1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Most obscure covers your band plays

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Jimmy4string, Aug 31, 2016.

1. asands

asands

Feb 1, 2011
    Troy Missouri
    Probably our most obscure would be Tool- The Pot. Most bands in this area do Sober or even 46&2 (which rarely go well). We also played a QOTSA tune called Smooth Sailing. I swear that song is the perfect "cool guy entering the room" theme song. Alas, it went over like a smelly dead fish so we cut it quick but I loved it.

nixdad likes this.
  2. Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy!

HolmeBass likes this.
  3. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    There are plenty of folks that just want to hear what they know, that's what a juke box is for, or get a DJ to pull it up on the internet.

Personally I like to see a band do something like take an old song and make it there own, predictable is boring , why be boring ?

McG, BassCliff and lz4005 like this.
  4. Rayjay

Rayjay If that’s even my real name..

Sep 27, 2014
    Lahaina, Maui, HI
    We did "Purple Rain," and it always brought down the house. Then Prince died...

We also did Bowie's Let's Dance, and also China Girl. Also brought down the house. Then, Bowie dies....

The obscurity always depends on the band's usual material. All of the above were way out of our usual repertoire.

I was once in a hippy jam band, we covered All Night Long by Lionel Ritchie, Diamonds On The Soles Of Her Shoes by Paul Simon, and one of my favorites The Thing That Only Eats Hippies by The Dead Milkmen

HolmeBass and nixdad like this.
  5. Band I was with a while ago did Fairies Wear Boots by Sabbath, Scatterbrain by Beck, Stratus by Cobham, Give You Money by Frampton, Hocus Pocus by Focus as an instrumental.

Jimmy4string likes this.
  6. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Choreography! (And super vocals, too)

BassCliff likes this.
  7. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Arc Angels Good Time. I'll see if I can't get somebody to get a video weekend after this. We always play it late in the last set, so only the truly faithful get to hear it. Also because even at 1:15 am when I think I'm just about out of gas, this brings me to a heightened state of awareness, as grandpa used to say.

8. Charlzm

Charlzm Guest

Mar 25, 2011
    My old band used to play "No One at the Bridge" by Rush...

9. Tom Howland

Tom Howland Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Give it up or Let Me Go-Bonnie Raitt
    Lady Madonna-Beatles.
    You Got The Silver-Rolling Stones.
    Long Red-Mountain.

McG likes this.
  10. Jloch86

Jloch86

Aug 1, 2016
    Lover you should've come over - Jeff Buckley

Hey Hey What Can I Do - Zeppelin

Symptom of the Universe- Sabbath

Jimmy4string likes this.
  11. Hmm.

We cover a Tom Petty song that was getting air play locally about two years ago when it came out, "American Dream Plan B".

We cover "Big ten inch record" by "Aerosmith", which was a cover of a "Bull Moose Jackson" tune.

Everything else that we do is pretty well known.

nixdad likes this.
  12. roccobass

roccobass Still funkin’ in the free world. Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2014
    California

13. InnerBass

InnerBass Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2014
    Thumpn' Happily
    Fearless by Pink Floyd - except we rock the S*** out of it !

HolmeBass likes this.
  14. This one is super fun to play...

15. bigswifty1

bigswifty1

Dec 8, 2011
    I'm hoping to go close to the win in this category - we do the following in the middle of an Australiana medley:

Mike

16. dtripoli

dtripoli

Aug 15, 2010
    CA
    "Stratus", played that song when it was released. It's a killer song featuring 7 minutes of Lee Sklar with that repetitive driving bass line.
    As a kid my left hand nearly fell off trying to keep up with the drummer and never did quite nail it. I've avoided the song ever since but have great admiration for Lee and regularly listen to the song and marvel. I'm sure I could play it fine today but I'll simply let sleeping dogs lay.

..and speaking of covers,
    Prince did a great cover of the song "Stratus" here
    Rhonda Smith on Bass

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  17. mwbassace

mwbassace

Jul 26, 2010
    N.W. Ohio
    Several ones already mentioned I have done as well. Here's a few new ones I can add.
    Bloodletting & Joey by Concrete Blonde
    Hot Child in the City by Nick Gilder
    Lord of the Thighs by Aerosmith

18. Maidens - Vic Chesnutt
    Heaven - Talking Heads
    Cold Gin - Kiss
    Man out of Time - Elvis Costello
    Uncontrollable Urge - DEVO (drunk cowboy version)
    It's Only Life - The Feelies
    Cold Ground - East River Pipe
    Candy - Magnetic Fields
    My Life Is in Storage - Frank Black

HolmeBass and 10cc like this.
  19. LordRyan

LordRyan

Dec 9, 2012
    NJ
    One of my bands also in NJ does both those songs usually opening the night with Laid. For some strange reason we do Ob-La-Di in a medley with Cecilia and I Can See Clearly Now. I also play in an all-Beatles band and you are right we don't do Ob-La-Di.

nixdad likes this.
  20. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    I've done some real obscurities live. Top of the list has to be "Party" by Cindy Sanyu, which is a dancehall track from Uganda. We were actually asked to play it again in the next set, but that was because the guest singer's family was there celebrating her 18th birthday.

Also "How To Feel" by Rochelle Jordan - an alt-R&B singer from Canada. Looks like the most played version on Youtube is at 1033 views now, though I think there was an earlier one which got deleted which was probably in the tens of thousands. Messaged Rochelle Jordan on Facebook after we played it, and she was very happy and thankful.

Most obscure thing I've ever done a home-recorded cover of was probably "From The Stars" by New Zealand's GFrenzy. Can't even find it online anywhere, it was released on CD-R.

Which is funny considering I have very mainstream, pop tastes.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 8, 2021