1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mike Lull update

Discussion in 'Rocket Music' started by RocketMusic, Jun 2, 2011.

1. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    For about a week now, I've been telling myself to pick up the phone and call Mike Lull since I know I'll be out in the Seattle area in July. It's a great chance for me to setup a shop visit to meet Mike and his folks.

Lo and behold, they called me today. Serendipity! I got a chance to learn a bit about them, they got to learn about me... it's a beautiful thing! I certainly liked everything I heard about them, so I'll be putting together an opening order for them in the next week or two.

If anyone has any suggestions on what they'd like to see me order initially, then by all means please chime in!

2. Bipslapper

Bipslapper Well Ahoy, Paloi Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Cape Cod, MA
    Great news Greg! I love my Lull bass and when I had any questions I would call and a real human would answer the phone! I spoke to Paul a few times with questions about electronics, pick guards, etc., and he was always helpful and professional. Kind of like a North Carolina based outfit I visited once.

My Lull M5V is a great bass, also Thunderbird fans will dig Mike's take on that as well. But it is the jazz bass they make that really is awesome. Passive and active, light weight and fully customizable. Good Stuff.

Jerry Vroom will certainly have better suggestions than me, but I am glad to hear of the news and am sure it will be a great relationship for both parties involved.

3. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    Between my Roscoe and Leather
    Owner: Cockeyed Cow Custom Leathercraft
    Jerry "The Lull King" Burdick.......Paging Jerry "The Lull King" Burdick. Reprt to the Rocket Ship Stat.:smug:

:D

God Bless, Ray

4. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Excellent news!

I wish you much success with carrying a Lull line.

Just please, no 5er P's with maple boards...... :D

5. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    Greg, One 5er P with maple board please, in green preferrably.;)

:bag:

:help:

God Bless, Ray

6. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    So not this?!?

[​IMG]

Looks great to me!

1) P5 black w/ tort guard & BE Maple Board
    2) ?
    3) ?
    4) ?
    5) ?

7. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Bill can have another green bass after he buys the Roscoe T 5'er! :D:D:D

8. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    Uh oh....:ninja::smug:

No bass for Bill!

God Bless, Ray

9. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Their PJ 5 is a great bass, but I think it is better with active electronics. Sunburst/tort/rw. Probably should get a JJ 4 or two as well to cover the Fender vibe. They make great instruments and the usually are pretty light.

10. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    If I'm allowed a vote, I'd go

M5V Alder/Cherry Sunburst
    Rosewood Neck
    Pearl PG
    Barts

Can I get a second?

God Bless, Ray

11. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    GHS Strings, 64 Audio in-ears, Mayones Basses
    Please suggest to them that 34" scale 5 strings are a truly great thing. I had a Lull and everything about it was top notch, except I could not get comfortable with the scale length and I think we're past the idea of needing a 35" scale for "strong" B.

12. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    No... nothing like that..... uhhhh, not... not my, um... cup of tea... no, not at all......
    Mmmmmmm..... Emerald Green Roscoe T-Bird 5.......... Drool_2.
    :meh:

13. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Here's what I'm thinking for a small opening order:

1) M4V: Ash/MP, Sunburst (looks like Honey Burst to me), pearl guard, single coils, Bart pre, hardshell

2) M5V: Ash/MP, Candy Apple Red w/ matching headstock, pearl guard, single coils, Bart pre, hardshell

3) M5V: Alder/RW, Cherry Burst, pearl guard, HB's, Bart pre, hardshell

4) P5: Ash/MP (preferably bird's eye), Black, tort guard, single coils, hardshell

And I'll follow that up with another order in 4-6 weeks...

:hyper::hyper::hyper:

What are the thoughts out there on single coils versus HB's from Lull?

14. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Are the active electronics an option from the factory, or is that an aftermarket thing? They certainly have an active electronics upgrade item, I'm just not 100% clear if it applies to the P5/PJ5... it probably does...

15. Just awesome, Greg! Here's hoping for a long and fruitful relationship.

I don't think anyone knows this, but I am a big fan of Mike's work. :ninja: Obviously, also being a fan of Rocket, I can genuinely say that this is a great partnership. Two businesses meant to work together...this will be awesome to watch over time.

Total FWIW on my account, but I can't speak highly enough about the M5V model. The penultimate five-string J bass, IMO. The Duncan single-coils that Mike specs are magic, but even better (again, IMO) are the linear humbuckers. All the single-coil love, with none of the noise. So, my vote for a "bread and butter" bass would be an M5V with the LHB's and Bart NTMB.

For potential customers, what really adds icing to the delicious cake is the off-menu choices. The "Custom" in the company name really is no joke. My candy apple orange bass is the perfect example. It's an M5V at the core, but....black hardware, no face dots on the board, a pearl guard, and of course a P/J pickup config, you can tell I had a bit of fun. And it sounds even better than it looks...

5643107987_2faf756825_b.

Mix and match a bit, and the possibilities are endless. Want a 24-fret J bass with a nice top? It's in there...in the model lineup, in fact...but between Greg and the boys on the left coast, you can truly make it your own. Speaking of the lineup, the new TC model is pretty awesome too, although those electronics make for a pricey jump from the M5V.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Imagine that. Congrats to both Greg and Mike. This one should be a lot of fun!

16. Ha! I'm posting at the same time. :) I love the looks of the opening order, Greg! That CAR bass sounds awfully familiar to my bass. :D (Even though mine is alder/rosewood.)

5440753042_c5f1182683_b.

It's got the single coils, and they sound fantastic. I mostly keep the blend knob centered, so noise is rarely an issue, but in some rooms it can be nasty. I absolutely LOVE the LHB's. To my ears, they're remarkably close to the single coils. In any case, this particular bass is the perfect example, IMO, of "Fender Shoulda'."

The P/J stuff is, as I understand it, a bit more convoluted. By default, it'll have a P body and neck, with the option of a pre-amp. You can go that route, or....my preference is for the J body and neck of the MxV, and simply swap the J for a P pickup.

17. Bipslapper

Bipslapper Well Ahoy, Paloi Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Cape Cod, MA
    Here's mine with tort pg, I also have a parchment one.

attachment.

Alder body, maple neck and board, graphite reinforcement rods, ultra light tuners, Semour Duncan passive pups, Bart pre. Nice and light.

Great slapping tone and plays like buttah. The 35" scale is a big difference if you are a old school Fender Jazz dude, but I am very used to it and I don't have Tony Robbins like Banana hands!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

18. ^ Pete's bass is AWESOME. And I say that because I have its twin. :D :D Mine wears a black guard, but I have to say...an ash/maple Lull is a thing of musical beauty. Bark and snarl when you dig in, but it's remarkably smooth, warm, and polite with a lighter touch. It is an amazing funk and R&B machine.

19. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    I REALLY LIKE #3, but I'm surprised you didn't make it #2:ninja::bag::help::p

Took you long enough Jerry! I even put out tha Batsignal and everything.:ninja::smug:

God Bless, Ray

20. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Awesome axes there, Jerry, Pete. :cool:

Sounds like a tasty opening order.