My new bass! ...isn't it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Val K., Jan 7, 2016.

1. Val K.

Val K.

Jan 1, 2016
    Belfast
    TL;DR: I purchased a brand new and unopened bass, but it looks like a good floor model to me. Have a look at the pictures and tell me your opinion.

Finally, my new Fender MIA Jazz Deluxe arrived! I was so thrilled, the first brand new bass of my life! Then I opened the case and my excitement slightly faded away, but let me explain first a few things.

Before typing the magic 16 digits of my credit card and spend ~1700€ for it, I sent an email to the store (one of the biggest musical shop in Europe, based in Germany) asking if the basses for sale are the ones used in the showroom or completely brand new. They answered saying that the basses are all brand new, never opened, and that if they are used in the showroom or just displayed, they are sold as b-stock (floor models) with a small discount. With all the merriment and trust in this world, I finally squeezed the wallet.

When I opened the case, I was surprised of the many tiny little scratches on the pickguard covering plastic foil, minuscule scratches all over a not-so-shiny body and the neck. That wasn't expected to me!

Now, I know that I could be a little bit paranoid and if I would have bought the bass in the store I wouldn't have blinked an eye for a bass in this minty condition, but still... what they sold me was different! Or at least this is the opinion of someone who never bought a brand new bass :)

So here we have the pictures:

IMG_04.JPG IMG_02.JPG IMG_05.JPG IMG_03.JPG IMG_01.JPG

What I am asking is: is this normal because the bass is man-assembled? Shouldn't they look as... brand new?

Also, the cardboard covering the case was opened before and I am sure there was no QC by this shop because, even if they advertise it as one of their selling points, they sent me an email saying that they couldn't check the bass... and I explicitly asked for a check and they told me it was due before the shipment, so you can see how much I am disappointed! Also, they rely on cheap couriers outside Germany, the parcel containing other stuff that I bought together with the bass is stuck somewhere in England :(

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  2. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    That was definitely a floor model. It's been on a stand that caused the marks on the body. If you paid full price, I would send it back and get a refund.

3. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    That ain't new!
    It's definitely been played a bit, I'd ask either for a guaranteed untouched replacement bass or a discount.

Winterglo, REMBO, gebass6 and 3 others like this.
  4. Val K.

Val K.

Jan 1, 2016
    Belfast
    Yes, I paid full price. However, did you ever buy a brand new american fender? I mean, I think that you are right, I just want to be sure that if I return the bass, is for the right reason. It's just a matter of principle, at this point.

5. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Yes. I have purchased a brand new American Fender more than once, and they didn't have a scratch on them. A new bass with marks like that one should cost less than new as it was a floor model.

6. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    Send the pictures to your retailer and ask for a real new in the box replacement or a refund or a discount.
    I bought one that was a floor model a few years ago at GC, and got it for 50% of the new price because of the scratches.

7. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    my new Fender was delivered spotless in an unopened Fender box that was in an exterior package.
    get a refund because they lied and for that reason only. i wouldn't even want a discount unless it was a very generous one. i personally hate when stores claim the box was opened for an inspection. the final inspection should happen during QC at the factory.
    if i pay full price, i want to be the first to play it! gl :)

Gabbs, BEADG63, mikeyjm2 and 4 others like this.
  8. frostyone

frostyone Rambler

Jan 3, 2016
    Georgia
    The pick guard appears to have the protective film on it, which is scratched up but should look good underneath when removed. The "body rash" says the bass was mishandled and/or not NIB. Leave all the film on if you want a refund.
    Good luck!

Treadstone71 likes this.
  9. Skokiaan

Skokiaan

Jun 19, 2004
    New Jersey
    I would never want an instrument that was simply passed from the factory through a store to me.

My friend owns a guitar/bass shop. He inspects and test everything he sells as soon as it arrives from the factory. He does want to pass factory defects or damaged items on to his customers. He also sets up instruments before they are offered for sale, as not everything arrives in playable condition. For good reason, there is no such thing as an "unopened box."

10. Val K.

Val K.

Jan 1, 2016
    Belfast
    I know, as I said if they would just have told me that the bass was a floor model, I would have asked for a better price or just chosen a different solution. They simply lied to me and I lost all my trust in this shop. However yes, I left all the films on in case of a refund.

Yes, there was the Fender cardboard but it was resealed. You're right, if they offer me a refund, better be a big one...

pacojas likes this.
  11. Val K.

Val K.

Jan 1, 2016
    Belfast
    The problem is that they sent me an email saying that they couldn't check the bass, so there was no QC or inspection or setup. And they said that the bass was brand new.
    This is a floor model or some returned bass, so apparently this has nothing to do with the good practice of your friend... And it has little scratches too. I just didn't expect this behaviour from such a big store.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
    mikeyjm2 and pacojas like this.
  12. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    Are from Germany and if so, are too far from the store to just go there with the bass and show them what they sent you instead of playing the email game? Just asking...

13. Val K.

Val K.

Jan 1, 2016
    Belfast
    I really would like to, but I live in the UK so it is too far away.

By the way, has anyone had a similar experience with this shop? Anyone from Europe in this forum? :D

14. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    Let me offer an alternative...First of all, how is the bass? Does it play good? Does it sound good? Other than the marks, is it a bass that you would keep? If so, remember it is a tool. Something that is going to get used and maybe even dinged up a bit. If it is everything you've dreamed of, that is something to consider. That being said, I would probably ask for a bit of a price break and hope for the best. A bird in the hand, as they say.

15. JackANSI

JackANSI

Sep 12, 2006
    PA
    That film over the plastic bits scratches very easily and is meant to be removed. It's there to take the "before purchase punishment" so you get a spotless piece of plastic to mar up yourself. The scratches on the body are completely unacceptable and indicative of use (either a return or a demo), there is no valid excuse for those on a "new" bass.

I think they told you they couldn't do their "normal inspection" just so they could blame you or the shipper for the damage they knew to be on the bass.

...but I'm a huge cynic, fwiw.

16. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I wouldn't sweat the plastic foil as much as the body rubs. I'd also like to add that I am OCD. And I'd also like to add that peeling plastic off of new stuff is one of my favorite things in the world.

17. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I hate it and I love it, it's maddening, I have to get rid of it! Ewwww! :D:D

Bodeanly likes this.
  18. My jet King was ⅓ of normal price due to being the last floor model, discoloured scratch plate and all is part of what attracted me, anarchist that I am. But the price helped.

19. Can't really help I'm afraid. Yes, I'm from the UK, yes I bought a bass from the same company you did, and yes it was in perfect condition.

20. Val K.

Val K.

Jan 1, 2016
    Belfast
    As I said, if they were clear about the bass I could still have bought it, but they just lied. If I wanted a floor model, I would have just bought it in a bricks-and-mortar shop... Also, this could be a returned bass and have some problems that I am not able to see right now. It IS everything that I could dream of, but I can have it for a lesser price or in mint conditions!

Yes, I think that too, that's why I don't trust them anymore. They had 2 or 3 days before the shipping to inspect the bass, so when they said "we didn't have the time to inspect it" (even without saying "sorry" first) I suspected something strange... but I am cynic and suspicious by nature :)

brendanbassix likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 28, 2022