1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mono M80 Dual Bag summary

Discussion in 'Rocket Music' started by VroomVroom, May 6, 2010.

1. Last week I purchased a Mono dual bag from Greg. I'd been on-again/off-again in the market for quite some time, and Greg made the decision an easy one. Here's a brief (I promise) summary.

Purchasing Experience
    News flash...Greg is awesome. :D Near instantaneous response to PM's, and a few additional questions gave me the opportunity to chat with Greg over the phone. He even took some measurements from his own bag to give me some perspective. Totally instilled confidence in the buying decision, and I even lucked out - Mono's distribution center is less than 20 miles away from me. I had the bag the next business day after ordering.

Greg does an amazing job of marrying quality local shop service, care, and expertise with internet efficiency. Kudos on the business model, and bigger kudos on executing it to perfection. And FWIW, this isn't faint praise. I consider myself a fortunate and very long-time patron of the best music store in the business, and Rocket is totally on-par.

Ok, enough butt-kissing. Let's talk about the bag, already.

Lots of 'em. Cliff Notes: if you're in the market for a double bag, I don't know that you can do any better than this one. Ain't cheap, but you can chase an awful lot of bad money around with inferior products, or you can belly up to this one without regret. Ok, specifics:

- Weight. First thing you notice. Very light compared to other bags I've tried/owned over the years. It's a featherweight compared to my current Low End double bag.

- Zippers. Love 'em. Single point of failure IME on other bags. These look stout, with ends that appear to be very durable.

- Instrument room/protection. Just awesome. Both instrument compartments look like they can handle any bass, while simultaneously offering ample protection. The neck brace concept is also a nice touch. Length? While playing around with test-fitment, my longest bass - Mike Lull 35" Jazz - fit with nearly 2" of room. Putting both six-string basses in the bag? No problem. I also love the separate compartment design - loading and unloading basses is a breeze, with none of the "packing sardines" concerns of previous bags I've owned.

Dislikes
    Minor in comparison to the benefits of this bag, but I do want to mention them.

- Main pocket. It's small - no real way around it. Last night I had to struggle a bit to get my Radial JDI in there with two instrument cables and a microfiber towel. Not a showstopper by any means, but it's snug.

- Shoulder straps. A few concerns here. First, I wish there was more padding. With two instruments in there, it's not comfortable using only one strap. Not a biggie, but... Adjusting the straps for "backpack" use involves compromise. Too tight, and it's awfully hard getting the second arm through there. Too loose, and the bag hangs low, making it a bit awkward to walk comfortably. I'm sure I'll find the right balance, but it'll take a bit more time. Finally, the fabric loops and plastic retainers used to attach the straps to the bag seem undersized and fragile. I could be completely wrong here, but this is definitely something I'll be watching over time. Not sure if this was a weight compromise, or if I'm simply overreacting, but when you've got ~ 20lbs of precious cargo on your back, you want to know those straps aren't going to detach.

Bada boom. Overall I'm very happy with this purchase. It's a bag that seems functional, durable, and good-looking. Here's a weaksauce cellphone shot from last night:

4583779131_6e0c926b0b_b.

Both basses were very happy. :)

The moral, as always: don't hesitate to buy from Rocket!

2. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
  3. RocketMusic

RocketMusic Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Hey, thanks for the kind words, Jerry!! 'Twas a pleasure, as always.

I hope the retainer clips hang in there for you! I've been carting my two Roscoes around in a MONO dual bag for almost a year now, and I've had no issues in that department... yet :) The good news is I think any small metal carabiner could be put to use should the pastic clip ever break.

I have considered looking around for some sheepskin or other padded shoulder strap overlay kinda things that I could put over the MONO shoulder straps to add some extra comfort. Sort of like the Ken Smith strap has, just bigger. The bag is always on my back for such a short period of time (from the car to the various clubs I play is never far), though, that I never remember to follow through...

4. Jonathon, how awesome is that? Happy birthday to you!

Carabiner? That's one of them fancy engineerin' words, huh? :D

5. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Nah, man, totally hippy :) There was a period here in town where all the hippies played hacky sack and carried their keys around on a carabiner. I believe it's more commonly a mountain climbing device, so you can find them at outdoor stores... and head shops :)

6. bobunit

bobunit I'm here. Now what? Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Idaho
    Hippy?! Man, I use one of them things for my keys! I read somewhere that GWAR consumed hippies. Since they reside in Richmond, I just figured hippes would be in short supply. :D

7. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    Ya dang, dirty hippie!! :bag:

Sorry, loose POTA reference :D

8. bobunit

bobunit I'm here. Now what? Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2008
    Idaho
    Totally agree! :bassist: I have had mine for about 6 months now and have been very pleased.

Oh and Greg is pretty cool too. :D

9. so how heavy does the whole thing get with two basses in it? of course it would depend on the basses but am just asking for a ball park to figure out the comfort level. my rockbag in it self is kinda heavy for just a gig bag

10. RocketMusic

Oct 31, 2007
    Blacksburg, VA
    Owner, Rocket Music
    I imagine the MONO dual bag weighs less than the single rockbag. That said, with two basses inside, it gets pretty hefty (20-25lbs? Mostly due to the basses). But it beats carrying two separate cases (hardshell OR gig bag)!!

11. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I'd say that's right - with two 10 lb basses, it's less than 25 lbs, probably closer to 23. But it's a one hand carry, and an easy one. Much easier than trying to grab two gig bags with one hand. :D

12. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    And yet more GAS today.... I could totally do with a double bag, I can definatly see good use in bringing two axes about.

I can totally se it being used to smuggle extra basses home when gas gets too much, as well... :D

13. haha bill you can smuggle one inside your clothes and no one would know anyway:ninja::p

14. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Thanks. :meh:

15. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Great review Jerry! That sounds exactly what I'm looking for. I've got the Roscoe Dub bag but while I'm sure that it protects the instruments OK, it's not as stiff as my former incase dub bag. It also doesn't have the separate loading compartments, which I prefer.

Greg,
    Shoot me a price.

:meh: Looks like I may be selling the Roscoe Dub bag. Anyone want to contribute to my Mono Dub bag fund via purchasing the Roscoe dub bag? It's in Excellent condition.

16. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Joe,

Pm me a price on the Roscoe bag when you get a chance!

17. am kidding man, ya mad at me?

18. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Not at all, I know you were kidding.

19. bassWR

bassWR

Nov 21, 2009
    Warner Robins GA
    +1 Greg,
    PM me a price as well.
    Joe,
    If Ryan doesn't take the Roscoe bag hit me up.
    TWO CASES ARE KILLING MY BACK!:help:

20. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Mono dual? Something about that just doesn't seem right. :eyebrow: :bag: :D