1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MTD mod'd with PEAVEY pickups??????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vic, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Oh man, those are fairly nice pickups, but that's gotta' be the stupidest thing I've heard of in quite some time. Those custom Barts Mike uses are incredible.

view the messed up MTD on ebay

2. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    ***, its a USA MTD 435... I just assumed it had to be a Kingston or somethin, because noone in thier right mind would do that.

3. crkempton

crkempton

May 30, 2006
    Utah
    maybe he had a nicer bass he wanted the Barts for?..... :meh::eyebrow:

4. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    LOL!!!!!

5. Maybe the seller just prefers Super Ferrites to Barts. I don't, but apparently he does. Just saying...

6. contakt321

contakt321

Jul 31, 2006
    New York, NY
    It sure is funny, then again Super Ferrites are awesome P/Us. They sound great.

7. I noticed that too and felt exactly the same as you Vic. It's not a MTD 435 without the MTD Barts in my book.

8. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    Whenever I do something stupid, I usually keep the originals just in case I decide to sell. Of course, I have done alot stupider in my day. I bet it sounds killer though.

9. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Of course that could possibly be true, since this is a subjective matter, but at least I personally, being a multiple MTD owner, and having played and owned at least a couple Peavey basses with these pickups, couldn't imagine those SF pickups being able to do something Mike's couldn't with their range.

If it was me, I'd just use the EQ on the bass to get whatever sound and avoid putting new screw holes in bass like that.

Also, he doesn't mention the original pickups coming with the bass, so I wonder where those are.

At the end of the day, it's totally his bass, and he can do whatever the heck he wants with it, and it'll take whatever hit it'll take on resale for it, and if he's ok with that, then there's no problem of course.

It's just that it strikes me as something someone did just for the sake of tinkering, which usually has negative results all around.

10. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    I actually agree, but at least IMHO, they don't compare to Mike's custom barts at all.

11. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    ...zactly... :)

12. jazzy grille

jazzy grille - Arrogant Bastard Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Sarasota, Florida
    :eek:

13. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Cape Canaveral, FL
    yeah, i saw that yesterday.... :meh:

14. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    You know Vic, just because you didn't think of it first doesn't mean its a bad idea!

:smug:

15. Oh, I agree fully. Myself, I'd never want to defile one of Mike's U.S.A. masterpieces (I feel the same way about my Czech Grendel - no "improvements" needed at all). Absolutely blasphemous in my book seeing as Mr. Tobias churns out nothing but perfection on a steady basis. The seller could have at least included the Barts and perhaps a little wooden dowel for those nasty screw holes ;)

16. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Yeah. :) At least it doesn't have a figured top! :eek: :D

17. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    :D

18. I'm a big fan of not modding basses at all... if you don't like the MTD tone, get another bass.

That being said, I've known a number of players who love the look and playability of the MTD's, but just could never get past that very modern, active sound that the active Barts and stock pre give you. While I wince at anyone modding a bass like a Sadowsky, MTD, Alleva, etc. that have hardware that is literally designed to work together, I can understand those who say... man, I love the way this bass plays if I could just get more midrange and warmth into it.

Again.... I cringe at the thought, but I do understand why this person might have done this.

19. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Yeah, I'm clinging to the hope that it wasn't just for the sake of mod'ing something. Some people are like that.

That said tho, at the very LEAST I'd include the original pickups. Of course just because it's not part of the auction info doesn't mean he's not, but I'd assume he'd mention it (either way, actually). In fact, just out of curiosity, I sent him a message. :)

Thing is, I'd also definitely be all about getting a different bass than mod'ing something as special as an MTD, tho.

20. I'm rather confident a horror show like that would actually show up on ebay eventually :rolleyes: I think Mike should include a required contract with an "inspired knucklehead" clause with each bass.