1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mesa Boogie Walkabout Mega-thread Part 10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chef, Nov 7, 2013.

1. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Please do! For me the NV610 is still the one constant in my rig (for nearly 15 years now). It is easier for me to move around than cabs I have to pick up, and always enough cab for anywhere.

rodl2005 likes this.
  2. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    ok, I got my NV610 unpacked today and put the WD800 on top for a run through.
    Keep in mind that I have been working closely with the WD for the past few weeks, trying to make it sound as much like my WA as possible and I am very satisfied with that effort. WD does NOT sound entirely like the WA, it definitely has its own voice, but still they are very close (IMO/ to my ears).

So ... I can say without hesitation that the WD800 sounds great with the NV610 (I guess, no big surprise). I feel like the WD actually sounds a bit better thru the NV610 than the Walkabout .. perhaps its just a bit better wattage match (NV610 is rated at 750w).

For reference, my set up is:
    Bass (Lull M4V or Roscoe Beck IV) => EBS Multicomp (Multi band mode, light compression, unity gain) => VT Deluxe (clean B15 settings) => Amp/Cab.

Sound is huge (to be expected) and tight. The NV610 seems to show the effect of the WD's Damping control a bit more than my CN (ported) cabs do. The WD stayed clearer, cleaner than the WA (of course, with more clean power on tap) and so the cab sounded better to my ears. The WA drives the NV610 just fine, but in louder situations (where the that much cab is used more often) it would also get woolier than the WD (again .. all that additional clean headroom/power coming into play).

I liked the sound of the WD+NV610 so much, that I believe I will take my NV610 off the TB classifieds. I was thinking about going with an NV212 for a smaller footprint, but now ... not so much :laugh:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  3. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks for the review! Color me tempted for sure. Granted I feel like for my tastes the NV610 molds most amps more towards what I want to hear (tighter down low and without any harshness up top, loads of midrange articulation and character). The Walkabout through the NV610 always sounds great to me, just tends towards too much uncontrollable compression at rocking volumes for me (not unlike a low-wattage tube head). I am a bit worried though because the tone of the Walkabout at that point was the best for me, and I am guessing the WD-800 will have alot less inherent harmonic distortion going on at similar volumes. I do have pedals that will probably make up the difference well enough though. I will need to audition one!

4. Hey buddies! It is always interesting, when you talk about setting, sound ect, to mention a little about your playing style or give knowed bass player name as a reference for best describe your sound. It give us a better idea of what you are talking about.

Happy playing.:bassist:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
    Phyzzbin, GregC and Al Kraft like this.
  5. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    For some reason I find the damping control to have a more obvious effect with a sealed cab than a ported one (my AK cab sealed or open is clearly different). I'm sure there is a speaker designer rocket science kind of reason for that, but I've found the same thing.

OBTW, that NV610 is a sweet cab when you have a head with some power to bring it to life. I've been tempted on several occasions to buy one and I'm not even a sealed cab guy. :)

6. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    The NV610 works great with literally every head I've owned- from a vintage 50 watt Bassman to an Aguilar DB750 (I think the most pounding head I ever ran through it)! My main head right now is a Mesa Prodigy generally run at half power (125 watts) and those two complement each-other perfectly. The tighter voicing of the Prodigy gives the impression of more headroom than the Walkabout too when at full power, while at half power the useable volume feels about the same with the Prodigy feeling more controllable to me (it feels tighter down low when pushed, where the Walkabout starts to loosen up unless you hit it with a pretty strong high-pass before it).

GregC, Al Kraft and rodl2005 like this.
  7. Darbitrator

Darbitrator Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2018

8. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    So, will the knob feel of the WD elicit the same response as that of the WA? :laugh:

9. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Yes, the controls use the same bushing type as the WAs, tight and mildly damped. The knobs are of course different and are similar to the Carbines and some of the guitar amps.

tombowlus, Al Kraft and ahc like this.
  10. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    My post was meant as comic relief after a very long night. The "Knob Feel" guy on Youtube has some hilarious (and sometimes slightly creepy) responses as he, uhhh, fondles knobs on various amps. Mostly hi fi stuff.

sunbeast and agedhorse like this.
  11. I like that the knobs didn't change their setting by itself during moving so I put small O'rings behind the knobs to have friction and make it harder to turn.

12. 4stringmf

4stringmf

Mar 2, 2008
    San Francisco
    I finally found the "one" and pulled the trigger on Reverb today! Black face, in the headcase, made in 2016!:hyper:

bebi, KUETSUM, Livewire and 5 others like this.
  13. 4stringmf

4stringmf

Mar 2, 2008
    San Francisco
    @agedhorse or anyone else...... are their differences between the generations of WA's in regards to 6 vs 8 mosfets? Thanks!

14. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    agedhorse has said there were some "brightness" differences between the different versions of the WA.
    beyond that, I have not read much more about differences related to the mosfet count.

4stringmf likes this.
  15. Is $400 good price for one of these used?

16. sunbeast

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I would say so depending on age and condition. I haven’t checked the market for awhile, but remember silver-face ones usually selling for between $325-$450ish, generally on the cheaper side for the early red screenprinted ones without updated active/passive switch or FX-loop switch (the later silver ones had black screen printing). The newer all-black models probably still go for a bit more. Occasionally I would see 12” Scout combos for not much more than a head by itself.

17. This was silverface and had an active-passive switch. I think it's identical to this one, which is priced quite a bit higher.

Mesa Boogie Walkabout Compact Bass Head

18. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Not so much with the MOSFETs, the change in number was related to going from single due to double die parts.

19. 4stringmf

4stringmf

Mar 2, 2008
    San Francisco
    I would have to agree.... I just spent $750 for one made in 2016 with all the updates and with the mesa headcase. I was more inclined to pay extra because it still has 3 years left on the warranty.

sunbeast likes this.
  20. 4stringmf

4stringmf

Mar 2, 2008
    San Francisco
    If you agreed on $400, I would go for it. I was seriously think of offering that much before I pulled the trigger on the other one I just got. He has it in the classifieds here on TB as well.