1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Most obscure covers your band plays

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Jimmy4string, Aug 31, 2016.

1. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    there should be a stipulation here: Your cover band gets PAID to play, not just keggers and garage parties. Sneaking in a real oddball cover to a paid gig is *cool*; not so much at a kegger.

MoonChild2112 and SteveHeissner like this.
  2. Honch

Honch Guest

Sep 7, 2006
    Actually no one mentioned in the other thread "most overplayed covers" the tune Layla as played by Derek and the Dominoes. It's very well known but rarely played (but apprecieated by the audience) because musicians thinks it not simple enough. They get stumped with the half step key change between the chorus and verse all of the time. Then we'll do the part II of it too, with the piano thing going on, and harmony guitars, works a charm. People are dancing to it.

3. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    WA state
    Ov Fire and the Void - Behemoth

Grumry likes this.
  4. BoogieZK

BoogieZK

Sep 28, 2008
    Toulouse, France
    Cult of luna - Passing thru
    Nine inch Nails - The great below
    Deftones - Digital bath

Acoustic covers of this, you imagine how fast you can depress... ;-)

Grumry, lz4005 and Axstar like this.
  5. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    There's plenty of truth to that. But occasionally we run across songs with unique appeal that may have been popular a long enough way back to be unfamiliar to many of the younger audience. Examples: Bette Davis Eyes, Son of a Preacher Man. Obscure due to their age but not B sides either.

JimmyM likes this.
  6. MasonMinor

MasonMinor

Nov 29, 2014
    Kentucky
    Whitesnake's "Girl" and Zeppelin's Your Time is Gonna Come. And the Whitesnake version of the classic R&B song Ain't No Love in the Heart of the City

FrankLowend and SteveHeissner like this.
  7. George Thorogood - Cool It. All instrumental.

8. AWESOME!!!

MasonMinor and FrankLowend like this.
  9. A few of our rare ones:
    Banditos - The Refreshments
    Escape - Rupert Holmes
    It's All Been Done - Barenaked Ladies
    New Girl Now - Honeymoon Suite
    Burning in Love - Honeymoon Suite
    The Flame - Cheap Trick
    Does Your Mother Know - ABBA
    The Boys in the Bright White Sports Car - Trooper
    Animal - Def Leppard

Bear in mind that these are rare for my "countryfied" area of the globe, some of you may have covered them in various bands but in 25 years, this is the first band I'm part of that does them.
    Also, I'd like to give an honourable mention to a band I saw a few years ago who covered De Do Do Do De Da Da Da by The Police. And a fine cover they did too! Unfortunately, their name escapes me at present.

10. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North

11. Green Eyed Lady, Sugarloaf.

12. We did that with my high school band back in the 70s. The main riff/choruse alternates between 4/4 and 7/8 every other measure. After the dance (yes, they had real bands at high school dances in the 70s), someone came up and told me "you played some song that was impossible to dance to". I immediately know which one it was.

13. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    My band loves NRBQ and we do a number of their songs: Do You Feel It, Magnet, Blues Stay Away, Riding in My Car. Lately we've been doing Hey, Bulldog by the Beatles, which I've never heard covered by another band. We love picking deeper tracks.

HolmeBass likes this.
  14. tubedude

tubedude Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2015
    Ga
    Dorina. Dada
    It's alright. Big Head Todd
    Fourty or fifty. Spin Doctors.

15. bearhart74

bearhart74 Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2009
    I was in a band that did these

HolmeBass likes this.
  16. Xandrell

Xandrell

Aug 23, 2014
    We play mostly obscure songs;

Johnny Angel : Shelley Fabares
    In My Room : Beach Boys
    Bus Stop : The Hollies
    Incense and Peppermints : Strawberry Alarm Clock
    Summer in the City : Lovin Spoonful
    etc...

17. MJ_Sotti

MJ_Sotti formerly "Mike in Chicago"

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    none.

they won't listen to me.

as I'm referred to as "B side Mike"

18. We're not real good, but we sure have a good time!

two fingers likes this.
  19. MJ_Sotti

MJ_Sotti formerly "Mike in Chicago"

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    used to do hot smoke long ago..."dancing madly backwards" by captain beyond too

20. ianuaditis

ianuaditis

Apr 11, 2016
    Connecticut
    I thought that's what you meant. Was genuinely curious to ask what you guys play that's less obscure, but I didn't want seem to be belaboring the point.

And you're right about the Clash, what I should've said was the Clash covered a tune that was itself a reinterpretation of the original Stagger Lee.

Matthew Fisher likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021