1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Musicman Sabre Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Jul 9, 2014.

Tags:
  1. turbo2256b

turbo2256b

Jan 4, 2011
    JUST played around with the "do nothing switch" it did change but very little took quite a bit of switching it back and forth to be sure it did something. not sure what its function is

2. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    The Midwest of USA
    This "Do Nothing Switch" reminds me of Lee Sklar's "Producer Switch": a pot on his bass that was hooked up to nothing that Lee would mess with when asked by the producer to modify his sound.

audreycashin and Pet Sounds like this.
  3. Just personal experience here ...

that white switch gives slap tone that additional sheen or sparkle top which the stingray is lacking.

Admittedly it is always in the off position on the fretless. So yes its usefulness is highly dependent on wood combination and musical context

Again just personal experience

4. Thump C

Thump C

Dec 20, 2016
    That is the "Phase Reversal Switch" It allows both in phase or out-of-phase pickup connections!

5. Marc DLarosa

Marc DLarosa Supporting Member

May 29, 2017
    The "turd" on the left... :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: Nothing against Stingrays (honest). But... I've NEVER played one that had compelled Me to purchase one, since I own the GREATEST Sabre on the planet!!! :hyper::hyper::hyper:

6. Marc DLarosa

May 29, 2017
    Anyhow... here's My little story...
    In 1988 (the heyday of Glam music, and pointy guitars, in L.A. [UGH!!!]), I was lucky enough to KNOW what this was, and, not be looped into that sad era, even though, well... it was fun to grow My hair, and "play in their world" for a bit. Anyhow... back to the "story."
    I was able to purchase a '79 Sabre, for 200 bucks!!! The bad part? It was painted PINK, and had an '80 Stingray neck on it. Oh well, right? I actually gigged it, PINK!!! A year later, I could no longer stand it, and had it sent out to be painted. A friend of a friend, of a friend, had a cousin, who had an uncle, who was married to his sisters niece, or something like that, did a really cool Greenburst, Poly, paintjob on it for Me, in trade for... well, you don't gotta know. But, it was the "80's. His name, I'll never forget was Louie, and would basically only paint Chevy's. I think that He "killed it", on My bass!!!
    Fast forward 30 years, to TALKBASS. I posted a picture of said Sabreray, and a very cool member, offered Me a 1980, Sabre neck, for PEANUTS!!! It was a lil ABUSED, as far as the LOGO went. But... the frets, fretboard, were PRISTINE!!! The truss rod worked perfectly. Aaaaaaaaand... I was able to get a "NOS" Sabre watermark (not aftermarket), from a friend, who once worked for Music Man, YEEEEEAAAAAAARRRRS AGO!!! Eric did an AMAZING job, of applying it, aging the headstock to match the fretboard, and setting Her up. Sometimes things line up. Be patient.

So, without further ado, here She is. My#1, My BABY. I own over 100 basses. NOTHING will EVER come close. Trust Me...

Pictures are in no specific order. I'm no good at this interweb thing... Sorry, I'm kinda old...

Soooooooooo... Hey, #Rebopmass, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

P.S.
    Yeah... that's a Spitfire sticker on the upper horn. My Daughter put it on there, around 17 years ago. I'll never remove it... LOL

20180306_191743. 20180306_194212 (1). 20180306_194234. 20180307_202419. 20180421_124536. 20180509_162413. 20180509_162419. 20180520_221210.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    Selios, muggsy, handofseven and 3 others like this.
  7. Blackdots

Blackdots

Jun 13, 2018
    Was lurking this thread, figured I'd join in with my 79'. This thing kills.

Attached Files:

8. GBalitsky

GBalitsky Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Russia, Rostov-on-Don
    At last I considered not to sell my '79. Though it was refretted 4 months ago, I can't get quite low string action on it... But nothing can challenge it's thunderous sound) Instead of it I sold my MIA Fender Jazz Bass'83.

9. handofseven

handofseven Soaking up the cathode rays...

Mar 23, 2010
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    You made the right choice, my friend. ;)

Marc DLarosa likes this.
  10. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Marc DLarosa, you are number #69 and Blackdots you are #70. Welcome to Club Sabre!!

11. Marc DLarosa

May 29, 2017
    LOL!!!
    You have no IDEA how IRONIC that is, but... Thank YOU!!!

Sabres RULE!!!

12. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    ....and there’s a good chance that forum rules would prevent you from telling us. :nailbiting:

13. Marc DLarosa

May 29, 2017
    It's not what you're thinking.
    Which makes it even funnier.

But...
    I'm just happy to have found Company for My BABY.

Have a great day, Y'all!!!

handofseven likes this.
  14. muggsy

muggsy

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    That is the prettiest Sabre I've ever seen, and a great story.

Marc DLarosa likes this.
  15. Marc DLarosa

May 29, 2017
    Hey Muggsy, thanks!!! I kinda like the way that She turned out, also.
    In reality, I'd never alter an original instrument. But... since She was already painted, I figured... "what the heck", may as well make Her MINE!!!
    I'm going through the same thing, as we speak, with a '72 Telecaster bass that someone SPRAY PAINTED black, with a can of some kind of paint. I'm sure that this guy's Father is rolling in His grave. This bass is also gonna be green, in about 5 weeks...

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    muggsy and handofseven like this.
  16. Marc DLarosa

May 29, 2017
    Most likely... the second greatest bass on the PLANET!!! :hyper:

17. Chrome Dome

Chrome Dome Chrome Dome Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2013
    Piqua,Ohio 45356
    IMG_0940.JPG IMG_0941.JPG IMG_0942.JPG IMG_0943.JPG Morning,malthumb,or anyone that wants to comment?Saw a decent trans teal Sabre for sale,and couldn't pass it up? Advertised as 1987,or 1988? So it is on its way to me,as I type. Noticed on the back of the head stock,no made in San Luis Obispo? My club member was #23 once before. Anyone know why it didn't have the made in SLO,on back of head stock?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  18. FenderOli

FenderOli

Jun 6, 2014
    Germany
    Looks all legit.
    Yours has the "transistion" logo (like an pre-ernie, but with the addition ernie ball lettering). No SLO is also correct.

They switched in late '87/early '88 to the all black logo with the "Made in SLO" at the backside (like that):
    download.
    Yours looks like an very early Ernie Ball Sabre.

malthumb, handofseven and Chrome Dome like this.
  19. Chrome Dome

Chrome Dome Chrome Dome Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2013
    Piqua,Ohio 45356
    Thanks,FenderOli,appreciate your help. I talked to Billie,at EBMM,and he said there was a transistion around 84 to 88,there abouts.

FenderOli likes this.
  20. FenderOli

FenderOli

Jun 6, 2014
    Germany
    Yep, with the 3-band I guess its from 1987.

malthumb and Chrome Dome like this.