1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Might have found my stolen bass-HELP!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by faulknersj, Jun 27, 2014.

1. LaBassGuy

LaBassGuy Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Don't worry about statute of limitations. That starts ticking from the time you discover the tort or crime, not when it occurred. After all, the law can't force you to sue to get your bass back when you don't even know who stole it.

faulknersj likes this.
  2. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    You're kidding, right?!?! Basically give advance notice to a potential fence of stolen goods, or to someone who'd just like to cover their ass, that you'll be taking action? How utterly naive and irresponsible to be perfectly frank and frankly polite about it.

If the pawn shop got ID from the seller there's no crime or problem. Yes, they lose what they paid possibly. That's called "cost of doing business". Reimbursing some or all of it would be a kind gesture.

The cops should not hold up its return at all. A report would take them 10 minutes and should probably be filed by end of shift.

I've had this same thing happen, albeit in a different jurisdiction, and I didn't even have serial number proof but I was able to describe some markings I couldn't have otherwise known about or accounted for, cop took the item, handed it to me and said "this shop is a known fence" and told me to get out. With any luck, the cops gave the shopkeeper a beat-down after I left. Maybe they were still operating, thus inspiring thieves to steal, thanks to people like you.

Dr Gero, Tekkers, Jhclark and 8 others like this.
  3. Here is my strategy. The shop is closed now. Im going to get a copy of the original police report in the morning. Then, I'm going to go to the shop, and take pictures of the bass to prove that it is in that shop. I will have my pics of the bass on hand with pics of the serial number. I will then go outside and call the police.

edpal and SirMjac28 like this.
  4. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I would contact the police before confronting the shop, but do it quickly. I'd also have in mind that you're not leaving without your bass once you do confront the shop as to not want the bass to disappear, so have all your proof in-hand. It might also be helpful to have a picture of you and the bass on a gig as additional proof if you have it.

Clark Dark, BMGecko, jsxtal and 2 others like this.
  5. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    Call police first and ask them to meet you. Your plan is good, but you're still tipping the guy off. I suppose there's no problem if you wait out front until the cops show, but if they're slow and you leave awhile don't be surprised if it was "sold" while you were gone.

In fact, call police NOW to at least get the ball rolling. And get their informed opinion instead of online guesswork.

If the guy saw you taking an interest in the serial number earlier, it might already be "sold" by morning. At least you'll have been on record tonight with the cops, though that might do no good it's better than waiting without any good reason.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  6. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Good luck

faulknersj likes this.
  7. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I'm so glad you found it and in my neck of the woods you will be paying the pawnshop to get your stuff back it sucks but the police care so little about this stuff in my area it's even difficult to press charges.

faulknersj likes this.
  8. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.
    Having been through something like this more than once, here is my advice. This is all assuming the serial number is on the original police report.

If you filed an insurance claim and received a settlement, the bass belongs to your insurance company. You will still need to notify the police, who will come and pick up the bass to put into evidence, and the insurance company so that they are aware. You would then (more then likely) be able to but the bass back from the insurance company for a reduced price (in my case it equaled 35 cents on the dollar, so a $100 item I bought back for $35)

If you did not have an insurance settlement, then you need to call the police with the original report number and tell them you have located the stolen merchandise. I would do this from the store (outside) and ask the police to send an officer over. If it has been 5 years, it is ore than likely that the person who pawned the bass is not the person who originally stole it. it may have been sold several times over the last 5 years. But the police may still want to investigate. In one of my cases, there was never an arrest even though the police had the name and address of the person who pawned my stuff. In the second case, there was an arrest although I do not know the outcome.

If you tell the shop owner that you believe that is your bass that was stolen, and you have a police report. They will have to pull the bass down and hold it for the police to pick up. They could also offer to sell it back to you at a reduced price (i bought my Fender P and Ibanez Roadstar basses back for $50 each, just so I would have them and not have to wait for the police) and you can still update the police report and they may investigate.

Good luck.

9. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Good advice

faulknersj likes this.
  10. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I work in this world.
    Fill out he report, gather any documentation of the stolen article (photos/serial data/etc) and present.

Now, here's where you might be hosed: If you failed to report it as stolen when it was first swiped, the popo might think you are a crank.
    And here's what's really perverse: the pawn store may have the right to charge your for your bass even if the police determine it was stolen - depends on the state / county.

Pawn shop laws are really odd.

Good luck.

Thisguy and faulknersj like this.
  11. There is no insurance company involved. I have to go to the police station to get a copy of the report. I might have it in my house but I'm not counting on it.

I have lots of pics and friends who can attest that I bought it brand new. I don't intend to pay anything for it because it's my bass...is that unrealistic?

Red Planet likes this.
  12. PS. It's a Musicman Stingray 5 I custom ordered in 99'. He has it listed for $1250

13. ukulelelab

ukulelelab

Apr 14, 2013
    good luck. hope you have it back

faulknersj likes this.
  14. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    did you file an insurance claim back when it happened? If so, the insurance company owns that bass now

faulknersj likes this.
  15. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    ^ Don't waste your time getting a copy of the police report. Let the cops look it up. Should take them a minute via serial #.

I respectfully suggest your only concern should be calling the cops ASAP and following their advice.

16. buzzbass

buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Love stories like this. Go get your baby back

Jhclark, faulknersj and grogers311 like this.
  17. I'm
    I hear you...but it will still be there in the morning. I looked at a bunch of basses to make sure it's not obvious...I didn't take any pictures and I barely looked at it.

18. zortation

zortation

Dec 26, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    The pawn shop will not give the bass away...but some of them do work with police because I'm sure this is a regular occurrence for them. This is where that police report comes into play.

faulknersj likes this.
  19. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Subbed for the hope of a positive outcome!

Good Luck Brother!

20. +1

IGotGas and faulknersj like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 15, 2021