multiple of the same bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kkaarrll, Sep 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    how many of you have multiples of the same bass?

I am thinking of getting 2 more l2500s and stringing them up with different types of strings so I would end up with a

flats l2500
    stainless roundwound l2500
    and a tape l2500

show us your pictures and experience with this kind of setup?

tell us if you gig them and if the backup is just that, or if you have multiples for different sounds/experiences

and for those with like 7 of the same.... tell us your purpose other than it is just cool and you have obviously found the one for you

also---if you have more than a pair with just flats/rounds or fretted/fretless, what speaks to you to pick one over another? the music you are playing? the band setting? practice? what?

very intrigued by this and your thoughts, as I am thinking of going all in on the l2500 train

(and maybe a fretted version of my carrigan oberon fretless 5)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    dcbassist5 likes this.
  2. FC Bass

FC Bass Alembic and Mesa/Boogie junkie

Jun 9, 2006
    Holland
    In a way all of my basses are very similar, two are same model with the same electronics:

223085.jpg

The Black Spoiler is tuned half step down and is the main bass for my 'tallica tribute.
    The other Spoiler is tuned ADGC (low) and I use it for two songs in the tallica tribute. (Sad but true and Whiskey in the jar)
    (those are the two almost identical basses on the right)
    The Elan 5 (far left) is tuned a half step down and used for songs that need a low B (sorry, A#) and some other songs played with a pick.
    I don't play finger style on this one because of the pickup config. (J/P/J) very uncomfortable thumb rests... :-( :)

I use the fretless and the Series I with my other (original) band in standard tuning, for huge gigs I take the Series I as backup/main in the 'tallica tribute.

3. Got 3 Furys set up with rounds and flats
    3 Furies.jpg

And 4 Foundations the same only 2 have the Super Ferrite pickups and 2 the soapbars. 4 Foundations.jpg

Afraid I don't have a group photo of my T-40s but they follow the same flats and rounds routine :thumbsup:

4. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    Four Peavey G-V basses. I really like them. Admitedly, one is a hybrid, gv neck/millenium body and pickups. Still.

5. My #2 is usually a fairly close duplicate of my #1 because it's whole purpose is as a backup for a gig emergency. And if I'm onstage dealing with an emergency, the last thing I need is matching up output gain or adjusting to a different scale length or a different place to put my thumb or whatever.....I just wanna strap it on and not think about it.

6. LowEndOperative

LowEndOperative ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Michigan
    I had at one time two identical Yamaha RBX765A units in transparent green.

trothwell likes this.
  7. TDR1138

TDR1138

Apr 11, 2007
    SoCal
    I've got a pair of L-2000s. They're a bit different, though. One is 80s with the OMG caps, the other is newer and without the caps.
    Either way, I like L2ks and these are just different flavors of the same basic thing.

pjbassist likes this.
  8. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    I have 2 Carvin LB76s, one fretted and one fretless.
    I'm about to have 2 P type basses, but they will differ in pickups and strings (Novak and Flats on one, Rotosounds and Quarter Pounder on the other).

To each his own, but personally, I'd want a little more difference than just string type. But I also have a finite number of basses. If I had more money, I'd probably have 8 J basses, just to get multiple colors.

Sub-hoo-fer likes this.
  9. Bflat

Bflat

Feb 5, 2008
    DSCN0546.JPG Does 8 1951 Precision basses count????

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    lazycat93, Baa, trothwell and 14 others like this.
  10. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    I have lots of multiples.

Name the model. If I love it and the price is right, I usually get more than one.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    kkaarrll, Relsom and Pet Sounds like this.
  11. stigbeve

stigbeve

Sep 24, 2014
    I have 2 old GSR200's in blue. One standard tuning with 6 year old round wounds and the other in C# STD tuning

12. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    I have a lot basses, but no two are alike. Which begs the question why am I posting here? Never mind.

2Bellz, Dragan, mngnt and 5 others like this.
  13. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    I don't think a geddy Lee and an American standard jazz count as the same, different pickups, pickup spacing, bridge/stringing style, and completely different neck profile. But both from 1998.

But I have 2 Warwick fna5s, though they sound and feel different, one has ovangkol neck and jumbo frets, the other has wenge neck and thinner frets and a thinner neck profile. The ovangkol one has more percussive snap. Not 100% sure the pickup is wound the same, but both are the mec, with slightly different cover. 2000 vs 98.

So I guess technically neither of these are the "same bass" but the Warwicks are at least the same model

kkaarrll likes this.
  14. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I have six Precisions, all different parts basses, all strung differently.

15. wilder

wilder

Apr 21, 2004
    Denton, TX.
    I have two PBs set up identically with different neck woods. Same pickup, same flatwound strings, etc. I think of them as primary and backup. I have a third P with rounds. I have a 4th P that's a beater I leave at the practice space in case I don't have time to stop by home and pick up my gear on a particular day. So yeah...I guess I do. :)

16. dcbassist5

dcbassist5 Supporting Member

May 11, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown, Lakland
    I have 4 Fender Jazz basses

17. BassWaffle

BassWaffle

Apr 10, 2011
    DC/Maryland
    I have two Peavey T-40s, I slapped a mighty mite fretless neck on one of them. Safe to say they're pretty different sounding

BlueAliceOasis likes this.
  18. barginkov

barginkov

Feb 1, 2012
    L.I. New York
    Id 20160903_112458.jpg 20160903_112458.jpg
    Same pic twice .I used to have many different basses, but I only enjoyed playing these , so I sold everything else and played only what I really enjoyed , they are all little different in their own way

19. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

kapok two basses.jpg

two passive pj setups, slightly different hardware, but otherwise the same. same neck! i usually use these for gigs.

20. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    Texas
    All rounds so far. There are a few of these here:
    Pair.JPG

Multiples of other brands/styles but no pics on this work PC(it's after 5 CST, firewall is down).

Attached Files:

CPplaysBASS and kkaarrll like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021