1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MIM Fender J headstock

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by charliefreak, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Gotta a MIM fender question!
    I have a MIM 5 String Jazz bass and I noticed today that the machine heads are in line as opposed to the G being on the other side of the headstock. The pegs look more like the hipshot shape on the end, rather than the fender one that fits in guitar winders. I understand that the machines could have been swapped at some point. But does anybody know what's with the inline machine heads rather than a 4+1 layout?
    Any info is appreciated!

Thanks!!
    CF

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    The Fender MIM Jazz Bass V models often had a five-in-line headstock

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Is there a gold/red sticker on the back of the headstock?.

4. This is common with the Active Deluxe line. The Standard V will still have the 4+1 setup.

5. That's what I thought. But this is a passive Standard V. I don't see a sticker or anything on it. I'm probably the 3rd owner. I would guess it's about 12 years old, or has just yellowed really badly. I guess it could have been swapped out for a delux V neck, but I don't know why anyone would need that.

Thanks for the input guys!

6. my 2000-2001 MIM fender jazz 5 has inlines

7. That's interesting. It must be something they were doing just at that time. Were your machine heads on kind of crooked too? I'm about to send it out to ceg hardtails and I'm suddenly noticing all of these flaws! lol

8. never took notice to whether or not they're on crooked. i'll look tonight.

9. Andyman001

Andyman001 moderation must be taken with a grain of salt

Feb 11, 2010
    Idaho
    Mine are inline also. '02 MIM V.

Does anyone know if the ultra lights will fit in the same holes?

10. Get the right tuner ream & they will. Hipshot makes like 3 different Ultralites.

11. xring

xring

Sep 16, 2003
    Ohio
    Older American Standard 5's also had inline tuners.