1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MIM vs. MIA

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by geremia, Mar 7, 2008.

1. geremia

geremia

Feb 28, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    I'm sure this has been done before, but I can't find it...

Let the debate begin...is a Fender MIA worth the extra loot?

2. What about MIJ/CIJ ?

Generally people will say yes, its worth the extra, your getting a bass thats (generally) better quality all round.

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    As a bassist and purchaser, you must decide that for yourself. Go play them. The only debate is within, IMHO. :cool:

4. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    IME....yes. MIA Fenders are much more consistent and feature-laden than their MIM brethren. Thats not to say that there aren't nice MIMs out there. Also, the upper echelon MIM basses have taken a serious step up over the last few years and they do give MIA Fenders a run for their money. In the end though, MIA Fenders are much better across the board IME. The only reason I would choose a MIM over a MIA would be if I had budget issues.

5. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    I played a guys MIM P bass for a while and liked it. Got my MIA Jazz a few years back and will never look back. Worth it.

6. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Yeah.

7. jonnychicago

jonnychicago

Mar 20, 2006
    Chicago
    you've just got to be patient and find the right bass, whether it's MIM or MIA. i've got an MIM precision that i switched the pickups and bridge on, but i can't imagine the neck feeling any better on an MIA. it's perfect.

8. vince a

vince a

Jun 13, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    . . . there is a huge difference in the necks!

9. you need to look it over,,, I personally think the american series just feel better but I do not buy anything newer than 2000 because I find I like that super tight neck joint.. where is 2001 and later first thing I look at is the gap in the body where the neck is MIM or not I find its hit or miss with the fenders on that alone.. 2nd I try to see how nice of an adjustment I can get off the truss rod..

also I thought (not sure) that the american basses had graphite reinforced necks where the mexican only have a truss rod?

10. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

You're right, this has been done to death.

Search for "fender america" or "fender mexico" and you'll get a ton of threads.

11. RIjake

RIjake

Nov 10, 2007
    New England
    For me I like to buy American whenever possible.

12. jonnychicago

jonnychicago

Mar 20, 2006
    Chicago

i'm sure you're right, and i never claimed they were the same, i just said i couldn't imagine it being better than what i've got.

in other words...i'm satisfied..?

13. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
    MIM Standard series vs MIA? Yeah, pretty big difference.

MIM Classic series (ex. Classic 50's P) vs MIA? No, very little, if any difference.

IMHO, of course.

14. honeyboy

honeyboy

Oct 31, 2004
    What? You're satisfied with your bass? You're on the wrong website!!:D

Actually I did the same thing you did on my '94 MIM P-bass- Seymour Duncan pick-up, new pots, metal knobs, a Gotoh 201 bridge and even a tortoise shell pickguard for a total cost of $450.00- half the cost of a new 2007 American P- and even lighter weight. Other bass players love it. I'm quite happy with it.

15. no1likesme

no1likesme

Dec 26, 2006
    Shepherd, MI
    I just got the Mark Hoppus sig (MIM) in a trade and I was wondering if anyone knows how it compares to the Fender MIA's

16. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    +1

17. Well, the MIA's have tone knobs...

18. no1likesme

no1likesme

Dec 26, 2006
    Shepherd, MI
    I probably should have been more specific.

I was asking how they compared in build qualty.

19. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I have a 2007 mia and a 2007 mim. I would say if you have the extra cash the mia is nicer but my mim sounds and plays great.
    The only thing with the mim is the bridge is on the cheap side. I replaced it with a $30.00 Gotoh and changed the white pickguard to black.
    the midnight wine is the mim and the butterscotch is the mia.

DSC00054.
    DSC00051.

20. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Agreed. I've had several great ones and duds of each. Just got to find the right one. Go to a shop and play as many of each as you can!