My MTD 535 :)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Been messing around doing some recording, and edited a piece down small enough to post here. It surprisingly has a great slap tone.....sounds similar to a Ken Smith to my ears.

EQ is flat with exception to the highs are slightly cut, blend leans a bit towards the bridge side. Plugged directly into my cheap Dell factory installed souncard, via a $3 radio shack cable. Recorded using Acid Pro 4.0

I really like this tone!

Any comments?
  2. si_mon13

Sep 1, 2003
    The tone is pretty decent, sounds like those sound samples that comes with every "learn how to slap"-book.
  3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Hey, THANKS! Let me know when you release your own "how to" book so I can pick up some new licks.

Or are you saying you feel like I should be showing you how to do it? :) :rolleyes:
  4. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Lovely tone. Tasteful playing. *Thumbs up* :)
  5. si_mon13

Sep 1, 2003
    it just sounded similar nothing more to it ;)

6. whoa horsey, calm down! hes just saying it sounds like typical slap licks that would be in those books, and guess what HE'S RIGHT :spit:

7. Sounds good Tim! Nice playing too man. I want an MTD now :meh: Thanks for making me want something that's too expensive:spit:
  8. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    he got a killer deal on it, tyler ;)

cool, tim...i dig the tone. :bassist:
  9. How much was this "killer" deal if you don't mind telling me ;)
  10. Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    nice clip. But a bit too "dry" sounding for my taste. I prefer a fat sound when it comes to slapping... on my 535 I tend to favor the neck pickup.
  11. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Yes, they are pretty basic licks, but still fun none the less. I'm actually working on puting together a cd collection of loops for Acid pro where this came from. For the record, none of this has been lifted from a book.....maybe I should write it though, since it is in such an apparent demand. ;)
  12. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Yes, as stated, this is run dry, basically flat.....for the reason of the loops cd I am making. Allows the user to dial in their own preference using their programs own EQ.
  13. cocky are we? :D

anyways, i like the slap tone, imo it could be a little louder but for your purposes i guess it works fine :)
  14. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    No, not at all, it was said tongue-in-cheek in response to apparent critisizm......I really didn't think my playing was going to offend anyone.
  15. Well, I for one am highly offended:spit:

Okay, that's just because you're better than me and have nicer gear.:D :bag: :bag:
  16. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I'm offended as well, particularly by that quote in your sig file!

17. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Very nice stuff there. I like the dryness of the tone, and for the reasons you've stated. Someone could take the loop and tubify it etc. to their liking. Nice and tight with the funky drums!
  18. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Thanks guys, fingerstyle grooving is my main forte', I am actually quite-the supporting-player in all the bands I have played in.

The whole slap/funk this is mainly just my hobby-bedroom playing. I don't ever really get to use it, just kind of fun, and a challenge from time to time. It's not what I would consider really tasteful playing, it's more along the lines of wanking......but it's fun. (That's what this whole thing is about fellas!)
  19. Ditto on that one!

Rock on Tim! :bassist:
  20. RawBassist

Sep 1, 2002
    dude, killer tone! I was thinkin about gettin an MTD sometime. I wish i could get that tone out of my basses. New strings might help.... I wonder what kind of tone that would get recording thru Sonar. I've got it and I think it'd be killer! Sweet lick too, its catchy!