Modulus Mob

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rockstarbassist, Feb 28, 2007.

1. I owned a mod like that now that I think about it. Never gave me any issues and the neck remained straight.

2. raal

raal Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Minneapolis / St Paul
    After a discount accounting for needed repairs, perhaps ...

3. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    ^^^This seems very plausible. If you're a Glass-Half-Full kind of guy you could instead surmise that maybe the crack is superficial, only going through the finish or perhaps also the outermost cosmetic layer of carbon fiber without impacting anything structural underneath

...but Imma go with @loveandbass' analysis.

4. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS
    So, after tweaking a few things (note to self: make sure strings aren't twisted when you string it up. Kills the low end and resonance!), this is now my #1 bass. When I'm not playing my Starfire, that is. Sounds and feels wonderful. Gigs start up next weekend, so it will be played frequently. My only worry is that it's the prettiest bass I've ever owned and in utterly perfect condition (Thanks, bshaze! It's killer!), so I'm paranoid about dings and scratches. It's like a bass made out of emerald.

Just because I'm like that, I'm experimenting with pickups. My feeling is that the 40CSs sound great for finger style and slap while the 40DCs are perfect for pick playing. I also updated the electronics so I could have an active blend. The bass sounded great and was super quiet before and it's even more so now.

IMG_8221.JPG IMG_8222.JPG IMG_8223.JPG

MMiller28, Al Axe, UpperBout and 9 others like this.
  5. GeoffGould

GeoffGould Commercial User

Jan 10, 2004
    San Francisco
    owner of G. Gould Basses
    You are going to fix the knobs, eh?

bshaze, Bob_Ross, Fred312b and 3 others like this.
  6. edwinhurwitz

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Hah!

It's on the agenda. First I need to rout out the inside where the double pots go to give myself more room so the nice gold stacked knobs will fit. Every instrument I have is a work in progress and this is no exception!

Fred312b likes this.
  7. markwrob

markwrob Gold Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2016
    Boulder, Colorado
    Hi @edwinhurwitz , is this the same bass you were having the fundamental tone issues with? So they were caused by twisted strings?

ETA: I cant seem to find the post where I recalled you inquiring about fundamental tones. Hmmm.

Last edited: May 1, 2021
  8. I have the red twin to that bass. Very nice. Christmas mods

edwinhurwitz likes this.
  9. edwinhurwitz

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Yeah, I deleted it because I was embarrassed that I made such a rookie mistake. They were strings that I borrowed from another bass. This bass has a little hole in the bridge for them to go through rather than a drop in system, so as I twisted the string to get the end to get into the tuner, they didn't move freely at the bridge.

Fred312b and markwrob like this.
  10. edwinhurwitz

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Pix? :bassist:

11. markwrob

markwrob Gold Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2016
    Boulder, Colorado
    It is a beauty, and great to hear the solution to so fundamental an issue!

12. Ballin'bass

Ballin'bass

Jun 16, 2014
    Madison, WI
    MMiller28 and edwinhurwitz like this.
  13. MMiller28

MMiller28 Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Thanks, it's amazing! Definitely gives the notes a bit of an airy/acoustic quality, and it takes off a few ounces.

14. MMiller28

MMiller28 Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
  15. Al Axe

Al Axe

Nov 18, 2019
    IMG_4800.jpg I never was completely happy with Barts. These pickups are custom made and they give me the right feel, especially in a passive mode.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    DeathDancer, MMiller28 and raal like this.
  16. GeoffGould

GeoffGould Commercial User

Jan 10, 2004
    San Francisco
    owner of G. Gould Basses
  17. JefferyCramp

JefferyCramp

Jun 12, 2020
    So... Here is a Modulus 1999 Quantum 5.

It came with a little story -- I got this bass from a small local studio's store room. They were tidying up the store room, throwing away some broken equipments including this bass. You can see why they are throwing it away from the first three pictures attached, it's quite nasty in condition and having no sound from output jack at all.

With absolutely no idea what a Modulus bass was and worth back then (forgive my dumbness) , I offered them to fix the bass and repairing some other amplifiers. They also told me to throw the equipment away if I can't fix them - they'll just buy something new.

Fast forward to the day I received the cluster of equipments. I firstly started to work with the bass as it seems needing most care. I unscrew the plate and.... A BARTOLINI PREAMP. I was completely shocked and I started to search information about the brand, and.... I have absolutely no idea why they would have this bass in their little store room.

The bass is quite hard to fix. It got some of the problems I've seen in this thread, like cracked poly finish from the neck, faded gold hardware, a broken preamp (no signal at all so I guess the opamp inside it burnt out) and a cloudy, yellowish poly finish of the body. Almost all the screw were stripped except those tiny screws holding the tuners. Luckily the pickups are still working so I don't have to replace them.

I reported back the cost of repairing, and those guys at the studio said its way too expensive (for sure, the bass cost me nearly a half grand to fix even with DIY spraying works) and I could either keep it or throw it away. I feel a bit guilty just getting this bass for free so I repaired and checked all the amps that came with the bass and return to them for free.

Having the bass fixed with chrome hardwares and an ESP Cinnamon preamp installed, and an oil finished body with a couple layers of lacquer protecting it from dents, the bass is now back in action. The diy finish is definitely not perfect, but I think I won't sell it (it's quite inappropriate to do so) so it's fine. Had a few gigs with me and it sounds like no other basses. The neck profile is quite comfortable for me given that this is actually the first ever 5 string bass I've ever "owned". I'm REALLY REALLY grateful for getting it.

UPDATE: By the time I'm writing this, the studio guys contacted me and said the previous staff at the studio bought this from local flea market for a "really low price" as it seems having a plastic neck instead of wood..... Anything can happen in your life.;)

2021-05-13 23.05.47.jpg 2021-05-13 23.05.42.jpg 2021-05-13 23.05.33.jpg 2021-05-13 23.05.18.jpg 2021-05-14 01.11.49.jpg

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  18. raal

raal Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Minneapolis / St Paul
    Great story, I like the plastic neck quote. And the Q5 is actually a nice one. Enjoy!

JefferyCramp likes this.
  19. edwinhurwitz

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    I'm so glad to hear that this bass is finally in the hands of someone who will play it and love it! I think it looks fine. It doesn't have to have a showroom finish to play well and sound great.

bassmike2010 and JefferyCramp like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021