Mesa Subway Bass DI-Preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bucephylus, Oct 14, 2016.

1. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Just saw this.

Mesa Boogie Subway Bass DI Preamp | MESA/Boogie®

Thanks to Andy &Co for bringing this somewhat niche product to us. YAY! I've been looking for something like this. The only thing I am not seeing is a mute/tuner out. Which means the player either needs to disconnect and then plug into a tuner separately, play through a tuner, or go to a clip on headstock tuner. Does not appear to be a pedal, and looks to be placed on top of the cab. So, signal chain through a tuner makes less sense.

Andy (@agedhorse), if you read this, could you please comment on this design element? Also, any idea when it might hit the street?

Otherwise, this unit is something I have been looking around for to pair with my Demeter Minnie 800D. VERY cool.

[edit: I see that perhaps they did intend this to go on a pedal board. Not being a pedal board kind of guy, that's not so interesting to me. But, I realize all the younger cats are heavy on the pedal boards, so...]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
    Jim Carr likes this.
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Yeah there's a few threads on it already, this is one awesome looking pedal and considering the $229 price everybody will probably buy one!

This is definitely a pedalboard friendly unit, and considering any pedal tuner is both a tuner and a mute switch, there's no real need for a tuner output or mute switch on this pedal. I see those things as extras that will drive up the cost and size of the pedal, and those who want those features will use their own anyway.

And as a side note, Andy stated that this pedal will drive GK's powered MB cabinets and I know there's a multi page thread full of players looking for a pedal to do that. Well it looks like it's here, but I cannot verify that it works. Just going by what Andy said :)

3. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    OK. I actually did search for all threads containing Mesa in the title; but, did not find any hits on this unit. Either the TB search function is not effective, or my search skills need improvement. I would have figured that search would have worked; but, I suppose it is possible I am stupid.
    [Edit: OK, I found the thread in the Effects Forum. Not where I would have expected to find a thread about a preamp; and, since I don't use pedal boards, I never look in that forum. Mea Culpa]

As to the pedal board, I understand they are currently popular. That doesn't mean that those of us who choose not to use them are lesser players or human beings. And, I doubt a mute/tuner out would make this an out-priced unit. I understand that feature may not be important to pedal board users. But, it also would not make it less useful to a pedal board user. Seems like a no-loser feature to me; but, maybe its just a chance for us to have argumentative posts.:blackeye:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  4. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    I will also add that separating the preamp and power amps into different boxes for the micros makes a certain amount of sense to me. The power amp modules are continuing to evolve, and this topology would enable players to mix and match pre's and power sections to taste without making the footprint or schlepp a whole lot larger.

lifer_, murphy and Brother Goose like this.
  5. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    Despite the lack of Mute/Tuner Out, I ordered one. Nevertheless, I would still look for that feature on future products and would flip this to purchase an improved product down the road.

6. bucephylus likes this.
  7. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    Thanks. I eventually searched Andy's posts and found that. Don't own a D800, so, wasn't tracking that thread.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  8. georgiagoodie

georgiagoodie The winged monkeys showed up

Jan 8, 2008
    HELL
    'Have mine on order form Sweetwater. They say shipping around the first of December. This should be a bass combo killer. 'Just plug into a powered PA cab (or 12) laying around and your good...

9. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

it’s good to see that our Andy is not letting the grass grow under his hooves! :D

Al Kraft and bucephylus like this.
  10. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    Well, heck.

I just got hipped to clip on tuners by the nice folks over on the DB side of things. I know, I'm a little slow. Anyhow, looks like the tuner is literally no big deal.

Can't wait for December.

The thing that would be cool is if the high end cab builders would start putting a mini rack space for the power amp module into the cabs, and we could get some standardization for the power module size. That way, we could upgrade the power module while keeping the cab. And as @georgiagoodie says, small format preamps like this one would be all you need. Pretty cool.

11. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Oh yeah? Hmmm standardized compact power modules. There's no market. Well, at least that's what some folks have heard for years trying to have them built........

End cynical rant. Back to programming. Rock on.

12. mikeGJ

mikeGJ Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Grand Junction, CO
    Link to the main thread for this: Mesa Subway Bass DI Preamp

Preamps don't drive speakers without an "amp" behind them, so often not discussed here, but over in the "effects" sub-forum.

Re: modular power:
    Due to volume, just about as cheap to build and sell a full amp with a pre built in as it would be to sell a naked amp. Makes no sense, but...

Someone is selling a very fine PA, well known, well regarded, bulletproof, used, for the same kind of money as a D800 (or others), over on the upright forum. Someone commented "why is this still here". Answer "takes a special buyer", and there just aren't that many of them/us.

13. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    If you are referring to the Focus SA currently for sale on the dark side, my understanding is that Acoustic Image sold less than 20 units per year for the three years they were in production. And right now you can buy a used two channel Focus integrated amp for 1/3 of the price. So yeah, you'd need to be a "special buyer", I reckon. Or_wink.gif

agedhorse likes this.
  14. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    I'm sorry; but, we do discuss preamps in this forum. Thanks for your vote of confidence, anyhow.:meh:

And, my reference to the modular power section was regarding being able to have replaceable sections in the cab.

You are welcome to not agree with the idea; but the personal slag is somewhat sad.

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  15. mikeGJ

mikeGJ Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Grand Junction, CO
    Sorry, not intended as a slag, even less intended as a personal one, just an observation on market economics.

I like the idea of modular power, just I was just pointing out that the potential market is slim, even though it includes me. Replaceable/swap modules in powered cabs would be cool and standard sizes and fittings would be wonderful.

B&O's Icepower modules seem to dictate the size and shape of things at the moment.

Yes, preamps do get discussed here, but preamps similar to and competing with the D800 DI Preamp are often regarded as "pedals", and as such end up in the effects sub-forum. I'm referring to things like the TH DI/pre, WTDI, Tech21 BDDI, VTDI, Paradriver, etc. as opposed to 19" rack mount Sansamp products, or microphone preamps pressed into service for URB use, or boutique "true" preamps (Demeter). I could have been clearer!

bucephylus likes this.
  16. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    I'm with you on the preamps that happen to be in (large) pedal size boxes should be in the Amps and Cabs section. The GK Plex thread should be in A&C as well. They may have some on board effects (such as OD and compression) but they are primarily preamps, IMO. :thumbsup:

mikeGJ and bucephylus like this.
  17. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    Gotcha. Thanks. There is certainly a pedalboard movement underway. I try to stay hip to new things; but that one flies in the face of stuff I messed with a long time ago. YMMV

mikeGJ likes this.
  18. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    Agree. But, it is starting to get a bit less well defined, isn't it?

The more things change, the more they remain the same. Or something like that.:)

mikeGJ and Jeff Scott like this.
  19. mikeGJ

mikeGJ Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Grand Junction, CO
    On the Double Bass side it's easier, "Amps, Mics and Pickups".

Cabs, effects, and preamps are in there too,but there are fewer postings there in a week than there are here in half a day.

20. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Bring Back Edit/Delete

Nov 30, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    There are three basic elements to a bass "amp": the preamp, the power amp, and the speaker+enclosure.

You can buy this system all at once (combo amp), in two parts (bass head + cab), or in three parts (preamp, power amp, cab).

Suggesting that a discussion about a preamp belongs in effects is silly. That's about the best word I can use without baiting a moderator to send me a warning.

murphy likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021