Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by ImAGoodDuck, Sep 18, 2004.

1. I didn't really know where to put this so sorry if its in the wrong placec. I have been playin Milestones a lot lately and playin it very very fast. I don't really have any problems with walkin the line and keepin up but I was wonderin whats your take of fast bass solos? This is one that I just usually gracefully bow out off when it comes to solos but I was just wonderin what you guys thought?
  2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I'm hazarding a guess that you're talking about the new Milestones (which is just called Miles on the record MILESTONES - Mile's tones, get it?)

Playing fast is a function of where your technique is sure, but it's also a function of what you are hearing. Most of us have had the phenomena of being able to play a bop head at a faster tempo than we can blow on it. That's because somebody already went to the trouble to pick the notes out for you.

So you got two ways to approach this:
    1. TECHNIQUE - you can't play it fast if you can't play it slow. Shed the tune -melody (go through all twelve keys, that's nice), changes (shed your minor arps in all inversions and in open and closed position). Start with nome at qnote=60bpm, move up slowly.
    2. CONCEPTION - plat it A LOT. At every session call it, start at a much slower tempo, get comfortable and then start moving the tempo up. When a trio I was working with wanted to play JOSHUA, we started using it as a break tune. Just play the head and out. SO we were playing the form of the tune 3 or 4 times a night, 6 to 8 times a weekend. You start getting the form and changes in your ear, the easier it is to hear **** to play.