1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Most comfortable neck EVER?...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Claymore, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Thibby

Thibby Supporting Member

May 2, 2015
    New Orleans
    I originally thought that I loved jazz necks as I started out on a jazz, but I've come to find that I prefer the opposite (at least for the moment). My P bass originally had a thicker maple neck and I loved it, but the slimmer D is alright with the width. My Harley Benton has a fantastically thick neck with a normal p bass nut width, not overly thick but more than enough to grab onto and I love it.

Bobo likes this.
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Most comfortable 4 string neck I've ever played was a no-name Gibson EB-0 copy at a church I attended as a teenager years ago. But a very close second is a Fender Jazz Geddy Lee.

Fender Jazz Geddy Lee front.jpg

Most comfortable 5 string neck I've ever found is the one on my Lakland D55-01, with my Zon Sonus Custom a close second.

FB_IMG_1570755705033.jpg

Zon 10.jpg
    Most comfortable 6 neck I've ever played is the Peavey Cirrus. I love the neck on mine!

Cirrus 1.jpg

Bobo likes this.
  3. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    my ebmm big al has what i'm told is the sterling neck. it's quite magical.

my 1995 peavey fury bass has a very similar neck and it's magic as well.

as for 5 string, I really like my MTD Kingston. The asymmetrical design is comfy.

4. BDLNKYL

BDLNKYL

May 28, 2013
    NJ

5. Kevin Colt

Kevin Colt

Feb 9, 2015
    Bokeelia, Fl.
    none
    it's a tossup, the 72p baseball bat neck or the shallow C neck on my 62p. they both feel good.

Bobo and DJ Bebop like this.
  6. brian579

brian579 Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Staten Island, NY
    I love an early 60s precision neck. Wide nut width, slim front to back. Not the best for fast playing but comfy as hell.

Bobo likes this.
  7. Bobo

Bobo

Apr 11, 2017
    CT
    i’m with you there!

brian579 likes this.
  8. Bobo

Bobo

Apr 11, 2017
    CT
    DB3DFC71-EE11-4F72-8A90-D8DA36E4674A.jpeg
    with my ‘64...

DJ Bebop likes this.
  9. 4sight

4sight Supporting Member

I have a preference for a chunky neck, I've owned a couple of Fender Classic 70s Jazz Basses that felt really nice. U shaped with a 7.25" radius. Unfortunately I don't like blocks and binding... Or keep Jazz Basses for very long...

Bobo likes this.
  10. Hands down the best necks I've ever played were on my two Ernie Ball Music Man Sterlings. The contoured neck on my current AmElite Jazz is a close second.

11. Thegrandwazoo

Thegrandwazoo Supporting Member

Sep 8, 2013
    West Virginia
    To me, they're by a wide margin the least playable non-cheapo-beginner basses ever made. Sticky neck finish, usually incorrect relief since no one wants to mess with their truss rods, minuscule frets under 1/4" of lacquer, usually not set up properly because of their insane bridges, plus the necks feel like they're completely devoid of any taper in either direction. They're very well-made, they're just the polar opposite of everything I like in a bass.

Everyone's different, haha! I fully understand why a lot of Rickie players won't play anything else, they sure are weird compared to most other options. I did play a Ric once (don't know the model, but it had like a raw/oiled or real slick satin finished maple neck and fingerboard, it didn't play anything like any other Ric I've ever felt, it actually played pretty damn well for me.

Bobo likes this.
  12. Thegrandwazoo

Thegrandwazoo Supporting Member

Sep 8, 2013
    West Virginia
    Hear, HEAR!

BassNugget and Bobo like this.
  13. Guinness20

Guinness20

Jan 24, 2013
    Liverpool, UK
    Stingray (not the stingray special) - chunky but suits me as I have big hands, gunstock oil and wax finish mean it's silky smooth.

BassNugget and Bobo like this.
  14. BassNugget

BassNugget

Dec 9, 2019
    California
    +1 on that, as I have already state... Quod Erat Demonstrandem.

Bobo likes this.
  15. Bobo

Bobo

Apr 11, 2017
    CT
    C1747665-3099-4096-8817-AE95A0824626.jpeg My 80’s Fender Squire Chinese Precision Bass has a neck that is the closest to my old ‘64 Fender Precision Bass-the most comfortable neck I ever played.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  16. BasEd

BasEd

Jun 27, 2017
    On the whole I’d say most basses I’ve owned have comfortable necks. Modern manufacturing is pretty good. I like narrow Jazz necks that are not too deep from the fretboard to the back of the neck. Too deep is just as uncomfortably as too wide IMHO. I’ve had P basses and Stingrays and can cope with the wider neck as long as it’s not too deep.

I’ve owned nearly thirty basses over the years (Fenders, Sadowsky, Xotic, EBBM, Warwick etc) and I’d say that the whole bass needs to feel comfortable on the strap, not just the neck.

The three Jazz style basses I now own are all very comfortable but sound different. Played unplugged the two with maple necks sound bright even though one has an alder body and the other a swamp ash body. The one with the rosewood neck sounds darker.

The unplugged sound makes a big difference when plugged in. But the thing that makes the most difference are the pickups IMHO. Two are passive basses with single coils (one under wound and one over wound) and one is passive but with active EMG single coils. I love the subtle throatiness off the under wound singles coils. The over wound are more mid sounding with less scoop. The EMGs are scooped (fewer winds) and very clean and punchy. Also very throaty and totally silent too. Fantastic for finger picking and slap because the preamp in the pickups just boost everything that bit more but without it sounding like an active bass. Definitely my go to bass but the others are great too.

The last thing is to EQ to taste to bring out the best tone in the bass. I used to boost bass and treble (smiley curve) but now I run everything flat but cut the mud a bit (maybe -6dB between 200Hz and 300Hz). Perhaps a small boost between 2KHz and 3KHz to add some sparkle. Makes a huge difference and really lets the bass breath IMHO.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  17. BasEd

BasEd

Jun 27, 2017
    Whoops. Went a bit off topic there!

18. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Most comfortable neck I’ve ever played is on a bass I don’t own, an Ibanez SR500, but it’s pretty much any 4 string SR series. They all have super thin, fast necks. I could see myself selling off a bunch of basses and settling on one of those as my Old Fart comfort bass.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  19. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    The neck on my new Short Scale Stingray is kinda hard to beat.

0e66f2-rs_506.jpg

eadg98005 and Spidey2112 like this.
  20. DennisM

DennisM

Dec 28, 2018
    I own an Ibanez now but my 74 Fender Jazz Bass was my baby. More comfortable to play

Attached Files:

Bobo likes this.