975. An essential Tyner piece, and a dead-last pick for blindfold tests. ("OK, let's see . . . Left Hand of God . . . hmm now, who could that be?")

Have you heard his newest, the Grammy-winning Illuminations? Fine, fine straight-ahead record with Mr. McBride filling the chair and contributing a lovely bowed composition as well.
  3. Tom Hutton

Tom Hutton

Nov 22, 2004
    One of my favourite McCoy Tyner albums - great versions of Impressions and Ruby, my dear.
    You're right, it is an unusual instrument - the only other stuff I can think of off the top of my head is some "stride harpsichord" by Meade Lux Lewis (Variations on a theme part 1: 19 ways of playing a chorus).

Edit: Just remembered another - John Lewis played harpsichord on about half of the tunes on Plastic Dreams by the MJQ

4. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Haven't heard the new one yet... I'll have to check it out.

Playing with Tyner and Jones....A dream come true !
  5. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I wonder if Red Garland was any inspiration to McCoy ? Red had that locked style and it seems to me that Tyner extrapolated it both harmonically and rhythmically.

Every time i hear those huge 9 and 11 chords coming on like a train i know it's gotta be Mac.