1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

moving to a small apartment -practice amp recommendation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pbass888, Jan 15, 2012.

1. pbass888

pbass888 Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    New York, NY
    So Im moving to a tiny nyc apartment with a child,wife and dog. I was wondering if there are any recommendations for a small good sounding practice amp. My main gigging head is a LM II but in the last few months Ive been using my minimark amp for gigs which have been mostly jazz trios and duos.

Should I just use my minimark for practice? Im not a big fan of headphones while practicing and would like a decent sounding small amp at a reasonable price (say sub $150) and would definitely consider used. Looking at the plugging the ipod in and keeping the volume low.

Any one have any suggestions? I guess I have two questions, if you had the minimark is that the way to go? Or should I spring for one of the small ampeg (1x8) or mini fender practice amps?

Thank you in advance! Any help appreciated.

PS I was thinking something along this size type....
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/peavey-max-126-bass-practice-combo

2. I had a small fender rumble (30 watts I think) and it was horrible. Quick to fart out and the light that emanated from the port was kinda annoying to me. I would stick with the minimark if I had one.

3. pbass888

Jul 8, 2009
    New York, NY

Thank you. I have heard that about the rumbles from a few folks.

4. So you still have the minimark, right? Just use that one if it's still working. No sense spending more money when you have a functional small amp around.

5. ZanaZulu807

ZanaZulu807

Aug 6, 2007
    I use a 200 watt Nemesis combo or a Rogue 120 watt, I prop them both on chairs that sit on top of foam and I've had no issues; I play on really low volumes though.

Just make sure your amp doesn't let any bass travel or vibrate through the floors or walls and you should be okay. Don't go nuts and play at happy drunken jam levels like I do carelessly sometimes...:bassist:

6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    A small mixer and headphones ;)

7. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

Sep 27, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    I have a G-K Backline 110 that I really like. I lucked out and got it used on Craigslist for $75...I don't know what they usually go for, maybe double that? Anyway, if you can find one, you should get it...it's a good little amp!

8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Yes, just use your Minimark. If you did not have one already I would have suggested that amp to you! :)

I love mine, works great for gigs and for practice, why would you want/need anything smaller? :meh:

I use my Sennheiser HD280Pro headphones with it, occasionally, sounds great through them.

9. Mixer and headphones or studio monitors plus some sort of preamp seems like the only way to get good bass tone and clear reproduction of your ipod.

FWIW I use a little 45W Behringer and plug the iPod into that. It's enough. Obviously Behringer are not most people's first choice in tone :) , but I've never heard a tiny amp that sounds big.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm a firm believer in not spending money that you don't have to. Minimark is a fine little amp for practice and very small gigs. But I really do like those little Ampeg combos...I have a BA110 and a BA108, and the BA108 is my workhorse for the smallest little jazz gigs I do. Doesn't have a butt-ton of volume but it's enough to get myself in the mix with an amplified banjo, trumpet, and very light-playing drummer. If you have disposable income for it or plan to sell the Minimark, then I think they're totally worth a hundy. BA110's $80 more but gets louder if you need it and has a very similar tone. But really, the BA108 gets it done for me in those situations.

11. pbass888

Jul 8, 2009
    New York, NY

Sounds like my line of thinking. I want to thank all you guys who mentioned staying with what i have. I think i will. Thank you for all the input.

12. Anything with a headphone jack and an mp3/aux input, quite useful when burning the midnight oil.

13. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    THIS.

Seriously. I moved in with the GF and her daughter. Plus neighboring apartments. There was no way I was firing up a live amp of any size.

Instead, I got me a small $35 mixer and a really good set of $65 headphones.

it's really excellent for practice and learning material. I can combine mp3 playback through the mixer into it, too. Plus, I recently discovered that if I strung everything together a certain way, I could get the signal to my laptop and record myself into GarageBand. Bonus.

Best $100 I've spent in a while.

14. I have that amp.
    I've put it through hell and back during practicess nd it still goes strong.
    No issues what so ever. I guess I got a good one.:D

15. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    I love my Roland Bass Cube 30. New they can be a bit over your price range, but I snagged mine used in perfect condition for $125 shipped. Decent range of models, the FX are fun and occasionally useful, and in general it just sounds pretty damn good. I've got a portable rig to begin with (Walkabout Scout), but this thing is so convenient I wind up using it for most of my quieter jams or writing sessions since it's so light, and the build is really durable. Great piece of gear. With the Aux in, this doubles as my go-to synth amplifier as well.

16. Minimark! Couldn't live w/o mine...

17. jabsys

jabsys

Mar 30, 2011
    UK
    I've got a 15w Fender Rumble, no farting without going way past the volume you could use in an apartment.

18. Like others have said, stick to the minimark. Why dish out money for something you don't REALLY need?
    IMO however, the mixer + preamp + headphones set up is probably a good way to go if you are worried about upsetting the neighbors! Cheers

19. sokolasty

sokolasty

Dec 11, 2006
    Poland
    Basically, since you don't want headphones, and you already have a MimiMark, you might consider 110 cabinet, either commercial or DIY.

20. Hey, you could downsize and get a micro mark :D