Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Metal with a horn section/Jazz Metal

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Adam Barkley, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I recently found a thing I love to death. Metal with a horn instrument in the band. But this stuff is harder to find than a needle in a haystack. Searching for "Jazz metal" has brought up some interesting things to say the least.

Youpi. Youpi
    I, for the life of me, cannot find the slightest bit of jazz in any of the 5 songs featured here. Like a groovy version of Alice in Chains to these ears.

Shaun Baxter. Shaun Baxter Boring shred guitar, nothing to see here.

Brace FaceBrace Face Weirdness akin to Mr Bungle. Not what I am looking for. Way too much Stan Getz* style singing. *He might not be the person I am thinking of

Thus far I've found and liked:

The Mass. Metal/hardcore with a sax. The Mass

Ephel Duath. Metal/prog with a trumpet and the occasional keyboard bit.
    Ephel Duath

Ritual Space Travel Agency. This stuff is more about weirdness than metal. But it's still cool. Woodwinds of some sort.RSTA

I've heard good things about Kayo Dot, better things about Maudlin of the Well, and okay things about Yakuza. I'll be getting the Yakuza disc before to long.

Opinions, suggestions?

Thanks,
    Adam

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Candiria - "300% Density" and "The Process of Self Development"

On these two albums they had a full time horn section, so there's quite a bit of the jazz stuff going on.

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I have 300% Density. I haven't spun it in a while, but I believe I remember the odd horn here and there now that I think about it. Is the Process of Self Development better than 300%? I was on the fence about 300% Density.

Thanks for the reminder.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Dunno, I'll have to dig up my Candiria and check it out. I haven't listened to them in a long time, either.

5. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I liked what I heard fo RSTA I wish I could hear a full song. I hear alot of Zack de la Rocha influence in his singing style sometimes

6. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    There's not much Jazz influence, but Therion's "Secret of the Runes" uses orchestral horns really effectively.

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Dig, I'll check them out.

Thanks.

8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Okay I listened to 300% Density.

On Constant Velocity.., they break into a jazz motif and then alternate between metal and jazz. That is pretty cool, I forgot about that bit. Obvious Destination has another little jazz breakdown. Songs like Contents Under Pressure (mainly the intro and outro) are what I think I am searching for.

Opposing Meter is still as boring as the first time I heard. Oooo, ambience and cars passing.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    "Saddam a go go" by Gwar. ;)

I've been searching for this style of metal as well for some time. You should start a band that sounds like the music you want to hear! Luckily for you, there are plenty of ska kids without bands right now because.. well ska sucks... snag their horn section and make it happen. :D

10. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.
  11. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I found a place that still has Maudlin of the Well's first album, so I imagine I'll get that when I go on my next spree.

Apparently I need Realplayer to play that clip. I'll try and find a demo I can download.

12. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    The problem I've found with horns is that alot of those guys can play any piece of music you put in front of them, but when you tell them "Create", they are lost. I've met a trombone player, a flutist (flautist?), several trumpet players, and cellist and all were the same way. I wish I could find one who could improvise though. I have found a gospel piano player and I swear we share the same brain. Got a drummer lined up, but I'd like a horn and the right guitarist to complete the group. Aiming for groove funk without borrowing too much from MMW.

My last band thing that I was involved with, the singer could play acoustic guitar and play sax. No metal, more of a singersongwriter thing, but that was where my head was at a few months ago.

I started a thread that had some of our songs if you're interested. Search for "Some old songs from a now defunct group". Or look about a page back.

13. Phe

Phe

May 30, 2005
    Oulu, Finland
    Dog Fashion Disco's "anarchists of good taste". Reminds me of mr.Bungle but not too much. Good stuff, jazzy metal with saxophone.

14. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    When I was listening to that album all I could think about was how much more I like Mr Bungle. DFD is like watered down Bungle-lite to me. I'll give them another listen to see I judged them wrong.

I could see a tour between them and Mindless Self Indulgence.

Thanks for the reminder.

15. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Ok I gave DFD another spin. I still think they are a nu-metal version of Bungle but that is besides the point.

The horn bits on Pink Riots were pretty tasty, I must say.

Thanks for reminding me of them.

16. Naked City
    Various John Zorn compositions

17. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Well that narrows it down to hundreds of possible Zorn cd's. :D

I know there are like 120 Masadas and that is a side project.

18. Amastacatious

Amastacatious

Jul 20, 2005
  19. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Thanks for the link. Their website was DOA.

They kind of remind me of Tin Hat Trio and GSY!BE, but with vocals. Not heard the metal yet (I've only listened to Wayfarer), but regardless I like their sound.

Thanks again.

20. "Casualties of Jazz"

They are a jazz band that do Black Sabbath songs.