1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My bass weighs a ton..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mcglyph, Jul 12, 2014.

1. mcglyph

mcglyph

Aug 17, 2011
  2. sears

sears Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2005
    ec, md
    Work on your abs and back so you don't end up leaning forward looking down at your instrument. Your posture is incredibly important. Practice standing up.

3. Chad T

Chad T

Feb 10, 2013
    Indiana
    What is its actual weight? Have you tried different straps? I really like the Neotech Mega Ax straps.

4. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Work on your core body strength first.
    Build up your trapezoids too.

5. Pachap

Pachap

Jun 21, 2014
    Savannahstan, GA
    Just pretend it's a drunk fat chick that you are carrying upstairs after a party.

Splods, fretlessguy, Remyd and 6 others like this.
  6. CoR Bass

CoR Bass

Apr 2, 2014
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Basses, Ashdown Amplifiers, Morley Pedals
    I use the Neotech. Awesome strap. I don't have any issues and I'm a weakling.

skychief and nicopiano like this.
  7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Buy a nice strap. It'll still be heavy-as-hell but at least you'll own a decent strap.

Riis

skychief likes this.
  8. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    I use a 4 1/2" thickly padded Levy's Leathers strap and that does the trick for me. Stopped trying to find ultra light basses that sounded great.

skychief likes this.
  9. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Brilliant!

10. vmabus

vmabus

Nov 1, 2013
    7200'
    886634_10200821261076353_588127540_o. Like this one?

11. gpx1200

gpx1200

Apr 24, 2013
    spencer mass
    I bet that thing sounds freakin incredible

12. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Time to put on my "20-Year Veteran Massage/Sports/Neuromuscular Therapist" Hat. Both of these are excellent tidbits of advice, but allow me to elaborate further;

Many, with sears being an obvious exception, think the key to good posture is all in the back. This is only half true. The abdominals, and I mean all of them…from the sternum all the way down to the pubic bone, are incredibly important in this equation. If your abs are weak one or both of these will happen; your lower-to-mid back will be working even harder to hold you upright and/or you'll start developing the classic "old man slouch". So, doing a mix of strengthening exercises for the ERECTOR SPINAE GROUP and the LOWER AND UPPER ABDOMINALS are important. It would also serve you well to work the QUADRATUS LUMBORUM and the OBLIQUES into the mix.

Now, on to the upper body. The TRAPEZOIDS are important, but it is equally, if not more so, important to strengthen the RHOMBOIDS and the LEVATOR SCAPULA muscles. Both are anchored to the shoulder blades (scapula) with the former traveling to the spine and the latter attaching to the middle of the neck. To clarify a little more…whenever someone comes to me saying, "My traps are soooooo tight and sore!", what they are usually feeling is tension and/or pain in the Levators. With the weight of a bass, especially a heavy one, crushing down and shifting around on your right shoulder and upper back, you need the scapula to be able to move/elevate/twist around to facilitate better motion of the right arm. (I am assuming correctly you play right-handed, yes?)

A little bit of strengthening of the ROTATOR CUFF (INFRASPINATUS, SUPERSPINATUS, SUBSCAPULARIS & TERES MINOR) may not be a bad idea, given that they form the other half of the scapular muscles, but go easy on them. The last thing anyone needs to do is to get a torn rotator cuff muscle. Even with only a partial tear, it's the kind of injury that can haunt someone for the rest of their life. Light weight only!

If you, or anyone for that matter, has more questions, please fire away. I live, but to serve. If it's something that is a little more personal or sensitive, feel free to send me a PM. I wouldn't have lasted long in this business if I wasn't discreet. ;)

McGlyph, good luck finding something that works so you can easily and comfortably keep at that lovely bass of yours! :thumbsup:

13. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Wow…that's about as funny as a botched vasectomy. :thumbsdown:

I just love how "fat people" are the last, safe minority to mock openly and publicly.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
    DwaynieAD and Thick McRunfast like this.
  14. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Please omit "fat chick" as it is rude, crude, and socially unacceptable. However, feel free to substitute "prom queen" as even I could find the strength and determination for that project.

On a more serious note: contact TBer "lomo". He routinely installs some sort of bass belt which better distributes the weight. Never seen the actual device but it requires the addition of a flushmount receiver (a la Dunlop) on the lower aspect of the bass, usually directly below where a neck pickup would be located. Check his older FS threads for pics.

Riis

Malak the Mad likes this.
  15. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Lots of great advice- some in more detail, but basically abs and back, but balanced by the rest.
    Or, be 'socially correct' and "Just pretend it's a drunk SKINNY chick that you are carrying DOWNSTAIRS after a party.", and you won't get the idea...
    Could be there's a 'correctness' thing about carrying drunk chicks, too, tho.

16. mysteryclock

mysteryclock Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    No matter what exercise regime you choose, don't forget one thing...

Stretch - slowly, gently - before you play. Even if you have awesome core / shoulder strength if your muscles are tight you will still be uncomfortable and probably won't play as well as a result.

Good luck! That bass is a real beauty!

sj_bass and Malak the Mad like this.
  17. I started using a Comfort StrappTM at the beginning of this month -- it has proved itself in distributing weight over the entirety of the strap when I'm wearing it.

I play a 6-string custom as well for information. Once again, totally elated with the Comfort StrappTM

gebass6 likes this.
  18. Excellent!

I may have to use this pic in the future, sorry!

19. What makes you think fatties are a minority? Everywhere I go, I see obesity. I could almost agree with that Nazi Bloomberg about the 16 oz soft drinks!

20. Wow, beautiful bass.

Seriously tho, if you're looking for "exercises" to do, in order to be able to handle the weight, maybe it's time to move on?

BassHappy likes this.