1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My new Sadowsky M5-24

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass Viking, Sep 3, 2008.

1. While in Florida a few weeks ago, I stopped by Bass Central and tried out some high end basses. My favourite was the Sadowsky M5-24. I had it shipped home and received it yesterday. It's amazing! I can see why so many of you love them. By the way, this is the only Sadowsky I've ever played.

It has a very high build quality. The finish on the body is beautiful and glassy. It looks like some kind of cherry candy, a little deeper red than what you see in the pics. By the way, sorry about the smudges on the finish, I played it a fair bit last night. The neck has a satiny smoothness to it that feels great, probably the first thing I noticed about it. The bass is set up beautifully. It was comfortable to play immediately and balances nicely. I like the wide neck and string spacing. I don't do much slapping on 5 strings but this one makes it inviting.

Soundwise, this model is ash/maple and has an agressive, metallic character. The notes all ring out clearly and evenly with excellent sustain. The B string is excellent, I'm always impressed by 34" scale basses with a clear low B (like my Ken Smith). I'm starting to wonder if I still need my Dingwall (did I just say that?!!) The electronics are straightforward and sound fantastic and don't hum when I'm seated in front of my computer monitor, where I do alot of my playing. This instrument might not be your first choice for Motown, but for clean, agressive, ballsy, piano-like tone it excels. All in all a modern sounding bass, just like the name suggests. Mine doesn't have the vintage tone control however. I suppose if the tonal character gets too much at times, I'll take a break and switch to one of my other basses.

I haven't played it with a band yet but it sounds great at home so I can't wait to hear it in a group context. This is definitely a player's bass, built for comfort. I've heard so much hype about Sadowskys on TB that I was worried that playing one would be a letdown. Thankfully, it was not. It was the standout amongst the MTD, Elricks, Modulus, Zon, Mike Lull, and Roscoe (which came in 2nd) that I also played. Your mileage may vary of course.

Some features I appreciate:

1) I like the string tree design. It runs over all the strings, ensuring that each one has a good break angle.
    2) The truss rod adjuster is very easy to get at.
    3) I love the case it came with. Light like a gig bag but offering more protection.

If you have any questions, let me know.

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

2. Wow, I've always wanted one of those. How do the Sadowsky soapbars sound? Any chance of getting some sound clips of it?

Congrats by the way.

3. steve21

steve21 Banned

Holy damn that trans red is a beauty.

4. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    TOTALLY JEALOUS!!!

5. That's a nice looking bass! I bought my M5-24 a little over a year ago from Bass Central as well. You can see mine (11th bass down) on their Sadowsky page. http://www.basscentral.com/2003/sadowsky.shtml

I've found that I can make this bass work on nearly everything, even Motown as long as you aren't trying to duplicate the P bass thing exactly. The clean and tight sound is great live and it records beautifully. Also, the playability is really smooth and it's easy to play chords and lines all the way up the neck.

Others may disagree, but for me, the VTC is a must have for this bass.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine.

6. YCBass

YCBass Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    +1. Great color choice!

7. If I can figure out how to record some samples, yes I will definitely post them.

8. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Great choice! I played a few of the M5-24s at Bass Central before I got mine used in the classifieds here. That's a BEAUTY! Good job describing it too.

You should consider installing the VTC. It gives you a billion more tonal options. It really is insane... in the best possible way!

I know I've come close to selling her a few times recently, but it just feels the best ever, and really does sound great. I can't wait for my new cab to get here, because it BEGS for the punch of 10 inch drivers :).

9. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    My favorite color for basses!

2074362390_9f6d7a7225.

10. I would hope you would think it's amazing for the money you have to shell-out for those things.

11. i hate you

12. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Worth every last penny.

13. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Ah, you beat me to it! No VTC on mine. I've got enough knobs and stuff on my rig to tame the top end.

Riis

14. VJP

VJP Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2001
    NJ
    Beautiful bass. You can do a reasonable P Bass/Motown thing with just the neck pick up on and the VTC (if you have it) rolled down a bit.

That's the spirit:rolleyes:

15. Congrats Viking! I have one of those too. Mine's black with a rosewood board.

I recently strung mine with Sadowsky Blue Label Nickels. Killer!!

Enjoy!

Carlo T.

16. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Nice!!! :bassist:

17. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I love that red! I'm surprised Sadowsky Moderns aren't more prominent on the Urban Gospel circuit. They certainly have the tone that many of those guys go for.:)

18. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Hello again Anthony!

I agree with you, but where I really think the moderns come into their own is pick playing on grindy modern rock. Almost all of them I've played impressed me as great for that stuff.

Congratulations, that is a beautiful bass

19. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Good to see you back.:cool: I see your point.

20. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Hey, I'm just a white guy from the 'burbs but I've always associated Urban Gospel with MTD's and Ken Smiths. How do the 3 stack up against each other in that arena?

Riis