1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Musicman Sabre Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Jul 9, 2014.

Tags:
  1. sonicyogi

sonicyogi Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2005
    NYC
    You can add me. Pic attached.

Attached Files:

handofseven likes this.
  2. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Weirdest looking headstock tuner I’ve ever seen.

You and/or your cat are now #66

handofseven likes this.
  3. handofseven

handofseven Soaking up the cathode rays...

Mar 23, 2010
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Nice one. LOL!

4. Gentlemen of the Sabre Club... I had a nice original one back in the early ‘80’s- Sunburst and maple... I couldn’t afford to replace it with the vintage prices these days.... But now I see the modern remakes are more affordable. Are they US-built? Thanks...

5. Yes. All EBMM are US built. SBMMs are built in Asia. Names are quite confusing but the Sabre is EBMM only.

6. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I guess it is best said that they were US-built. They have been discontinued. If you are ready, willing and able to purchase, there is at least one up for sale in TB Classified. I have no affiliation with the seller.

Sunburst and maple was always one of my favorite finish options. My ‘79 is S&M.

7. Thanks. Yours looks just like the one I had 35 years ago. If I do get one of the newer ones, it would have to be this combination...

8. Opresqu

Opresqu

Apr 11, 2018
    Hello fellow Talkbassists!
    First of all, i want to say that i did my research on google and talkbass, but could not find the information that i am requesting from you guys.
    Since this is a Sabre club, i thought that its the best place to help me out with my problem.
    Found an ad in my homecountry, about a guy selling a quoting:
    "Ernie Ball Music Man Sabre II 1979"
    Here are the pics:
    d164086804ee1ec83e6fe69c8c5b2aa6. aaafa5b99298ca0c2816961a9d07387d (1). 110c7260c8d9fb3ed9135128ba3c0c1f.

My question: How legit is this bass anyway? I did not find a bass similar to this one, i did not see it yet, going tomorrow to meet the guy. Is this a fake Sabre? THANKS!
    P.S. Sorry if i posted this one here and should have posted in some other thread

9. 4stringsjack

4stringsjack Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    US
    Totally fake- body, neck, pickups, decals, no battery compartment, and more... Fake fake fake.

10. Hahem no battery cover ? A passive Sabre ? Plus the "SR" letters on the headstock (Stingray ? Not to mention the imitation of the musician logo) Plus body shape, plus pick guard shape, plus metal control plate shape plus neck shape, etc... that's a lot of errors.
    A link in french but with good pics :
    Musicman Sabre Pré-Ernie ball 1979

handofseven likes this.
  11. handofseven

Mar 23, 2010
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Someone went to a lot of trouble to fake a Sabre. WOW!

bdgotoh likes this.
  12. Not enough trouble given the poor result... It's like the game of 7 errors with 10x too many errors...

13. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    The Midwest of USA
    This should be forwarded to EBMM to state that there is such a demand for the real thing that they are now faking them (and to bring the real thing back....permanently!).

handofseven likes this.
  14. What's so funny about it is that it looks like a mutt between a EB classic and a pre EB with an SR shape. Totally nuts.

handofseven likes this.
  15. handofseven

Mar 23, 2010
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Enough to fool anyone who doesn't think to ask people in the know. At first glance, without any scrutiny, I was only set off by the size of the control plate. LOL. I want a closer look at the stamp on the bridge...

16. Opresqu

Opresqu

Apr 11, 2018
    Wow, wasnt expecting so much feedback. Thanks alot fellas!
    The seller stated that he doesnt know the history of this instrument (ye rite). Asks 300 euro for this instrument, i googled this instrument and saw that they go for much more than that. Too bad tbh, it looks good. The one piece ash and birdseye maple neck almost made me meet the guy and check it out.
    Thanks alot guys, hope one day ill be a member here with the real deal!

17. Thump C

Thump C

Dec 20, 2016
    I have yet to find a 1978 Music Man Sabre bass that has a date stamp of 1978 on the body or neck? Do you have any pictures of your body and neck Date stamps?

bdgotoh likes this.
  18. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City

Doh! After I attached the photos I remembered that it’s a ‘79. My SR is the ‘78

19. Papz

Papz

Mar 10, 2018
    Belgium
    tech and musician
    Well it just comes back from the luthier for check up, new frets and a full set up, so I'm not keen to dismantle it right now...

20. turbo2256b

turbo2256b

Jan 4, 2011
    found a fretless saber thinking about pulling the trigger on it. have one of the first sting rays purchased new a couple weeks later went back and they had a saber All ways wanted one after that

raal and handofseven like this.