1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Modulus not Flea anymore

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by simongpaez, Aug 13, 2008.

1. cigi

cigi

Aug 22, 2006
    I hope he get's an SX endorsement. I would buy it like that :bag:

2. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    No one thus far has mentioned that the renamed bass is the "F. U. Bass"?
    :D :D

3. 76Dub

76Dub Guest

Jul 9, 2008
    Maybe Lakland will snag him up!

4. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Then it could be the Flea Tribute Bass...:bag:

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    All Flea would ever post is this:

:scowl:

6. I hope he doesn't get a signature bass. I don't like him, as a bassist or a person.

7. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    Lets just say this was a long time a coming.

As far as not liking the new name, well I'm not here to defend it per say you like what you like.

I do want to ask a question.

Does anybody here say Yuck when they here "Jazz Bass" or "Fender Jazz Bass" ?

I remember as a Teenager hearing the term "Jazz Bass" and thought every so slightly that it was a touch corny, however how brief as a moment that was, and that was it.

Its come to grow on everyone has in it...:smug:

Modulus named a instrument after a style of music and then appended the word "Unlimited" to it. To be honest I'm surprised someone has not done it sooner.

It does not matter what the name is...

They will continue to sell because of what they are as instrument period.

8. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    No, it was because he had strong stipulations in his contract that he had to use the Flea bass whether he was cutting thru the mix or not with the Fender Jazz Bass.

9. I just found out about the name change today and...well, I can't diss Modulus basses. They'll still be great instruments but the name could use some work. Meh, maybe I'll get used to it.

Here is a quote from the blog from Dave Rat, the sound guy for the Chili Peppers. He talks about the Fender not cutting through. When I met him, I asked him about it and he confirmed that him and Rick Rubin did ask Flea and Dave did the funniest impression of how Flea reacted, it was dead on. I don't know if contract requirements influenced his decision but if it did, it was only a small reason why he started using Modulus again. I'm glad he switched back, that vintage Fender sounded so wrong.

http://www.ratsound.com/cblog/index.php?url=archives/160-Day-195-Dec-4-Zurich-Show-2.html&serendipity[cview]=threaded

10. simongpaez

simongpaez Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2005
    The Woodlands , Texas
    You meant the Fender correct?

11. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Daytona beach, Fl
    That's O.K. Even Before it was a Flea It was called a Sonic Hammer.

12. Heh, I meant Fender. I'm so tired :meh:

13. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    yeah, that was what my reaction was: "well, it's kind of like the name 'jazz bass.' " :meh:

i say that flea is going to rock danelectros with a pick. (anyone else remember that joke from BP magazine? :bag:)

14. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Come on now!! I'm I the only one here who wants to "High Five" the guys at Modulus for remaning the bass F.U. after Flea apparently had a falling out with them?

That's friggin' hysterical. The only thing better would be if it had a flying middle finger inlay at the 12th fret or something.

15. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Endorsing Artist: AlienAudio Basses
    That's what I was wondering also.

16. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Daytona beach, Fl
    I remember hearing stories of the Photo Shoot with Flea they did for The Modulus ad many years ago. Apparently Flea Hadn't bathed in a few days and was so "ripe" he was grossing out the photographer and the Modulus people . FUNKY Indeed!

17. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Flea used a P bass for a few songs in the first album. It sounds really distinct from the tone he normally has. It sounds really good too.

18. rhcp32291

rhcp32291

Aug 19, 2007
    Long Island
    Awesome song, but IMO Frusciante is the only one with good tone in the video, very good tone. Flea isn't present in the mix with that jazz. Thats cleary why he ditched it.

19. Maybe he'll go with a signature Deluxe or Big Block Fender. Or maybe G&L?

20. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    maybe they just got sick of paying him money to have his name on the bass when he hasn't been using it exclusively.