1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Might have found my stolen bass-HELP!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by faulknersj, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Just walked out of a shop. Saw what I am almost positive is my bass that was stolen about 5 years ago. I wrote down the serial number and will check my files when I get home. I filed a police report. What should I do?

2. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    File a new report. Let the police do their job.
    If it is yours, and you filed your report 5 years ago, that should be proof enough to get it back.
    Good luck.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  3. Thank you!

Any idea if there is a statute of limitations? Anyone?

4. PazzoBasso

PazzoBasso

Jan 21, 2011
    YYZ
    Once you determine that it is yours, I guess you need to contact police & hopefully they can refer to the old report & will do something... Unfortunately, I think this kind of crime is low on the priority list for most law enforcement agencies. I do hope you get it back & I hope they can track down the lowlife that stole it...

Alternately... Form a posse & make things right!

Dug2 and faulknersj like this.
  5. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    There may be a SOL. But if it were my 5 year long stolen bass, I'd want it back!
    You'll need to ask the PD.

faulknersj likes this.
  6. Teacher

Teacher

May 3, 2012
    Had you sent it to JPATA?

spaz21387 and Immigrant like this.
  7. What is JPATA?

8. Some dick member that ripped lots of people off and I helped figure out his name and address as the punk bought something from me which gave me his info via our paypal transaction.

Hope you get the bass back man!

spaz21387, SeamzKing and faulknersj like this.
  9. ukulelelab

ukulelelab

Apr 14, 2013
    Is it your old bass?

faulknersj likes this.
  10. Teacher

Teacher

May 3, 2012
    Search for the JPATA thread. Seriously, it was a fascinating series of events.

IGotGas and MDBass like this.
  11. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Good luck!

faulknersj likes this.
  12. The serial numbers match! Saw it hanging in a shop! It was stolen from my car!

13. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    Call cops ASAP, before they get busy with Friday night. They have nothing better to do mid-day, and it can pad their stats and earn goodwill so while not a "major" crime, they should be very happy to deal with it.

If you can prove it's yours, they should just grab it and hand it to you, then the shop owner needs to show proof of who sold it otherwise they're in trouble.

Reminder to everyone periodically note all your serials #s and photo your gear, incl. pics of serial #s, incl. pedals, etc. etc.

If you're not one of the majority online at work committing time theft, log off and do it now for the gear you have at home. Then play some of it instead of talking about it!

14. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Sweet! Get the 5-0 on it and get it back. Keep us posted.

GKon and faulknersj like this.
  15. DannyBob

DannyBob

Aug 28, 2013
    UK
    To the batmobile!!!...........I mean the police

GKon, Alik, xgator4u and 7 others like this.
  16. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Call the police. Let us know what happens.

EDIT: Three of us said the same thing at the same time. I think the batmobile comment wins.

GKon, Alik, SeamzKing and 4 others like this.
  17. Go git your bass back!
    Edit: I'm subbing.

MYLOWFREQ, IGotGas and faulknersj like this.
  18. First, make sure this is your bass. Then go to the pawn shop and tell them that this is a bass that was stolen from you, show them the serial number and tell them you will be reporting this to the cops. The pawn shop must then pull it off of display and hold it -they cannot sell it- until the issue is resolved. However, and again, if you have solid proof, the most practical thing is to tell the pawn shop you will reimburse them for the amount they paid for the bass. If it gets tied up in the police report, it could take weeks if not months to get it back, and the cops will then put the pawn shop on their "buyers of stolen property" list, which the pawn shop does not want. And the pawn shop will lose any money they have tied up in it, and have to turn over the records of who pawned it, and anything else this possible thief may have pawned. So it would be better for everyone to just give the pawn shop the cost of the bass, walk out with it and not file a report. If the pawn shop tries to blow you off, don't get mad or call names, be very cool and matter of fact, business like, and just tell them what I put in bold type.

PS -- I see you have matched the serial numbers. Proof in hand, (and give them copies not the original) Head to the pawn shop right now, then to the cops if they won't sell you the bass for what they paid for it.

lizardking837, Alik and faulknersj like this.
  19. DocGeorge

DocGeorge Gold Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Indio, CA
    The shop owner could be in a lot of trouble for possession of stolen property...

faulknersj likes this.
  20. grogers311

grogers311

May 20, 2014
    Michigan
    Man that's awesome that you located it at least - even if u don't get the scum who took it (which I hope u do), at least u get your bass back! I'd be ecstatic!

faulknersj likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 12, 2021