Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My DP Pushic Custom fiasco........

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 4string4ever, Sep 25, 2005.

1. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Ok, so I ordered a DP Custom in December 2003. Took almost a year and a half, and the original quote was between 36 and 40 weeks. I send my own design and requested a spalted figured maple for the top, with layers of purple heart, maple, and ash in the center. When I finally got the bass, I was quite dismayed to find first of all that the poly finish I requested was horribly uneven and blotchy, to which Dave replied "That's how it comes out on that particular wood". Knowing that, I think he should have cautioned me beforehand and suggested against the poly, or to use a different topwood. Also, the layers in the body were of quite different thicknesses around the perimeter of the body, like they were sanded to heavily in some spots. The wings were crooked against the neck through, the headstock was lopsided (it was supposed to be an arrowhead shape), the holes for the tuning keys weren't the same distances from the edge of the headstock by a large margin, and the middle piece of the 3 piece neck was not centered. Over all, a quite crappy piece of work.

I sent it back insisting on a redo, which he did. I offered to allow him to use his own designs, and to go without the body lams, all in order to have a better chance of a quality build.

A couple of months later, the bass arrives. Using the same nut from the original that was 1 9/16" wide, the friggin' neck was 1 3/4" wide with filler in the gaps!! I couldn't believe it!!

He had the bass picked up to fix this, and then when it arrived for the third time, I discovered that there now is more bend in the neck on the low side than on the high side. The low side shows some relief and the high side is straight. The more relief I apply, the worse it looks. He says it is fine, and will actually be better for the intonation and resonance of the lower register.

I have been dismayed by the negativity I've seen here about Dave since he's been a pretty standup guy thusfar, but I can no longer stand idly by. He now refuses do do any further work on my bass. I have contacted the BBB, and will also contact legal counsel if necessary.

A note to anyone considering purchasing a DP Custom;

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!

2. All I can say is, that's nuts. Any pics of this stuff?

3. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    I have pics of the original, but can't make them big enough here. Couldn't get a good shot down the length of the neck. If you wanna see em, I can email to you if you like.

4. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    You know.....From all the Horror stories I've read/heard about DP, you think this guy would have no business.

I don't understand why people keep giving him their money and getting crap in return.

Rob

5. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Some people don't seem to believe that you get what pay for.

Does anyone actually believe that they can get a top grade fully custom instrument for the price of an average factory made instrument?

There's a reason custom instruments cost a lot. There's a reason DP customs dont.

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Seems like every DP story is the same... "I hear bad things, but I'm sure if I give him time, and I don't push him, mine will come out fine!" and then, later "This is a pile of crap. However, Dave said he'd make it right." Then, "Dave said he made it right, but it's still crap."

Then, from the peanut gallery "Wow, I'm sorry your DP sucked. I hear bad things, but I'm sure if I give him time, and don't push him, mine will come out fine!" and then, later...

When are people gonna learn?

People, I said it before: it's not that the stray bad instrument gets out, it's that the stray good instrument gets out.

7. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Terrible story, I hope you'll somehow be able to get your money refunded. I've never looked at Pushic's website, but now I'm curious. The guy sounds like a real flake. :spit:

8. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    sigh
    I dont know what to do. I ordered one. I mean, hes given me tons of assurance and whenever I question him about the build quality, he gets offended. I just dont know what to do.

9. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Cool......would you mind? Thanks

10. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I don't think I've ever heard the stories where a stray good one got out... ;)

Maybe if I pay him a bit extra and tell him to take his time mine will be great... If not I'm sure he will fix anything that's not up to Fodera's benchmark. :p

11. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Talkbass: Newsflash!!!

People have tons of problem's with Pushic's basses. Why do you keep ordering them?

12. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Just wondering, what does a DP cost?

I'm just very interested to how much cheaper they are then other custom builders. I'm not wanting to get involved with the issues people have, just asking a question. I know Benavente, Nordstrand just to name a couple have models starting under 2k. I'm sure Yancy, CB and other's have to be somewhere around there as well with starting models.

Thanks
    Brian

13. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Base price on a 4 string is $700.

I know Chris Stambaugh's base price for a 4 string is double that, around $1400, but there's no comparison in build, and at $1400 Chris is overlapping the lower mid range of mass produced instruments like Carvin and such.

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    His prices have gone up. Back in 2001, $650 was the price of a 6er.

15. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Thats pretty cheap, so it really is you get what you pay for. Not ever holding a DP I can't say anything other then what I have heard. But its priced in the range with Used MM, US Fender's, Used Carvin's, Used Peavey's, etc... So I guess its a matter if it falls with-in those quality level instruments or less but that the custom factor weighs it out...

Sorry to hear about the problems, best of luck.

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, it's like this: Back in '03 at the Atlanta get together, bassmonkeee was playing a Wish bass, and we were talking about Jeff Rader's burl DP 6er...bassmonkeee had played it at a local music store, and said he preferred the Wish.

17. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Whenever I hear someone selling something use the word resonance I stop them until they can tell me what it means and how it applies to this situation.

Sorry about your bass.

18. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I played that 6 as well. The Wish was Foderalike compared to that thing. I remember one luthier thought about buying it to show his students what not to do, but GC wanted too much for it. It sux that people give Dave a chance after reading the horror stories. They go in educated, patient, and accomidating, and still they end up on the business end of the condom!

19. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001

I can't breath, I can't breath..... :help: That was way to funny.... ;)

20. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i had too, but i would have to say that i preferred the dp to the wish. by a sizeable margin too. the wish was just unplayable. the dp was sorta ragged.