1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mic v. DI

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joe.shaffer, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Mic'd cab

57 vote(s)
    32.0%
  2. DI

94 vote(s)
    52.8%
  3. Neither, just use an ungodly amount of watts.

12 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. Carrots...

15 vote(s)
    8.4%
  1. Joe.shaffer

Joe.shaffer

Nov 25, 2008
    Cabot, AR
    Just a poll to see what everybody else likes. I like a mic'd cab myself.

2. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

On a noisy stage, a mic may pick up too much ambient sound. Many variables: the mic, its position, the band volume and the FOH operator.

Having both DI and mic allows the FOH guy to choose a mix of the two.

3. Lot's of threads on this.

If you use your amp to significantly color your tone (i.e., tube overdrive, driver grind from old sealed multi 10 cabs, etc.), mic'ing a cab makes sense.

If, on the other hand, you use a more clean, pure tone, it makes very little sense, and a good, transparent DI is much easier for sound professionals to deal with.

4. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I prefer a mic'd cab, but bring my own DI (countryman) so that when I have to, I'm getting the sound of my head (70's V4, no DI out). I had a gig the other night where the sound guy went to hook up his DI off my pedal board, so I got mine out and had him set that up, then he was like "oh and I'm going to set up this mic in front of your cab so it looks cool, but I'm not going to turn it on." :spit:

5. Mic vs. DI = recording vs. live performance imo. Mics sound more natural but DI's are usually more practical for live gigs.:ninja:

6. MichaelThomas

MichaelThomas

Mar 24, 2009
    Miami
    I always blend both. That should've been a choice.

7. +1

8. Clammy

Clammy

Nov 3, 2008
    Ottawa, Canada
    Endorsing Artist: Neal Moser Guitars, DR Strings
    I run both. Usually, the mic goes to the main PA, and the D/I signal to the subs (if they have them). I also use both in the studio. Makes a big difference.

Cheers!

9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    DI works but a miked cab sounds better to me.

10. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Ungodly Watts = bad back
    Mic = problematic bass response (in my experience)
    DI = best of all worlds.

Guitar is another thing - gotta have a mic, no doubt.

But bass? Same with keys - the idea is to not let your amp color your sound, right? A buddy of mine uses a bass rig I put together for him for his keyboards - and it sounds great. Interestingly, I've found that bass sounds pretty good through good keyboard amps, too.

11. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    +1

Or if you use a lot of effects or modeling, it's much better to send a DI after the effects/modeler. The sound engineer will have a accurate signal of the sound you want to convey.

If you have multiple drivers in your amp, like a woofer, mid, and tweeter, it's nearly impossible to set up a single mic.

12. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I do either and sometimes both. Depending on the situation.

13. Rando McNally

Rando McNally

May 21, 2008
    My sound guy is a bass player. I run my bass in direct, run another signal from the DI on my preamp (post everything), and then mic. He mixes the three channels til it sounds how I like it, and he knows my tone. I don't even need to check FOH sound anymore, and compliments on my sound and tone are so common that they've all just blended into a pure certainty in my mind that this 3 pronged approach is the only way to support bass in the PA. Every room is different. Every stage is different. If you have the channels on the board, use 'em!!!

The one trouble is that it's tough to change stage volume without changing FOH volume. To get this done we compress the mic in front of the cab so that I can boost that volume without it boosting FOH sound too much. If I want to boost FOH and stage volume, I hit the volume pedal in my effects loop.

It's a little bit of tweaking and getting to know the setup, but it is the best setup I've ever used.

Perhaps you don't have your own guy, and perhaps your sound engineer is not a bass player. If this is the case, fire them immediately, and hire a bass player to run your PA!!!

14. Mike H

Mike H Senior bassist Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2006
    DI post EQ.

Mike Harrison
    http://www.myspace.com/mikeharrisonbass
    ~ 1961/66 fretless Fender Precision ~ 2003 G&L L-2500T
    ~ 2005 Michael Kelly 5-String Fretless Acoustic Electric
    ~ Markbass Little Mark II ~ Bergantino AE112
    ~ BOSS ME-50B Multi FX

15. Dellers

Dellers

Nov 7, 2006
    Norway
    DI usually works fine imo. I usually play without effects or anything, and DI doesn't color the sound of the bass

16. Limpingbass

Limpingbass

Sep 19, 2008
    IL
    In before JimmyM :D

17. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    what if the DI models a cab and mic (POD X3)?

18. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    I prefer to use a mic, but I usually go with DI. Maybe it's just a problem with my MXR, but sometimes when I connect to a board I get some added signal noise. And usually all the ground lift switch does is change who gets it, me or the sound guy. A mic doesn't interfere with my signal, plus I like my GK sound.

19. Rando McNally

Rando McNally

May 21, 2008
    Some of these models are okay, both the line6 variety, and the COSM (roland) iteration.

However, to me they sound processed, digital, sterile, and lack any of the real sweetness in the amps they model. I have probably $1000 worth of modeling gear that gathers dust because it's clear that a good rig is much better.

I'll say that I find their guitar models to be great, for the most part.

Also, if you are running an amp modeler, they tend to sound nicer through PA cabs than through bass cabs. Go figure.

20. zagnut

zagnut

Jan 4, 2009
    Back in Detroit
    carrots.